Page 15 of 159 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565115 ... LastLast

Thread: Alternate Day Fasting-Support and Chat page 15

valmason01 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Every experience helps! We are all different but learning what others do gives a basis to start. I am going to stick w/ less carbs. Veggies, protein and some healthy fats!
    [SIZE=3][FONT=Century Gothic]You know all those things you have always wanted to do? You should go do them.

Age 48
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    CW 180 lbs (whole foods/primal eating)
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

252dlp is offline Senior Member
    For my down day yesterday I had some full fat greek yogurt with just a teaspoon of coconut sugar, and I swear I got hungry after that, lol. I was having the "wave" hunger up until then, and it wasn't bad at all, but after eating that yogurt I got hungry and by the time I went to bed my stomach was sort of "burning". Other than that I sipped broth with butter, boullion and coconut oil in it.

My second down day is tomorrow and it's a work day. That makes me nervous and I'm not sure how I'll do, but I've decided I'm going to wait as long as possible before I eat, lol. I've got some things entered into MFP for tomorrow, but I think I'll probably change it up. I bought some beef broth at the Farmer's Market today, but not sure what to do with it.

My current diary: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread100765.html
    My original diary: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread77760.html

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    For support on the down days, I find these blog posts helpful (they were written for intermittent fasters, but I think the info is still applicable for us:

Why You Shouldn’t Eat When Hungry | Cogito Ergo Edo

You Will Be Hungry | The Simple Saloon

Gladmorning is offline Senior Member
    I think that is a really good point, dragonfly. Hunger is something we should get used to. Not something to fear. I am looking forward to my down day tomorrow. A little tired of eating today.
    The process is simple: Free your mind, and your ass will follow.

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    I have been trying to stick to mostly low carb primal on my Up Days. One of the things I found strange over at lowcarbfriends, was that many people do not stay low carb on their up days. Or even their down days! It is as though, trying this new diet, they have put aside whatever they learned about low carb. I do not want to do that. Low carb primal makes me feel very good, and I want to stick with it.

There WAS dark chocolate yesterday, though, and some ice cream. (Easter!) But otherwise: lox, cheese, fruit, lamb chop, zucchini, pesto, coconut, chicken, cauliflower, sweet potato, butter. I'm pleased with how I ate.

I seem to have found a set pattern for my Down Days which is comfortable. Three small meals: vegetable slurry with poached egg, small spinach salad, and yogurt. My third Down Day (of eating) was the worst. After that, they have been just business as usual.

I'm coming up on four weeks of doing this at the end of this week, and I'm going to post my numbers then. I figure that is a long enough time to see what's what.

Ever since I started trying fasting last year, I have been less afraid of hunger. It is a good place to be. But I DO think that hunger coming from being fat-adapted and hunger while you are still a sugar-burner, are two different animals. One tame, the other wild.

Gladmorning is offline Senior Member
    Agreed, Sabine.

Well, my Easter feeding frenzy of spaghetti (used GF brown rice noodles which were awesome) roasted turkey chocolates, chips and a LOT of red wine left me with three lbs of water weight. Oh well. It was a really great day with my family. We ate, drank and were very, very Merry! Haha! I am so glad it's my down day though. Does anyone get tired of eating sometimes? I mean, I know it sounds weird, but by the end of the night, I was so tired of looking at food.

Had I not been 5lbs ahead of my goal for the month, I would have been really upset about holding water weight, but I am totally ok with it. I know I will be back on track in a few days. Only have to lose 5 lbs to reach my April month goal of 270. I had set out to go down 10 every month, but March's loss was 7 lbs over and Feb 8 lbs over. I haven't readjusted my goals yet, because I believe things will being to slow down.
    The process is simple: Free your mind, and your ass will follow.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Our Easter feeding frenzy involved baking a 2-1/2 pound package of bacon ends and pieces, dumping it in a serving bowl, and scrambling some eggs. NOM.

252dlp is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the links!! I will definitely admit that I am afraid to be hungry. I'm not sure where that came from, but it's deeply rooted apparently. Reading those sites will keep me occupied today. I am just slightly hungry, but I'm determined to wait as long as possible to eat. I had a commuter mug of decaf coffee with about 1T of HWC on my way to work (5:00 am), so just being slightly hungry now isn't that bad. For lunch I brought about 2 cups of beef stock, 1.2 oz of chicken liver and three one-bite potatoes. For dinner I'll have a bigger helping of chicken liver and some mushrooms.

Didn't really have an Easter frenzy, lol, though it DID feel like I was eating all day. Still, my overall calories were right at or slightly below what I would normally eat in a day...it just SEEMED like I ate more. I did weigh everything, so I know the calories are pretty accurate.

My current diary: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread100765.html
    My original diary: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread77760.html

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 252dlp View Post
    Thanks for the links!! I will definitely admit that I am afraid to be hungry. I'm not sure where that came from, but it's deeply rooted apparently. Reading those sites will keep me occupied today. I am just slightly hungry, but I'm determined to wait as long as possible to eat.
    What you need to do is develop a relationship with your hunger. Start by asking yourself, "On a scale of 0 to 10, where 0 is 'literally starving' 5 is 'neither hungry nor full,' and 10 is 'so full I think I'm nauseated," what number am I at?

Learn to notice how hunger is not constant, but comes and goes in waves, depending on a lot of things that have little or nothing to do with when you most recently ate and how much you ate.

If you're trying to lose weight, you should avoid being full, and teach yourself to stop eating when you are no longer hungry.

Down at the bottom you will find a "famished" point where you may be too hungry, so hungry you can't control yourself once you start eating. You need to learn to avoid getting quite that hungry.

murf73 is offline Senior Member
    Well, yesterday was my first down day, and I am not totally pleased with how it went. I hit the 24 hours mark, and then instead of eating my 500 calories as planned. I over ate simply because I wanted more food. Eating only 500 calories is much harder than just passing up food all together. I also got a MAJOR headache after eating. I think I got dehydrated. So, lessons learned:
    Drink a lot of water
    I think next time I will just skip the 400-500 calories thing because it's easier to just not eat.

Today for my Up day, I am going to focus on drinking a lot of water and eating whole 30 food to satisfaction. Looking forward to trying again tomorrow!