Page 159 of 159 FirstFirst ... 59109149157158159
Results 1,581 to 1,590 of 1590

Thread: Alternate Day Fasting-Support and Chat page 159

emmie is offline Senior Member
    Please don't go by posts you read. Most people don't even check the actual JUDDD plan but go by what other people tell them.

When I did JUDDD, I checked the site and then bought Dr. J's book and read that.

There's no 'window.' There are a lot of people who insist on eating all their DD calories at one meal, but I prefer to spread throughout the day. With JUDDD, you can eat any foods--the plan is based solely on calories. So the people you're reading who eat rice and pasta may not be Primal?

I always eat low carb because I'm very carb sensitive, but a lot of people choose JUDDD because it allows them to eat anything. They are often the ones who fail first because they can't control their up days.

IMO Primal would work well with JUDDD. Although I began with low carb, by the time I discovered Primal, the only thing I had to lose was my peanut butter, since I was basically eating whole foods and had long since given up all grains.

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    Essentially, JUDDD or ADF is eat one day to low calorie the next. People adjust the details to work for their own personal needs.

PHD is a form of primal in which people eat some starches typically rice, potatoes, and sweet potatoes. Primal eating tends to have different foods depending on who wrote the book.
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

janeen is offline Senior Member

Alternate Day Fasting-Support and Chat

And then there's intermittent fasting, in which people usually do eat within a window.

And for all of these, you could eat primal or not, low carb or not, or whatever.

I think most people here are mostly primal, at least most of the time. There are huge debates about how low or high carb people should eat. And lots of debate about how to do intermittent fasting (of which ADF is a subset, I would say), and whether or not it is even advisable to do it at all.

I find this to be a great place to get information, opinions, ideas, and support. Definitive answers, agreement, not so much. . YMMV.
    Last edited by janeen; 08-02-2014 at 06:52 AM.
    Janeen

I totally agree that total agreement in this arena doesn't happen (see what I did there&#128521. I believe the point is to figure out what works for you and your life. There is no such thing as the perfect plan as far as the masses are concerned. But you can develop your own perfect plan.
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Mizaditude is offline Member
    Thanks for the answers! As far as the fasting, I just didn't want to do it wrong. But from what I've been reading the best fast is at least 14hrs so my body is in fat burning mode but no more than 2 days so I won't go into starvation mode and don't go over the calories for my down days. Does that sound right?

Well, I would say that there is very little research that proves anything, what you can sustain will end up being right. There is really no wrong way within reason.

On my low calorie/modified fasting days (I do 3 days a week) I stop eating at dinner on (let's say) Monday night at around 6:30, then I don't ingest any calories (but lots of liquids) until at least 4:30 the next day, which ends up being 22 to 24 hours. At which point I make myself a smoothie of 500 calories, and a balanced macro make-up. then no calories again until coffee and cream on Wednesday morning (I don't eat breakfast) and then no calories/food until 4:30 when I have a small snack, and then dinner at around 6:30. I don't count calories on my non-fasting days though I do not do a free for all.

My "fast" days are Sun/Tues/Thurs, and I allow myself no more than one treat day a week.

I am losing about a pound to a pound and a half a week. YMMV

Mizaditude is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by demuralist View Post
    Well, I would say that there is very little research that proves anything, what you can sustain will end up being right. There is really no wrong way within reason.

On my low calorie/modified fasting days (I do 3 days a week) I stop eating at dinner on (let's say) Monday night at around 6:30, then I don't ingest any calories (but lots of liquids) until at least 4:30 the next day, which ends up being 22 to 24 hours. At which point I make myself a smoothie of 500 calories, and a balanced macro make-up. then no calories again until coffee and cream on Wednesday morning (I don't eat breakfast) and then no calories/food until 4:30 when I have a small snack, and then dinner at around 6:30. I don't count calories on my non-fasting days though I do not do a free for all.

My "fast" days are Sun/Tues/Thurs, and I allow myself no more than one treat day a week.

I am losing about a pound to a pound and a half a week. YMMV
    What do your smoothies usually consist of? I got a supposedly low carb smoothie book and it completely sucks! The carbs in one smoothie were like 50-100g for every smoothie in this book! So needless to say that book wasn't very useful. And what's a macro make up?

I'm on my second afd and I'm really surprised that I'm not hungry yet. I had dinner around 6:30/7 yesterday and I've been up since 4am (working) and haven't gotten hungry yet. Normally when I'm working this early I would have eaten around 6am and around 10/11am, I would have eaten again. It's 11:30 here and I'm feeling fine so far. My partner even had food I'm the ambulance with me and I was good! But I can say I'm looking forward to my curried chicken soup that I made yesterday in the crock pot later lol.

my smoothies are not low carb by that standard then. They run about 50 to 60 carbs, but those are the total carbs for the day, so it is still a very low carb day. It is what I "eat" on my fast day.

Did you ask...what is a macro make-up (the grams of calories, carb, fat, protein in a food), or what is the macro make- up of the smoothie...they have about 475 to 500 calories, 50 to 60 g carb, 30ish g of fat, 60ish g protein...I use coconut milk (I make this it has about 30 calories for 8oz.), 92g of egg whites, 30g Z Natural whey protein, some combination of fruits and greens (usually berries, maybe half a banana, hand full of spinach-all frozen), 1/2 an avocado, then I add Great Lakes gelatin, chia, flax meal, matcha powder, and some super tea booster-chocolate mate I got from Republic of Tea, also pure liquid stevia if needed.

I am someone who does better if I don't do food on my fast days, it is harder for me to stop eating than it is for me to not eat. But if necessary, I can remove an ingredient if I did eat something. And of course, I can skip it all together if I ate too much. But I always track my fast days, I only intermittently track my non-fasting days.

I am glad your fast day is going well, some are better than others, but attitude and how busy I am make a huge difference.

janeen is offline Senior Member
    Ok, now I have to ask. Has anyone here also tried any variation of the potato hack? Either in conjunction with ADF or just separately?

I'm pretty committed to low-carb Paleo, but there's a thread that got bumped, and I've read quite a bit, but still don't have a handle on how successful people have been. So... Just wondering.
    Janeen

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Nope. The reason my version of ADF works for me is he minimum number of other rules.
    Chris
    Unknown