Page 147 of 158 FirstFirst ... 4797137145146147148149157 ... LastLast
Results 1,461 to 1,470 of 1577

Thread: Alternate Day Fasting-Support and Chat page 147

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Congratulations on hitting the 35-pound mark, Lauren. That's fantastic!

I don't track my macros: it's too much like counting.

5islands is offline Junior Member
    Hey guys and gals! I've been following this post and read the 80 or so pages and decided, heck I might as well jump on the bandwagon if you don't mind?

I've been following Primal for a couple of years always ending in a major binge at some point during a week or two of strict primal. I figured that it was because of depriving myself of foods that I love which is your grains of course. I was a vegan for several years and kept my weight at a satisfying number for me until my energy dropped so drastically that I had to search for an alternative lifestyle. After the eat/ binge cycle just wasn't working for me yet again and another failed Paleo attempt I decided to go back to Vegan. Well big mistake because I put on 10-15 pounds of fat in a very short time despite watching calories and exercising I hit rock bottom because I'm pretty vain and I had to seek some help somewhere. I decided to get the help of a naturalpath who put me on high dose vitamins and said that my hormones are so out of balance that it's affecting my thyroid. At an extreme attempt I decided to fast for 10 days just to try to at least fit back into my whole wardrobe. The 10 days was obviously painful and my research led me to this forum.

I'm currently finishing my 3rd successful DD of alternating fasting. The scales are finally moving down for the first time in months of extreme efforts and frustration. I've been following JUDD and I've read the Mosley book and figured I would do that for maintenance once I'm at my goal weight.

Here's the kicker and sorry for the long post. I told my Dr. what I've been doing to try to lose weight and he goes on to tell me that the body goes into starvation mode at the 12 hour mark and that this lifestyle is highly not advised for me. He wants me to juice fruits and veggies for breakfast and dinner and have a protein smoothie during the day ending with my regular dinner time eating. This fasting seems to be working and helping my binges but I'm only 5 days into it so I'm here for the support.

Any advise welcome!

Thanks for listening

elkay7 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabine View Post
    I don't track my macros: it's too much like counting.
    I am such a numbers freak. :P
    Blogging my weight loss experiment using alternate day fasting here:

http://tryingadf.blogspot.com

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

elkay7 is offline Member
    Welcome 5islands. It sounds like you have a ton of willpower with having been vegan and doing a 10-day fast.

My only advice is to listen to the signs your body is giving you when you are trying to find a way of eating that works for you. I keep a food diary so I can document how foods and my diet may be impacting how I function. I have found a lot of doctors do not know a lot if anything about fasting diets and the research that is being done on them (much less nutrition) and often just repeat the diet advice they learn from private institutions, which are often funded by food manufacturers. My own GP had never heard of fasting diets at all. The "everybody should eat this way" approach obviously doesn't make any sense.
    Blogging my weight loss experiment using alternate day fasting here:

http://tryingadf.blogspot.com

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Quote Originally Posted by 5islands View Post
    ... I told my Dr. what I've been doing to try to lose weight and he goes on to tell me that the body goes into starvation mode at the 12 hour mark and that this lifestyle is highly not advised for me. He wants me to juice fruits and veggies for breakfast and dinner and have a protein smoothie during the day ending with my regular dinner time eating. This fasting seems to be working and helping my binges but I'm only 5 days into it so I'm here for the support.

Any advise welcome!
    If you search this site, or go to the JUDDD thread on lowcarbfriends, you will find plenty of studies on fasting. From my reading, I think your doctor is misinformed about when the body goes into 'starvation mode'. The 'good' autophagy doesn't even seem to begin until about 14 hours in, and the 'bad' starvation(Oh-my-God-my metabolism-is-slowing-and-I'm eating my muscles!) mode doesn't come along for several days, perhaps up to as many as ten, depending on your personal situation.

If grains/sugars are your downfall, I think his 'prescription' of juicing is more likely to set you up for insulin surges, and cravings.

These are both things you should read up on so you can feel secure in either talking to your doctor about it and/or ignoring his advice if you decide that's what's best for you. (I am assuming you are of normal health, and don't have a mysterious issue that makes fasting impossible.)

(You can probably guess my bias here, but what's important is that you figure out what YOU think.)

Are you doing complete/water-fasts on your Down Days? Or doing the 500K thing?

I think personal experience trumps all. If it is working for you, why not continue?

Oh, and...HI!

I agree guys, thank you for your advise. The ten day fast lasted two days and that's how I came across this forum, looking for answers. I broke the fast with 500 cals and that's what I've been sticking with because it's totally manageable. Workouts that I wasn't able to finish before these fasted days are completed with ease. The energy is amazing, the hunger subsides and it apparently get's easier with time. I'm loving this so far and I hope to continue with 500 DD and Primal UD.

I was having second thoughts about my Dr's advice and your opinions only confirmed my suspicions. If it's not broke, why fix it. I don't have medical problems that would interfere with fasting. I'll keep you all posted on my progress.

If you want a 'go-around' to saying you are doing ADF, it is easy, and truthful, to just give your average calories. As in, if you eat 500K/2,000K, it is perfectly reasonable to say, 'oh, I'm reducing my calories, I eat about 1,250 on average.'

Everyone in 'the real world' loves hearing that you've reduced your calories.

I ate a large amount of fish yesterday. About 3/4lb of cod for lunch, and then two generous plates of sashimi. I LOVE fish days!

Good idea, you're right about the reduced calories! That's what I'll use from here on out. I downloaded a weight tracker to graph my progress just to give me inspiration. I weighed myself today and I'm down a pound from my last DD In total, I'm down 5lbs in 6 days. I know it's H20 and dietary changes in the beginning but it's the best progress that I have made in a year at least. My eating is also in control for the first time in years!!!!

Mmmmmmm, you've got me craving fish, sashimi here I come lol!

labgirl is offline Junior Member
    As of this morning I hit my 12 year old goal - 185 lbs. I can now shop at Victoria's Secret for bras instead of Lane Bryant ( YAY! SQUEAL!!) and My pants fall don if I walk briskly. I bought some new shirts for work about a month ago and they arrived yesterday. I had been holding my breath in case I was wildly optimistic but they fit !!!
    So I have lost 12 pounds since I started and I have told everyone I know. People have been telling me that they are noticing.

Now - my question is this - I have a floppy tummy now. How can I tone it up and get it not so saggy. I realize that this is a long time in the making - I was much heavier than this for many years and my skin had to accomodate that fat. I have been losing fairly slowly until now. My daughter made a comment today when we were bra shopping and I realized that it is getting saggy.
    Plastic surgery is not an option or even desirable.

THanks for the information,

Congratulations on making your goal, labgirl. That's great.