Page 11 of 157 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thread: Alternate Day Fasting-Support and Chat page 11

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I think if you go to the article linked a few responses ago we can see that a fast is not necessarily a calorie free day. And in fact it is suggested that it not be calorie free. Given the every other day nature of this protocol is seems especially important to me that we follow an intelligent use of our calories on our dd for optimum health.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by demuralist View Post
    Given the every other day nature of this protocol is seems especially important to me that we follow an intelligent use of our calories on our dd for optimum health.

I would tend to agree. Don't mean to challenge the sciencey part that might should go on the other thread, afterall just trying to help and add support by way of another perspective and I don't mean to mix gurus either but I have read in the new PHD that 16 hours is optimum. I wont go into all the details here but of the things that we want to happen, opposite things start to happen after that. Just one perspective, and again different guru, but I guess my point is also, I would think it would be important to get your 500 on the dd.

Aside from the autophagy aspects, if you are eating 2000 on the ud (and zero on the dd) that averages out too much of a deficit, Just guessing. (and I think I may be the queen of too much of a deficit as weight loss screeched to a halt) Just throwing that out there Could be off my rocker.
    Last edited by gopintos; 03-29-2013 at 01:37 PM.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by 252dlp View Post
    I'm almost tempted to try this, lol. I've been doing the EMF, and I wanted to give that a nice long try before I did anything differently, but this looks so interesting. I've heard about calorie cycling for years, but never heard any science behind it. And, ocassionally, I do feel like fasting would be helpful.
    There's no reason why you couldn't combine the two. EMF makes fasting much easier.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    My UD today. I am loving the lack of hunger!

I did choose to have 2 small glasses of wine last night, but interestingly I slept like a baby for 8 hours straight! Usually alcohol keep me awake.

252dlp is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    There's no reason why you couldn't combine the two. EMF makes fasting much easier.
    I may just try it this coming week.

My current diary: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread100765.html
    My original diary: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread77760.html

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

janie is offline Senior Member
    I'm really enjoying reading about your experiences and quietly cheering you on. I wish I had known about this when I was still focused on losing.
    Starting Weight: 197.5
    Current Weight: 123
    Lost 75# eating low carb (20-40 g) and then MDA primal low carb. Tried many other options but only LC helped me lose weight and improve health. Now at a good weight, I find my body can tolerate a few more carbs but rarely go over 100 g.

RMS123 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 252dlp View Post
    I may just try it this coming week.
    I am attempting to do both. My two problems: before appetite suppression kicked in, and keeping my protein moderate and carbs low, I felt like I was eating fat just for fat...like lots of fat without a purpose; and now that appetite suppression has kicked in, I'm struggling to get anywhere close to my UD calories -- like 700 or 800 below. But, generally speaking, I think higher fat is really helpful for this.
    -- Ruth

252dlp is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RMS123 View Post
    I am attempting to do both. My two problems: before appetite suppression kicked in, and keeping my protein moderate and carbs low, I felt like I was eating fat just for fat...like lots of fat without a purpose; and now that appetite suppression has kicked in, I'm struggling to get anywhere close to my UD calories -- like 700 or 800 below. But, generally speaking, I think higher fat is really helpful for this.
    That's good to know! I already feel like I'm sometimes eating fat just to get the fat, lol. I've had pretty good appetite suppression...don't think I could do the down day without it. But, I'll never know until I try.

My current diary: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread100765.html
    My original diary: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread77760.html

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

0Angel0 is offline Senior Member
    My plan to make today a day long fast didn't exactly work out. I started getting really hungry in the afternoon so I had a small bowl of carnitas with pico de gallo, 1/4 avocado, and 6 strawberries w/ 1T cream. It was around 500-550 calories so I overshot a bit but my body needed it.

That small meal was plenty though and I feel much better! I'm at the point where I can listen to my body because it hasn't told me to down a box of granola or a hunk of cake in ages. I IF everyday by skipping breakfast and eating Brunch and Dinner with no snacks but I like it to feel effortless not forced. I could have forced myself to finish out the fast but, frankly, I didn't want to so I ate. I think maybe such a long fast during TOM wasn't the best idea in the first place esp as I'm still dealing with anemia from 6 months of bleeding due to Endometriosis complications.

Oh and I know DDs aren't supposed to be total fast days but I've been wanting to do one lately so I figured today might be a good day. My body had other ideas apparently.

Gladmorning is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    I am sort of following along. I am wondering if I have missed something with the protocol. How come you are not eating anything that day? Isnt a down day 500 calories? That could be alot of tators W/O alot of fat, they are very filling I like mine with bone broth, sometimes with some kraut. I even tried it with salso though it sounded disgusting but it was actually quite tasty

I boil them up whole, and keep them on standby in the frig

Anyways, I just wondered why nothing that day? Even PHD says you can fast with food. I was reading a few pages on IF last night, and he even mentioned something in one section about 500 calories per day, though now I can't remember exactly what but it made me think of this thread.

Food for a Fast | Perfect Health Diet
    Personal choice. I am enjoying fasting a lot. It started with 19/5 17/7 etc IFing, and turned into a challenge. I am not following "protocol" as one might say. I do not intend to say all my dds will be completely food free, but for the last two, they have been for the exception of about 100 calories worth of milk in my coffee. Body isn't freaking out. Everything is working great. I feel great and have mental clarity. If my body were seriously getting pissed off, I would eat. I do not find it difficult to fast every other day as this time. I mean, I have at LEAST 75 lbs of fat for my body to eat.

Call it an n=1. Call it a challenge... call it enjoying fasting. I dunno. Both saturday and Sunday are up days due to Easter Sunday.
    The process is simple: Free your mind, and your ass will follow.

Page 11 of 157 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast