Page 143 of 158 FirstFirst ... 4393133141142143144145153 ... LastLast
Results 1,421 to 1,430 of 1577

Thread: Alternate Day Fasting-Support and Chat page 143

Sabine is offline Senior Member

SNAP + ADF update

Primal Fuel
    Well, I made it through my SNAP challenge. And for me, it really WAS a challenge. I learned a lot, but I won't address it all here, just the part that I think relates to ADF.

One of the aspects of ADF that appeals to me is...Anything I want, every other day. Since I am only eating (to any great extent) half of my days, I have started eating only things I really want. No wasting my time and calories on ho-hum foods. And sadly, on SNAP, it is mostly ho-hum. I would eat all of those meals again, but I would definitely jazz them up with extras, and not have them twice, or thrice in a row, as I had to do this past week.

So I felt the restriction of my diet a lot this week. Down Days were the easiest (except for not getting enough on Up Days leading to lingering hunger issues) because I wasn't looking for food enjoyment. Aside from my kombucha. Yay for kombucha!

I did go down more this past week (5 pounds versus my normal 1-2) and I hope to hold on to some of that, but it was not a pleasant way to do it, and I would not do it for weight reduction.

Very important to me in doing ADF is that it is a method I foresee being able to use long-term. (As I have already been doing it for 7 months, I think I am right about this. This is the longest I have held to any 'plan'.) The SNAP is definitely NOT sustainable long term for me, and I could feel the desire to 'eat, eat, anything, just eat' building in me, reversing my ADF control.

Yesterday was my first day off the SNAP challenge. By my schedule, it was meant to be a Down Day, but I made it a Medium Day instead. I treated myself to something I really like- sashimi- and immediately felt happy. Today I will be having a normal Up Day. I don't think I will go crazy with amounts, but I do anticipate enjoying eat whatever I like, and not just what is on the plan.

And then a normal Down Day on Friday. I'm looking forward to entering it with no hunger.

elkay7 is offline Member
    I'm still plugging along with ADF. I have been naughty and taking extra feast days for social outings though. This hasn't seemed to slow my weight loss progress too much though. I've managed to lose 5 lbs in just less than a month. I think a part of this not eating a crazy amount of of calories anymore and eating less refined foods and grains since I have settled back more into my normal eating routines. I am one pound away from where I was before I entered maintenance mode before my wedding in August.
    Blogging my weight loss experiment using alternate day fasting here:

http://tryingadf.blogspot.com

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

joyfulsong21 is offline Junior Member
    I'm really happy to find this thread! I've been basically doing this for about the past two weeks or so, just because I had been having some stomach issues that were keeping me from feeling like eating at all, and then I'd be hungry the next day. I probably should lose about 15 pounds or so (I was 185, 5'11", and would like to be firmly under 170), and I ended up dropping 3 pounds FAST. It was incredibly easy and natural-feeling, and since I've been primal I've found it easy to do IF and even occasional longer fasts. I actually prefer the down days in terms of energy and overall well being! So with all that being said, I'm planning to continue this way of eating and hopefully get some support (though I see this board is a little slow recently) in doing so... Hoping to lose these extra pounds and continue to see the energy benefits! (I've been more productive in the past week than I can remember being in the past 5 years!!)
    So my (somewhat personal) question is this: does anyone have issues with constipation (:-o) doing this? All of a sudden my bowels don't seem to be working right... I may have slacked a little on hydration, so I'm trying to be really careful about that, but other than that, has anyone else had any similar experiences? Any thoughts on reasons for that? My down days I generally drink kefir and have coffee, and a very small primal meal for dinner, and then the up days are just a standard 2000ish cal day of primal eating... Thoughts?

Hi, Joyfulsong. Glad to have you join us.

I didn't have any constipation issues when I switched over to ADF, but my standard advice is to try squatting, or even just putting your feet up(with no weight on them) while eliminating. I don't usually have issues, but even regular elimination is noticeably easier when I use the squatting rather than sitting position.

Thanks Sabine, hopefully it's just some dehydration issue, but I will try your suggestions as well.. Sorry to be so gross in my first posting here! haha
    Another down day for me today, and I have to say it makes me happy! I went out to lunch w/ coworkers yesterday, and then had dinner at a friend's house, so I tried to make as-primal-as-possible food choices, but it's so much easier when I don't have to make any of those decisions!

elkay7 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by joyfulsong21 View Post
    So my (somewhat personal) question is this: does anyone have issues with constipation (:-o) doing this? All of a sudden my bowels don't seem to be working right... I may have slacked a little on hydration, so I'm trying to be really careful about that, but other than that, has anyone else had any similar experiences? Any thoughts on reasons for that? My down days I generally drink kefir and have coffee, and a very small primal meal for dinner, and then the up days are just a standard 2000ish cal day of primal eating... Thoughts?
    Welcome joyfulsong! Do you think you are getting enough or too much fiber perhaps since starting ADF? I had not eaten very primal prior to doing ADF for awhile and found that I was eating a lot more fiber. You could try eating probiotic primal foods like kimchi too.
    Blogging my weight loss experiment using alternate day fasting here:

http://tryingadf.blogspot.com

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

elkay7, it's hard for me to say for sure whether I've gotten enough fiber lately... I haven't changed my diet too much (and I eat lots of veggies on my up days), since I've been pretty primal for a long time now, but I don't track what I eat (anymore) so I'm mostly guessing on calorie/nutrient intake, and going by how full I feel. I may try tracking for a few days and get a picture of how much fiber I'm actually eating. Thanks for the suggestions!

Well, here I am again, just poking my head in to say everything is going well. Went off ADF for about a week, and then got right back into it. The first Down Day back was a little hungry, second and third were fine, just like old times. My size 14 jeans are now VERY loose, but the 12s are a little tight. Like trying to grow out bangs--the between stage is a killer!

How is everybody else (is there anyone else besides Elkay?) doing?

Doing great here Sabine!! Glad to hear that it wasn't difficult to get back into your swing 12's are right around the corner!

I intended to have both Saturday and Sunday as up days, because I tend to get bored more easily when I'm not at work, and generally boredom => hunger for me... But I had so many projects around the house that both days were just medium-level calorie days, around 1300 or 1400 calories... I find this happens to me often: I just get busy with life, and realize that I haven't eaten nearly enough on the up day as I should have. Does this happen to anyone else? I don't want to not eat enough, in terms of "metabolism slowing" and all those other scary consequences. But if I don't feel hungry, is that enough reason to not eat?

Glad that it has been going well for you, Joyfulsong. I think those medium days are fine, unless you notice that they are impacting your weight/inch loss. With ADF, you can stop losing because you are not eating enough.

So, do you do MWF as your Down Days? I am planning on trying that as my first step towards maintenance, when I get to goal. I like the idea of having free rein on both weekend days.