Page 151 of 156 FirstFirst ... 51101141149150151152153 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,510 of 1557

Thread: Alternate Day Fasting-Support and Chat page 151

Barnyard is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Merry Christmas! i am in the middle of 2 up days, and struggling to keep the sweets to, shall we say, less than a whole boatload! Kind of looking forward to a down day tomorrow!
    The life I have today is far better than I deserve.......

M, 56, 6'0
    SW - 192
    CW - 175
    GW - 165-170

Current addiction: ice cream (and sugar in general).....doing battle with it!

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    A good Down Day yesterday. It helped that I was busy with yardwork(cutting down five trees) ALL DAY, and there was literally no time for food. I did manage to drink enough water.

Then at the end of the day, the friend who was helping us suggested going out for dinner. Honey helped me out by saying we would love to, another time, but that I wasn't eating this day. And he held firm. Luckily, we were both so tired that going out held no appeal. Though the restaurant itself did- I have been wanting to try it out since it opened. Maybe another day soon.

Feeling very pleased with my weight on my exit from this good old year. Mid-160s, lower than I have been in the last 24 years, and feeling confident I will get to my goal in 2014. It is such a different feeling from past years. I'm loving it! Thank you, ADF!

What I did in 2013:

Discovered ADF accidentally, and reduced my weight from 202 to 162 over nine months. (Still doing low-carb primal, only better.)
    Learned patience about food.
    Discovered how to get back on track quickly after slips.
    Detached from emotional dependence on the scale.
    Enjoyed myself.

My plans for 2014:

I am starting January 1st with a Down Day. Not because it is the New Year, but just because that is my regular rotation.

I am hopeful that the last of the Christmas bloat will come off quickly, and normal weight reduction will resume at my normal pace (1 pound per week). I think I will be at 154(my first goal) around the end of February.

Then I plan to maintain for 3 months, to let my body adjust. I am going to try 4:3 to do this, switching to 5:2 if I continue to lose weight(more than two pounds in one month).

Then, I will resume 'dieting' and go down to 140. For the first time, that doesn't seem like a fantasy, but just an actual plan that WILL happen.

And...drumroll... I will start exercising again. Thirty minutes of aerobic activity on the mornings after a Down Day before I eat, and going to the gym once a week with my Honey again.

I'm not thrilled with this last plan, but I feel I need to do it.

Sweet Leilani is offline Senior Member
    Hi all,

I'm moving to an ADF format and my plan is for my fasting days to be nothing but water. I'll be doing a 36/12, so every second day I will eat (keto) between 8am - 8pm. I just completed a 3 days fast and really really enjoyed it, so am thinking a 36/12 split might be spot on for me. At any time if I want to throw in a 3 days fast I only have to drop one window I haven't read all the pages in this thread, but i hope to over the next few days to get up to speed.. looking forward to chatting with you all
    I don't believe there is one correct way of eating for everybody, and I don't believe there is one correct way of eating for a person through every stage of their life

Hi, SweetLeilani. Good to have you joining us.

elkay7 is offline Member
    Happy New Year everyone! I had been at my in-laws house for the holidays and just had a minor surgery yesterday so I haven't been checking the forum. I was pretty bad over the holidays drinking a bunch, eating cookies, and general feasting. I did manage to fast 3 or 4 times, but it was generally gluttony. My father-in-law is going to try ADF too. He had been eating fairly primal for months and then fell way off the wagon when we went to Hawaii in September and has gone crazy since (gravy, pancakes, brownies, pasta, lots of bread, etc). So he gained back all of the weight he lost and is trying to drop it again.

Yesterday I got a cyst removed (have had an eye on it for 2-3 yrs and it had only gotten larger/more irritating) so I was knocked out and drugged up for that. I am on a narcotic for pain so I am feeling bloated and constipated, as well as I need to eat with the pills or my stomach gets upset. Bleh. So I am up about 5 lbs (or my old scale was off up to 5 lbs, also possible). I got a new scale for Christmas, one of the Weight Watchers ones that also estimates body fat, water content, and bone mass, which is nifty. It also estimates BMI. I also got a digital food scale, so that should make calorie counting more accurate.

My former co-worker told me she has successfully dropped 23 lbs and hit her goal weight since going low carb and adding in ADF after reading my blog, so that was exciting news. She had been on Weight Watchers for years with little progress.

I hope 2014 is the year I hit that goal weight of mine. I have about 12 lbs to my goal. I need to get strict with ADF again after I am off the pain meds. At least I filled a couple of garbage bags full of baggy clothes for donation, which is exciting. Most of my medium shirts are now tarps on me and all of my size 12 dresses and pants had to go, even some of the larger 10s (I am obviously a pear-shape).
    Blogging my weight loss experiment using alternate day fasting here:

http://tryingadf.blogspot.com

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Lauren, so excited to see you posting here again. Glad everything is going pretty well. I think we all have a little holiday bloat!

I am aiming for a 'no breaks' rotation for the month of January. I JUST barely made it yesterday, calorie-wise, after an evening with friends. But JUST BARELY is still making it, so I'm feeling good.

Barnyard is offline Senior Member
    Yes I too experienced some holiday gluttony, as in unmanageable eating of sweets at times.......but I also managed to keep some down days in there, if not every other day then every 3rd day.....and lost 3 pounds! I am now officially excited about this process, you are right Sabine it gets a little easier the more I do it......Yeehaa!
    The life I have today is far better than I deserve.......

M, 56, 6'0
    SW - 192
    CW - 175
    GW - 165-170

Current addiction: ice cream (and sugar in general).....doing battle with it!

slnm is offline Junior Member
    Hello Everyone,

I'm excited to discover this ADF support forum here at MDA. I've tried intermittent fasting in the past and could never stick with it until I went high fat. For the past month or so I've had zero trouble fasting 16 to 18 hours a day. I've been eating maybe 20% of my calories as safe starches ALA Perfect Health Diet. In the past week, I've cut that down to do very low carb, basically green leafy veggies and cruciferous veggies, and other non-sugary veggies with the occasional apple, maybe two or three a week, when my body asks for it. Whether I do moderate carb or low carb seems to make no difference to my hunger. As long as I eat lots of good fat (coconut oil, butter, MCT oil, cream (raw when I can get it) I can go hours and hours without being hungry and when I am hungry it's never a blood sugar thing where I can't wait an hour or three to eat. And, I keep the protein moderate. I've been eating 8 or 10 ounces a day of animal protein (mainly grass fed meat, wild salmon, and eggs) split into two meals. I may want to up the protein now that I'm eating fewer carbs. We'll see.

I'm intrigued with longer intermittent fasts because I have a couple of health issues that are not improving with just a clean paleo diet. I weighed in at 171.4 pounds this morning and 26.2% body fat according to my Tanita scale. While I don't trust the body fat number I do trust the trend and I'm 6% higher in fat than I'd like to be. My goal is to weigh 155 and to consistently be under 20% according to the Tanita. But, it's not so much about the weight and body comp as it is about my knowing that something is out of balance in my body as I used to weight 155. I just turned 50 and gained 10 pounds of fat a year ago and, even with a decent amount of exercise (weight lifting and kettlebell work) the weight and fat stayed on.

Also, there's a lot of neurological stuff in my family. A few months ago I started noticing some mild cognitive symptoms that I want to nip in the bud. Now, that I'm 50 I've gotten serious about avoiding that decline that my parents experienced.

Anyway, here I am. Yesterday was my first down day although I ate more than the 500 calories that I should eat in a down day. I ate a cup of raw heavy whipping cream (manna from the gods). That was 800 calories. I rowed at a moderate speed on my home rower for close to an hour. (I stay as close to a heart rate of 135 beats per minute as I can.) And, I hiked with a friend, walked the dog, and danced for a couple of hours. So, I'm good. Today will be an up day. I've not eaten in 23 1/2 hours and I'm not hungry. Nice!

Sol

labgirl is offline Junior Member
    Jiminy - I go away for a week and there are 3 pages of posts to catch up on
    I am back at 187 - still a freaking miracle for me - I keep expecting to see 200 at any moment. I kind of decided to do whatever I wanted until this week - too many relatives and potlucks etc. AND I AM STILL AT 187!
    That is only 2 pounds over where I was before Thanksgiving and I am so utterly thrilled.
    I am going to pick up my first down day tomorrow as I do Mon, Wed, Fri. I am going to do a week of shakes and go to 2 shakes and a chicken breast or other lean meat and a salad for dinner on my down days.

Just checking in to report it is going well.

How boring my posts have become!

My last Down Day menu was 4oz of cod for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, plus a small green salad(2C greens, 1C other veg) added to my dinner. It was one of my better Down Day menus, well worth repeating. I did something similar with salmon soon after I began ADF, but you know how it is, you try different things, and forget about some of them, even if they worked well. I should probably go back and read my journal, and this thread, to see what else I have forgotten about.

Today I am doing water during the day, with a planned dinner of green salad with turkey. Serving the kids turkey pot pie for dinner, so it seemed a good use of the bird.

How is everyone else doing?