Page 13 of 158 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast

Thread: Alternate Day Fasting-Support and Chat page 13

lucy1984 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Second fast day for me today. I am eating up to maintenance calories on non-fast days (roughly), and so far haven't needed to go above this, so no rebound eating from the fast days. I tend to still count calories, as when I first started primal with the whole 'eat fat, don't count' mentality, I gained weight, and my thyroid condition means I need to be careful. But if this fasting works and I get back to my goal weight, rather than reduce the number of days I fast (so as not to lose TOO much weight) I intend to start being more primal - discard the calorie counting on non-fast days, and add more yummy fats etc. And maybe some bacon. And sweet potato. OK, must stop the food fantasy - did I mention that I am fasting at the moment haha?

252dlp is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lucy1984 View Post
    and so far haven't needed to go above this, so no rebound eating from the fast days.
    This is great news....this was one of my "worries" about trying ADF. I was never really hungry today (until now, lol), so the fast was fairly easy. And I'm really hoping there is no rebound.

My current diary: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread100765.html
    My original diary: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread77760.html

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

lucy1984 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 252dlp View Post
    This is great news....this was one of my "worries" about trying ADF. I was never really hungry today (until now, lol), so the fast was fairly easy. And I'm really hoping there is no rebound.
    Good luck!

On a side note, anyone experience an increased pulse while fasting??

jmsmall is offline Senior Member
    Wife and I are doing 5/2 plan. I've been in nutritional ketosis for 9 months now, and found that an all day fast (from dinner to dinner) was really not too difficult even on day 1. A year ago I did a one day religious fast (before going low carb) and it was a bit difficult. It makes sense to me, that I've trained my body to burn fat and believe me I have plenty of reserves! At 20% body fat, 3500 cal/pound, I have 105,000 calories of just fat to burn as I need.

Have done 3 fasts (Fri, Mon, Thurs) so far. I highly recommend avoiding carbs during the fast days so you don't get on the insulin roller coaster and get really hungry. Also find that it has gotten progressively easier each day. I get a bit tired toward the end of the fast day but Thursday tried doing my weight routine and it went fine. Dinner tasted great!

Quote Originally Posted by lucy1984 View Post
    On a side note, anyone experience an increased pulse while fasting??
    Well, I did have 1 little brief fast flutter today, but then I do tend to get that from time to time anyway, so not sure it's related at all to the fast. And, I did have caffeinated coffee early this morning. I think for my future down days, I'll try to avoid caffeine.

Gladmorning is offline Senior Member
    Everyone is doing so wonderful!

The most amazing thing to me is there is no weight rebound after up days! I was a little concerned about that. Ya know, you fast all day one day, and eat normally or 110% percent the next day. One would think weight would tend to bounce a little. So far, it has not for me! I am absolutely loving this. When I sit here and think about the success I've had in just two weeks with this I am just amazed. I am so glad that I started this, and found this thread. I love support threads. They are getting to be the only things worth reading here. So much argument.
    The process is simple: Free your mind, and your ass will follow.

murf73 is offline Senior Member
    Hello everyone!
    Today is my first fast day. I am pretty excited because I like fasting, and this alternate day fasting will be an interesting experiment. One question, on fasting days do you not eat anything at all or do you do that 300-500 calories thing? I think for me, the whole eating 300-400 calories would just make me feel deprived and on a diet, not fasting. So I am going to skip that, or do I need it?

otzi Guest
    Are any of you guys on Low Carb Friends? I posted a few things over there recently, and got this in my email today:

We hope you are enjoying Lowcarbfriends and find it really helpful to
    your needs. We wanted to take this opportunity to contact you to give
    you a heads up concerning a few of your posts. Please know that the
    Marks Daily Apple site does not conform to the rules of the LCF
    website. That site sells premium content, has a forum itself, and a
    store, etc. Because of the nature of their site, please refrain from
    posting about Mark's Daily Apple either by typing their name out or
    typing just their initials. Here is a link letting you know the basic
    rules of Lowcarbfriends.com It may help you further:
    I hope this is automated.

murf73 is offline Senior Member
    Wow, that is unbelievable. I guess they don't like a little competition??

My first dd went well, but at bedtime I was a little hungry and I actually couldn't sleep...just wasn't tired, lol. I think I went to bed around 9 (my normal time is a bit earlier) and laid awake until well after midnight. I had a couple of small snafus with my taxes and of course, that added anxiety to the laying awake, lol. But, I'm feeling great today, though a bit hungry. I think for future up days, the first meal might have to be more substantial than I've been used to since starting EMF. I think I will also have to save a small snack for bedtime on my down days or just eating a big dinner later. I ended up breaking a Lindt 90% square in half and eating one-half (it was ready and easy), but in the future it would be nice to have a more nutritious snack. So, my calories were slightly over 550, which was the number I got from the JUDDD website.

The good news. I am down 1.4 pounds from yesterday! I've also lost some inches, but that's from EMF...this will be a good baseline for next month though.

Quote Originally Posted by Gladmorning View Post
    I love support threads. They are getting to be the only things worth reading here. So much argument.
    I'll second that!!

Quote Originally Posted by murf73 View Post
    One question, on fasting days do you not eat anything at all or do you do that 300-500 calories thing? I think for me, the whole eating 300-400 calories would just make me feel deprived and on a diet, not fasting. So I am going to skip that, or do I need it?
    I'm not sure of the science behind the 500, but I know it's somewhere in this thread or the science thread. I decided to try it with the 500 calories. I thought at one point yesterday that I probably could have gone all day without eating...the earlier part of the day was definitely very low hunger, hardly noticable. But later towards evening after I ate I did get pretty hungry. Still it was really nice to actually eat something.

Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    Are any of you guys on Low Carb Friends?
    That's weird! I'm a member there, but haven't posted in a long time. I see people post links all the time. Do they ban links to Atkin's site, because he does all the things they are saying MDA does, doesn't he. As a matter of fact, don't most diet websites...