Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: CrossFitters--Need Gear Advice! page 3

Badkty22 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by serenity View Post
    Wow! Those really are great prices! I think I'm going to buy a pair too.
    I need to change my email filters to let their emails come to my inbox, not my junk folder. By the time I saw the sale a lot of the shoes were sold out in my size, but I did get a pair for $35. Can't wait for my new shoes to arrive!

diene is offline Senior Member
    About those knee socks...someone here mentioned knee socks, and I've seen other people wear them. I looked them up online (deadlift socks), and some of the pictures look like they may be padded in front. Are they? The reason I ask is because I have shin splints on my right shin, and although it's not really bad enough to bother me normally, my shin is tender. And every time we do any kind of lift that starts with the bar touching my shin, it hurts, and it's distracting and slows me down because I'm always trying to position the bar carefully so that it touches my shin as gently as possible. Do you think knee socks will help?

I'm working on fixing the shin splints, but it's going to take some time.

Yes, some are padded, like these:
    http://www.amazon.com/MOXY-Socks-Kne...e-Deadlift/dp/

I've not tried the padded ones, so I can't say if they are worth it or not, but they aren't super-expensive so certainly worth a try to save your poor shins.

Man, I banged my shin with the bar today (not really, the bar just touched my shin not-so-gently, but it felt like a hard bang) while doing Elizabeth. It hurt. And it inspired me to buy this: Amazon.com: Runner's Remedy Shin Wrap Recovery Sleeve: Health & Personal Care
    I'm not sure if the padding on those knee socks is enough, but this thing has a little pocket into which you can stuff your own padding. Plus, I can use it to ice my shin when I'm not at CF.

In other sad news, I wasn't able to finish the WOD in the 12 minutes we had to do it even though I scaled down the weight (45 lbs instead of 95) and did bench dips instead of ring dips. How sad is that? Part of the problem was that I was fixated on getting the form right, and it's hard to lift fast when you're trying to do it right. And I'm so retarded that I have to go through a mental checklist at the starting position every time. Slow as hell.

Edit: I'm actually kind of annoyed that we only had 12 minutes to do it. I would have preferred not having a time cap and just finishing the workout even if my time was terrible, but I guess that's the problem with an one-hour class.
    Last edited by diene; 04-17-2013 at 08:02 AM.

Don't get hung up on the time. I guarantee you got just as much of a workout as everyone else, and as an added bonus you are greatly reducing your risk of injury by making sure you are performing the lifts correctly, instead of just plowing through them any which way to get a "good" time. That is an issue I have about crossfit, that they expect you to perform multiple reps of complicated lifts for time. Such a recipe for injury.

Goldie is offline Senior Member
    All my CF coaches emphasize correct form over weight and speed. Earlier today, my coach made one of the big strong guys go down to a lighter weight because he wasn't getting quite low enough in his squats. He's one of those macho types, and he didn't like the idea, but he did what she said. And his form was a lot better for it. The box where I go has really excellent coaches.

Yeah, my coach didn't tell me to go faster and ignore form. She actually stopped me multiple times to correct my form, which also contributed to my slowness. I just wished that the WOD wasn't time-capped. I would have liked to finish it, even if it took me 25-30 minutes.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123