Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Debunking the paleo diet page 3

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    Well, I didn't watch the vid yet bro, just got off work and I got a hockey game to watch.

So, which substances would you choose?
    Neolithic substances... hmmm, I'd say booze but that is hardly neolithic. Coffee is definitely on my list. I'm not straight edge paleo though and I still have a very neolithic meal out 2-4x/month.

And the remarks about debunking of the debunking were made in jest. It's kinda trendy it seems to "debunk" something.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 03-25-2013 at 06:49 PM.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Personally I also include certain synthetic substances like Aspartame, Creatine monohydrate and various synthetic vitamins in my diet, so I suppose that I will be classified to belong to the space age branch of the paleolittic lifestyle…

Clymb is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadsie View Post
    Myth 1:
    Vitamin C is in liver and raw dairy, our digestive tract isn't actually as long as plant eaters like e.g. gorillas so we can not properly digest plant cellulose. We do have a longer digestive tract that pure meat eaters like lions, this could indicate that we are made to be meat AND plant eaters.

She does have a point about just eating muscle meat. However when you eat just muscle meat it's not exactly "paleo", there are people who eat organs nowadays.

Also she says that's it's not a 100% sure that we know how our ancestors lived. Which I think is pretty obvious, there is only so much left today from tenthousands of years ago which we can study. However you could use common sense and think that the chance is quite high we ate meat because what else could we have eaten with enough calories? There is no fruit all over the world.

Myth 2:
    Sure they could have eaten grains. This was different from now and possibly fermented.

Myth 3:
    Yes, products are different today, what are you going to do? Stop eating? And she is saying things about vegetables being different, so is she saying that we should eat meat? That seems contradictory to the title of the video

I think she is actually promoting the paleo diet. However she is saying that it is not really possibly to completely copy it.

I didn't know about vitamin C being in raw dairy.

I agree with some of your last statements--my biggest issue was the contradictions made. She went on about how we're evolved to eat a plant-based diet, but then later on talks about how must plants in the paleo era were inedible. Makes no sense. Then she talks about how paleolithic peoples barely ate meat, but then says how they ate lean game and all the organs/marrow.

I agree with the posters saying that it's more like she's debunking what some people say paleo "is", generally people who don't actually understand the concept. I don't eat this way to try and be a modern-day cave(wo)man, I eat this way because it makes sense and gives a general, dare I say, blueprint for how to live healthfully.

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Here's a better, and different, talk:
    Dan Leiberman, PhD

KimchiNinja is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptocode View Post
    Dan Leiberman, PhD
    ^ Just plain better.

People from the US just love to argue, it's part of the culture. Hell, that "debunking" lady wasn't even debunking, she was saying the exact same thing as the paleo people.

Just eat meat and vegi, simple.

Legbiter is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptocode View Post
    Dan Leiberman, PhD
    Good lecture.

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member
    Regarding wild plants being inedible in our "Paleo" era past, what evidence is there of this? It's been many years since I've actually studied the Paleo/Meso/Neo period, and I don't recall this being a reality.

But I am forever a student.

M.

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    Wasn't this myth throughly debunked already, re: the fruit? Also, we're omnivores, not carnivores, we're evolved to eat a wide variety of food. Eating nothing but meat is hardly ideal, as you have to go out of your way to obtain key nutrients(getting just enough vitamin c to avoid scurvy come on) The fattened up, domesticated meat sacks don't really resemble animals that were hunted in the wild either btw.

And, yeah, soda tastes good. Nothing like a nice cold mexican coke on a hot socal day. I'm evolving, not devolving, I'm not deathly afraid of all neolithic substances, I'd rather put my paranoia to good use.
    The fat soluble vitamin c is actually much more effective so you would need less. Also, scurvy is not necessarily caused by too litte vitamin C. The main thing you hear about scurvy is that sailors on ships got scurvy. This was caused by phytate of all the buscuits they ate. Vitamin C could stop this because it oxidizes the phytate.
    Billie trips balls

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadsie View Post
    The fat soluble vitamin c is actually much more effective so you would need less. Also, scurvy is not necessarily caused by too litte vitamin C. The main thing you hear about scurvy is that sailors on ships got scurvy. This was caused by phytate of all the buscuits they ate. Vitamin C could stop this because it oxidizes the phytate.
    Thanks, Gadsie. You beat me to the Derp debunking. Yes, the artic explorations of Stephanson et al showed that those eating the eskimo diet of all meat and fat did not get scurvy. Those who ate the biscuits did.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123