Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Debunking the paleo diet page

Clymb is offline Senior Member

Debunking the paleo diet

Shop Now
    Have you guys seen this video? Thoughts? (I apologize if it's already been posted/is old news)

Legbiter is offline Senior Member
    There's no such thing as a paleo diet...and then she recommends we eat a paleo diet in all but name.

Yeah, listen I know there aren't many woolly mammoths around to spear but that does not mean that it's impossible to infer what foods to eat with regard to our recent evolutionary history. The fourth study from the link below is a starting point, for instance.
    http://www.evolbiol.ru/large_files/hominin_diets.pdf

These guys from the Max Planck institute seem to have given this some thought.

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    Myth 1:
    Vitamin C is in liver and raw dairy, our digestive tract isn't actually as long as plant eaters like e.g. gorillas so we can not properly digest plant cellulose. We do have a longer digestive tract that pure meat eaters like lions, this could indicate that we are made to be meat AND plant eaters.

She does have a point about just eating muscle meat. However when you eat just muscle meat it's not exactly "paleo", there are people who eat organs nowadays.

Also she says that's it's not a 100% sure that we know how our ancestors lived. Which I think is pretty obvious, there is only so much left today from tenthousands of years ago which we can study. However you could use common sense and think that the chance is quite high we ate meat because what else could we have eaten with enough calories? There is no fruit all over the world.

Myth 2:
    Sure they could have eaten grains. This was different from now and possibly fermented.

Myth 3:
    Yes, products are different today, what are you going to do? Stop eating? And she is saying things about vegetables being different, so is she saying that we should eat meat? That seems contradictory to the title of the video

I think she is actually promoting the paleo diet. However she is saying that it is not really possibly to completely copy it.
    Billie trips balls

otzi Guest
    Paleo should have stuck with what we KNOW our ancestors DID NOT eat: Refined sugar, industrially processed flour and seed oils.

All the rest is conjecture and wordplay.

magicmerl is online now Senior Member
    Yeah, it's more of a rebuttal of the 'caveman reenactment' strawman than it is of eating meat and vegetables in whole food form.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Legbiter is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    Paleo should have stuck with what we KNOW our ancestors DID NOT eat: Refined sugar, industrially processed flour and seed oils.

Try this one.

Isotopic evidence for the diets of European Neanderthals and early modern humans

DeeDub is offline Senior Member
    An excellent presentation. About the only thing missing is the relatively recent realization that our genetics evolve far faster than is/was commonly believed - gene spreading in humans happens on timeframes as quick as ~1000 years - so we are not, in actual fact, "Grok".

Her comments about "Paleodiet" foods not actually being paleolithic are spot on.

There is an abundance of shit science around this fad, nice to see this presentation, thanks for posting!

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    I'm only several minutes in, but my main question is do I really have to watch this if I subscribe to the "hunter-gatherer diet" rather than the paleo diet? That way I don't have to guestimate what was eaten or not. I see relatively modern humans that are extremely healthy and emulate that. See. Anthropology in action rather than relying simply on archaeological guess work.

K just watched the rest of it and yeah... one big bright burning straw man argument.

Not bad for the last few minutes though.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 03-25-2013 at 01:31 PM.

tarek is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post

+1

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Looking to the past for dietary advices may lead to some absurdities! Suppose that I lived some 700.000 years ago as a caveman and using the evolutionary argument by looking backwards, then at that time the paleolittic diet would have been a newcomer and some other pre-paleolittic diets must have been better for at that stage because humans must have been more evolutionary adapted to what went before they started to eat the paelolittic way...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast