Page 146 of 158 FirstFirst ... 4696136144145146147148156 ... LastLast
Results 1,451 to 1,460 of 1577

Thread: Alternate Day Fasting-Support and Chat page 146

Sabine is offline Senior Member

Finally! Something different to report.

Shop Now
    I've been doing a 4-day food rotation(in addition to the ADF, low-carb primal [man, just realized this makes me sound like a whacko!]) to try and sort out some possible food sensitivities.

I don't like it.

It limits my options, means I have to plan my meals, and puts me into a 'deprivation' mind-set.

But I'm plugging away. Until yesterday, when I said 'Screw it!' and ate MANY bad things. Not just not on my rotation, but not low-carb, not primal. Not even sensible.

But it all tasted fantastic, and as it was an Up Day, I feel fine about it. (Not proud, but fine. I can live with fine.) Planning a normal Down Day today, resuming my good habits, and hoping for minimal bad reactions.

elkay7 is offline Member
    Finally wrote a new blog post. I included a line graph (super fancy, I know) of my weight loss progress over the last 32 weeks that might be of interest (including some weight gain setbacks). Still coasting at my current weight but it is that TOTM so I am not very concerned. I see a doctor this Saturday so I am hoping to talk them into ordering some blood work for me to compare it to prior to fasting.
    Blogging my weight loss experiment using alternate day fasting here:

http://tryingadf.blogspot.com

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Love seeing your graph. Those little upticks don't seem so upsetting, looking back at them. It's only when we are in throes that they get us down.
    I am doing about a pound per week average, also. If you told someone about 'this great diet where you can lose a pound per week' most people would probably scoff. But an easy pound that stays off is so much better than the hard three pounds always waiting to sneak back on.
    Still chugging along with my ADF and back on my 4-day rotations. Pork today.

elkay7 is offline Member
    I totally agree Sabine. I personally think a big part of why fasting is a successful eating pattern to lose weight is it forces you to learn what hunger feels like and not to just eat when one is bored or out of sheer habit. Plus, it's not like I can quit my job and work out 6 hours a day with a trainer like they do on those extreme weight loss shows to speed things up. I'm planning on closing out today's UD on a high note with an attempt at primal sweet potato gnocchi.

I am doing water fasting for my past few Down Days. It is just easier while I do these food rotations.

That said, I was very hungry on my last one. I think I will prep some lamb broth for next time, just in case.

elkay7 is offline Member
    Now that my hormones are back in check, I dropped those pesky 2 lbs! This is surprising after this weekend when I broke down and ate pizza and breadsticks. I am officially no longer overweight in the eyes of the BMI scale (barely). My size 10 jeans are officially silly big (there is now loose fabric in the knees, seat, and the waist gaps big time). Just 7 lbs away from my goal. Woo hoo!

My doctor appointment went well. Got blood drawn to check thyroid and cholesterol stuff, so if they don't call, everything is fine. My doctor was not familiar with ADF or fasting diets, so I told him about it. He did not seem to think there was anything wrong with this WOE since the fasting period is short and I am losing weight at a healthy pace. My pulse and BP was normal too. So I am going to keep plugging away with it.

Also, sweet potato gnocchi was a disaster. There are just some foods where replacing flour will never be the same.

vlo1125 is offline Senior Member
    Hey guys long time since I've checked in its nice to see that both of you are still doing this Sabine and elkay! I can't believe you are so close to goal elkay, that's amazing!

I am 29 weeks pregnant and in my third trimester. My first trimester I managed to not gain anything but I can't say the same for my 2nd trimester. I am now up 20lbs and with another 10 weeks to go I'm a little scared of how much more I can gain. Especially since the third trimester is when you gain the most! Although I strive to remain primal most days I end up only being able to claim that I'm gluten free which just isn't the same. Couple that with a few really bad weeks where I ate whatever I wanted and there's the 20 lbs. I really wanted to only gain 25-30lbs for this entire pregnancy but at this point I feel like it'll be a miracle if I can keep it at 30lbs. I just did a big groceries and stocked up on a lot of primal essentials so I think I just need to refocus on keeping it as clean as possible for the duration of this pregnancy.

I can't wait to return to doing juddd along with primal after I have the baby but I need to figure out if fasting every other day will affect breast milk quality/ production. I hope not cause I know that these two things work great together and I can't wait to get started again.
    Veronica
    High weight: 255 lbs
    Start weight 1/26/13: 233 lbs
    Current 5/24/13: 204 lbs
    Goal: Healthy

Good to hear that your pregnancy is going so well. As long as you are eating healthy things, don't worry about the weight you gain during pregnancy. You're building a baby and laying down some good fat to turn into breast milk. Also, you do not necessarily gain the most in the last trimester. Everyone has their own particular pattern.

Don't forget to do your squats and Kegels!

elkay7 is offline Member
    Good to hear from you Veronica! I was wondering how you and your baby were doing. Is this your first pregnancy while eating primal? My mother is a pediatrician and has always told me that basically the only time in your life a woman's body consumes the stubborn fat stored in ones thighs is during breastfeeding. So at least there is that!

I reached the 35 lb (15.9 kg) milestone this morning, just 6 to go! In terms of dietary changes, I have been typically drinking two cups or more of green tea for the catechins a day in addition to my fasting schedule over the last couple of weeks in addition to a cup of black tea to start my day and herbal tea at night now that it hits freezing at night in Seattle.

I have also been reading "Good Calories, Bad Calories" by Gary Taubes and it is blowing my mind and inspiring me to be more strict about eating primal and unlearning all the dieting and health mythology that has been in my head about saturated fats, cholesterol, animal meats, etc. I haven't got any word back on my bloodwork yet, so I assume either they haven't gotten to it or everything looks normal. Highly recommend this book if you haven't read it.

Does anyone here track/know what % of their calories they are getting from fat vs. protein vs. carbs? I just crunched some of my numbers on this and it appears unlearning the USDA's old food pyramid is going slowly. It looks like overall I'm still getting at least 40% of my calories from carbs (down from 45% before ADF), 34% from fat (up from 28%), and only 15% from protein (up from 13%) with 11% mystery calories.