Page 111 of 154 FirstFirst ... 1161101109110111112113121 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,110 of 1540

Thread: Alternate Day Fasting-Support and Chat page 111

Yoga11 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabine View Post
    I would agree about watching your carbohydrates in relation to your insulin response, but...

There is some very good information on the action of SIRT1 in Dr. Johnson's book. One of the things it does is make it harder for your cells to store fat and easier to release it. This can act in conjunction with your insulin response.

And, yes, you can find this, and other information out on the internet, but...

Just as I buy Mark's books to support him as thanks for providing this great website, I have bought ADD and 5:2FD to support those authors.
    I have a question about this... JUDDD can be done on SAD, which means that there is A LOT more carb consumption that is happening with those SAD eater compared to us Primal eaters. SO how would one make sense to a SAD on why they are losing weight using JUDDD if there insulin is always going because lets be honest an SAD diet doesn't cut back in insulin spikes. Mom25kids (is a great example) she lost a lot of weight doing JUDDD and SAD. Not that I could because of health reasons.... but it does work. So how would it work if the only thing were are looking at is insulin! I get looking at insulin is ONE way... but that can't be the only way... right? someone please explain.
    Sabine, I guess this question is more to the person you were responding to with this post, because you mentioned SIRT1, is that what you are trying to say?... but anyone get what I'm saying?

Quote Originally Posted by vlo1125 View Post
    YES! I'm gonna steal your line because I think that's a great way to look at it but right now it's terrible! She got Pre-accepted into a charter school, pending she can handle a two week full day summer readiness kindergarten camp.It's a great school and we would love for her to have the opportunity but at this point were aren't sure she will pass! At the end they let you know whether they feel your child is ready and they told me every year there's at least 2-3 kids that don't make it through, and I've just got this sick feeling mine will be one of them :/

Still going strong here, and I just had to peak at the scale this morning so I didn't even last a week on my no scale ban lol! What I saw was good, very good but I'm not telling you guys till Friday today is an ud and I was thinking of making this Primal Zucchini Lasagna but I don't have a mandolin to get my zucchini that thin so we shall see. On my last ud I made chicken enchiladas and they turned out great but were a little labor intensive because I had to make primal tortillas! Used the recipe for the tortillas Gluten-free, Grain-free Flatbread | the 3volution of j3nn & the art of voluntary living and this recipe for the enchilada sauce and filling Skinny Chicken Enchiladas | Skinnytaste

Happy up day if its your up day, and if its a down down day, push through you can do it!
    I love you are always sharing great recipes. I have like 10 blogers I follow for recipes... SO MANYamazing choices...
    Do you have the macros for that tortilla recipe? if so, please share! do you use those for your lasagne sheets? that would be amazing
    I'm excited to hear about your LOSSSSSS !! I'm sharing mine Saturday!

Today is my second "steak/tomato" down day! Friday is the the last one weigh in on saturday.
    Yesterday UP wasn't that successful. My graduation was at 8am so i was up at 6am didn't get to eat until 1pm.
    by night I wasn't hungry till 8pm had some thai food (this place lets me ask for no sugar in the curry SCORE!) I was just too tired to make anything. I didn't meet my calories... I only got to 1400. Thats mean today (DD) might be rough...
    Last edited by Yoga11; 05-22-2013 at 08:37 AM.

diene is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vlo1125 View Post
    today is an ud and I was thinking of making this Primal Zucchini Lasagna but I don't have a mandolin to get my zucchini that thin so we shall see. On my last ud I made chicken enchiladas and they turned out great but were a little labor intensive because I had to make primal tortillas! Used the recipe for the tortillas Gluten-free, Grain-free Flatbread | the 3volution of j3nn & the art of voluntary living and this recipe for the enchilada sauce and filling Skinny Chicken Enchiladas | Skinnytaste
    I've made primal lasagna a bunch of times. All I do is replace the noodles with veggies. The first time i made it, I used a combination of zucchini and eggplant. I didn't used a mandolin, just sliced with knife. The slices weren't that thin nor were they all of the same thickness--i'm not great a slicing, but it worked out just fine. Both my boyfriend and I preferred the eggplant so I've been making it with just eggplant since then. It's really important to cook the eggplant first (I use both the microwave and the oven b/c you can only fit so much in the microwave at once and it's faster to have slices in the microwave and in the oven at the same time). Then just use the eggplant slices as your noodle and use your favorite lasagna recipe. It's so delicious!

Edited to add: I have to try that flatbread--looks so good!

Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    I got a relatively reasonable cleanse book from the library, that has mostly vegetable juices (different color for each day of the week), one green juice, and potato-based broth as a fasting routine. While I can't see myself doing 7 days in a row, I am going to try the first day, Red tomorrow. Basically, it's two glasses of beet and carrots juice, one glass of celery and apples juice and a couple of cups of broth - I will just throw a couple of potatoes in my turkey bone broth and that should do it. There is a whole bunch of meditations and yoga postures going with it and a foot bath, so I will try to fit in too. I am at the dentist in the worst time of the day for me (2-4 pm) and at work from 5:30-6 amish so if I can power through till bed time without breaking down and eating food, it should be a fast of sorts.
    Leida, are you trying the juice fast with ADF? I really think that this way of eating is awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Sabine View Post
    This afternoon I HAVE to drive to our nearest 'wet' town to buy vodka and rum for making my vanilla.
    What is this vanilla that you're making? Sounds yum!

So, everyone--I got on the scale today, and it said 138.5. So it really does bounce around a lot, but that's a good thing, IMO, because every time I experience linear or near linear weight loss, it always ends up being water weight that comes right back as soon as I do a refeed (that's my technical name for my pig-out days). It's only been a week and a half, but I am seeing a downward trend with my weight. And I love this ADF/JUDDD thing. I don't feel like a fat pig even though I eat a LOT on up days, and I don't really feel deprived and miserable either. Okay, fine, I do get hungry on down days, especially after crossfit, and sometimes it does feel miserable, but I don't feel deprived the way I'd feel on moderate restriction diets (like 1400 calories or less a day, five days a week, plus VLC, which was what I had been doing a few months ago before I finally had enough of it and stopped restricting altogether). Because I don't feel deprived, I don't feel the urge to binge on up days. I could do this indefinitely, I think, and this is not something that I can say about other calorie-restriction diets.
    Last edited by diene; 05-22-2013 at 08:32 AM.

diene is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobert View Post
    If you could substitute a fat for the protein that would ensure that you havent raised your insulin. Coconut oil is perfect for this. Also most protein shakes are designed to raise insulin, such as whey.
    But the point of the protein shake is to consume protein after a workout so I can't replace it with coconut oil. I mean, either I'm going to do the protein shake for the protein, or I'm just not going to eat anything. I might try eliminating the shake later on if I don't lose weight or if I hit a plateau.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by serenity View Post
    But the point of the protein shake is to consume protein after a workout so I can't replace it with coconut oil. I mean, either I'm going to do the protein shake for the protein, or I'm just not going to eat anything. I might try eliminating the shake later on if I don't lose weight or if I hit a plateau.
    Unfortunately you are attempting to accomplish two competing goals at the same time. Maximizing what you need to do to get stronger will mean less fat loss, and vice versa.

Bobert is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoga11 View Post
    I have a question about this... JUDDD can be done on SAD, which means that there is A LOT more carb consumption that is happening with those SAD eater compared to us Primal eaters. SO how would one make sense to a SAD on why they are losing weight using JUDDD if there insulin is always going because lets be honest an SAD diet doesn't cut back in insulin spikes. Mom25kids (is a great example) she lost a lot of weight doing JUDDD and SAD. Not that I could because of health reasons.... but it does work. So how would it work if the only thing were are looking at is insulin! I get looking at insulin is ONE way... but that can't be the only way... right? someone please explain.
    Sabine, I guess this question is more to the person you were responding to with this post, because you mentioned SIRT1, is that what you are trying to say?... but anyone get what I'm saying?

Yoga, even if you are consuming 400 calories a day with HFCS, and your meal timing is the worse possible, it would be impossible to have insulin circulating for the whole down day. This is why is works with sad. You are running a net cal deficit so you will lose weight. However, it is very inefficient to have 3 small meals during the down day. Lets say you have 3 small meals during your down day and each one elevates you insulin for 2-3 hours. That is 6-9 hours that you will not be using stored body fat. If you are running a cal deficit during this time, you body will do other thing for energy(low body temp, decrease energy, convert muscle, tissue, bone into energy) in addition to possibly using some stored fat. Now if you were to have 1 meal per down day, you would only be raising your insulin for 3 hours. So thats 15-18 hours of fat burning time verse 21 hours or 20-40% more.

In terms of SIRT1, as soon as insulin enters the system, it tells the body to switch from repair/recycle to growth. So SIRT1, and HGH become downregulated. Authophagy decreases or gets shut down. The consumption of protein has also shown to have the same effect. Also the repair/recycle process does not get turned back on right away, depending on the person it could take hours after insulin has been lowered enough. So once again we see why meal frequency is just as if more important.

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    And, of course, all of these points depend on how insulin-sensitive any particular person is.

I figure if JUDDD with a few small meals doesn't work for you, try no meals, or just one, and see how that goes. But I would give either method at least three weeks before judging. It is too bad we can't just spit in a cup and be told, 'here's the perfect plan for YOU!' A lot of trial and error in this whole 'being a human' thing.

Yoga11 is offline Senior Member
    Yoga, even if you are consuming 400 calories a day with HFCS, and your meal timing is the worse possible, it would be impossible to have insulin circulating for the whole down day. This is why is works with sad. You are running a net cal deficit so you will lose weight. However, it is very inefficient to have 3 small meals during the down day. Lets say you have 3 small meals during your down day and each one elevates you insulin for 2-3 hours. That is 6-9 hours that you will not be using stored body fat. If you are running a cal deficit during this time, you body will do other thing for energy(low body temp, decrease energy, convert muscle, tissue, bone into energy) in addition to possibly using some stored fat. Now if you were to have 1 meal per down day, you would only be raising your insulin for 3 hours. So thats 15-18 hours of fat burning time verse 21 hours or 20-40% more.
    OOOohhh man, you are dropping some good knowledge here. thanks

In terms of SIRT1, as soon as insulin enters the system, it tells the body to switch from repair/recycle to growth. So SIRT1, and HGH become downregulated. Authophagy decreases or gets shut down. The consumption of protein has also shown to have the same effect. Also the repair/recycle process does not get turned back on right away, depending on the person it could take hours after insulin has been lowered enough. So once again we see why meal frequency is just as if more important.
    Question: I'm not sure what you mean when you say, " Repair/recycle to growth" which do you want on? what do you mean by growth?

but what I'm getting at with this, is that... it's about letting your body get away from insulin, thats why having only 1 meal on a DD is important... I totally get that. makes sense.
    Last edited by Yoga11; 05-23-2013 at 07:34 AM.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Leida, are you trying the juice fast with ADF? I really think that this way of eating is awesome!
    I was thinking how I can possibly do a low calorie day without making myself fast, so I decided to try this relatively reasonable approach (or less scary). I started this morning with a tbsp of oil to settle blood sugar, and I prepared 2 juices (basically all vegetable, just 1 apple) and broth that has 1 medium potato mushed into 4 cups of broth. I am going to drink another tbsp of oil later on, and 4-5 cups of juice/broth all told. I hope this should come under 600 calories. I hope it will work!!!

I am atypically NOT hungry this morning, so fingers crossed.
    Last edited by Leida; 05-23-2013 at 06:34 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

vlo1125 is offline Senior Member
    I think everyone should tweak and find what works for them within ADF. For me ud cals matter, I can't go over cause it seems to slow me down. Also eating just dinner on a dd is best for me as well. And apparently I'm very carb sensitive because even just having two plantains a week was also slowing down my weightloss so trying to stay under 50 carbs (had two 60 g days this week) is also key. Ill give my final weight for this week tomorrow but what I've seen bodes well so as long as I don't have a crazy bloat happen overnight I'm golden.

The zuchinni lasagna came out terrific! Who needs noodles? it tasted just like regular lasagna so that goes to show you what little flavor pasta adds to a dish. Ive never had eggplant but I'd def like to try it sometime! The key is degorging the zuchinni with salt and towels to get the water out first. Also I let it rest for 20 mins before cutting into it so it wouldn't fall apart. So tasty and made a lot, definitely could freeze individual portions to heat up for nights you don't feel like cooking!
    Veronica
    High weight: 255 lbs
    Start weight 1/26/13: 233 lbs
    Current 5/24/13: 204 lbs
    Goal: Healthy

vlo1125 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoga11 View Post
    I love you are always sharing great recipes. I have like 10 blogers I follow for recipes... SO MANYamazing choices...
    Do you have the macros for that tortilla recipe? if so, please share! do you use those for your lasagne sheets? that would be amazing
    I'm excited to hear about your LOSSSSSS !! I'm sharing mine Saturday! .
    Flat bread was 88 cals/4.3 fat/10.1 carbs/4.2 protein , I used these for enchiladas but I'm sure you could use them for lasagna sheets, but the zuchinni really works well for that and less carbs too.
    Veronica
    High weight: 255 lbs
    Start weight 1/26/13: 233 lbs
    Current 5/24/13: 204 lbs
    Goal: Healthy