Page 123 of 157 FirstFirst ... 2373113121122123124125133 ... LastLast
Results 1,221 to 1,230 of 1566

Thread: Alternate Day Fasting-Support and Chat page 123

elkay7 is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Rueben View Post
    The DD went fine - but the Up day the next day was unbelievable - I virtually binged - which I don't do, and couldn't seem to then get back onto my DD. Each morning i would start saying this was going to be my DD, but I weakened every time and said, "oh tomorrow will be my next DD". It is now about a month later, and no progress on the scale for me.

Anyone struggling with the same thing?
    Hi Rueben. Overeating on feast days has been hard for me. It has been only been in the last week and a half where my feast day eating has become in the normal 1600-2200 calorie range, as opposed to much higher 3000 calories. (You can see my calorie averages and the difference between the fast and feast days in my blog. The biggest struggle for me is not overindulging, especially with wine or beer, when at social events with friends.

I have found the more meals I prepare myself and the more focus I have on hitting the nutrients I need on feast days (protein, vitamins, minerals) the less calories I eat and the fuller I feel. The most difficult thing is not giving into carb and sweet cravings.
    Blogging my weight loss experiment using alternate day fasting here:

http://tryingadf.blogspot.com

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

AmyP is offline Member
    Hi all! I am back from Mexico vacation. I mostly stayed away from bad for me stuffs...mostly..but of course over indulged! I attempted a dd yesterday but after many many flight delays that resulted in a 20 hour trip home my exhaustion got the best of me. Feeling better today so I will attempt again. Although my plan for this week was dd on m,w,f, sun..we are camping this weekend and it would work much better. It's always a struggle to get back on plan..

Congrats on the baby, V!!! Excited for you!

diene is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobert View Post

Looks like some people are putting up some decent numbers of weight loss that is mostly fat. If people are doing slow cardio(sub 75% of MHR) during their fasted day, then I hope they understand the roles of cortisol and insulin. Remember if insulin is present, fat loss is very very difficult. So one should not do slow cardio, or even faster higher heart rate cardio post 5 hours of eating if one wishes to maximize fat loss. Now the other aspect is that cardio in a fasted state can lead to cortisol spike. Cortisol spikes can lead to fat storage even if carbs are at 0 for a post workout meal. In a fasted state or a very low cal state the body is looking for any reason to leave the recycle/repair mode because the body is essentially eating itself. A safe time period post workout is usually about 2 hours. For strength training where DOMS is achieved, a different set of rules apply, but I would assume that no one is doing strength training on fast days.
    So it seems like a damned if you do damned if you don't situation. If you do cardio in a non-fasted state, insulin inhibits fat loss. If you do it fasted, your cortisol spikes and that causes fat storage.

I do strength training on fast days. I don't discriminate among fast vs. non-fast days in my workouts. I can't just skip crossfit on all of my DDs--that would be ridiculous. I've stopped drinking the protein shake after my lifts though, per your recommendation. Do you still think it's a good idea to skip those shakes on DDs, even if I lifted heavy?

Quote Originally Posted by Rueben View Post
    The DD went fine - but the Up day the next day was unbelievable - I virtually binged - which I don't do, and couldn't seem to then get back onto my DD. Each morning i would start saying this was going to be my DD, but I weakened every time and said, "oh tomorrow will be my next DD". It is now about a month later, and no progress on the scale for me.

Anyone struggling with the same thing?
    I eat a TON on up days although I haven't been counting calories. I haven't binged though. That's because I define binging as a very specific psychological state during which my eyes glaze over and I spend hours standing in the kitchen eating everything in sight. I have not done this since starting JUDDD. However, I overeat on most up days. Hence my weight loss is slow. But, as long as I'm losing, I don't really mind that it's slow. I love being able to eat a ton on up days. But sometimes I wonder if the weight loss will stop or has stopped. Er! So I'd like to get my UD eating under control as well.

My down days have become very easy, and I'm managing to eat less than 100 calories most of the time. I'm working towards a full water fast at least once a week.

You can look at my journal to get an idea of how much I eat on UDs.
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread84294-4.html

Quote Originally Posted by elkay7 View Post
    Hi Rueben. Overeating on feast days has been hard for me. It has been only been in the last week and a half where my feast day eating has become in the normal 1600-2200 calorie range, as opposed to much higher 3000 calories. (You can see my calorie averages and the difference between the fast and feast days in my blog. The biggest struggle for me is not overindulging, especially with wine or beer, when at social events with friends.

I have found the more meals I prepare myself and the more focus I have on hitting the nutrients I need on feast days (protein, vitamins, minerals) the less calories I eat and the fuller I feel. The most difficult thing is not giving into carb and sweet cravings.
    elkay--your weight loss has been very impressive. So you managed to lose even when you were eating 3000 calories on up days, right? I'd like to get my UD eating under control so I can lose more quickly (or not stop losing), but I feel like I use up all of my will power on DDs and have none left on UDs. Lol!
    Last edited by diene; 06-04-2013 at 11:06 AM.

Yoga11 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by diene View Post
    So you managed to lose even when you were eating 3000 calories on up days, right? I'd like to get my UD eating under control so I can lose more quickly (or not stop losing), but I feel like I use up all of my will power on DDs and have none left on UDs. Lol!
    This all depends on HOW MUCH weight you want to lose and how much weight your body WANTS to lose. Someone who needs to lose 100 lbs will lose weight faster when one who needs to lose 20lbs.. ya know?

Yoga11 is offline Senior Member
    Hey all, I know it's been a while since I posted.. (usually like everyday!) I kind of fell of the wagon. I still have been ADF everyday... I just got a bit sloppy with my meals ( I've been ADF for 6 weeks now)... I started eating CORN chips. I know... I know... it was TOM and I NEEDED it (and nutella). lol. I then ate corn chips the next UD and the next.. I finally finished the bag and i'm NOT buying another one. They were non-GMO, at least.Even though I was still successful with my DD... I just got sloppy with my diet. I did always stay in my calories...but I wasn't cooking a lot and blah blah blah. anyway. I'm back. DD today... I finally am eating only 1 meal on DD hooray! bc I really want my body to be getting into "repair" mode.

Can I have one question: If you calculate DD and UD calories on Dr. Johnson's website, what weight do you insert? Your goal or current weight? Because these two give completely different results...
    Thanks.
    Everything changes, but nothing is truly lost. - Neil Gaiman

My journal
    iHerb.com code LBN037 - $10 off your first purchase

elkay7 is offline Member
    Using the upper end of the BMI scale, since I have a stocky frame (I can't touch my thumb and middle finger when wrapping them around my wrist at all), I started off being at least 47 lbs overweight at 179 lbs when I started ADF (my highest was 183 lbs). Plus my diet had a ton of carbs and sugar in, which is a big reason for water weight retention (I found some research on it for my blog). At this point I am pretty used to the fasting, it is much harder for me to limit eating on my UDs, especially if they involve happy hour with friends.
    Blogging my weight loss experiment using alternate day fasting here:

http://tryingadf.blogspot.com

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Quote Originally Posted by SugarfreeLife View Post
    Can I have one question: If you calculate DD and UD calories on Dr. Johnson's website, what weight do you insert? Your goal or current weight? Because these two give completely different results...
    Thanks.
    You should insert your current weight.

That's about what my numbers are. I eat more on UDs (unlimited, for now) and less on DDs (as little as possible). It seems to be working so far.