Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coconut milk crisis! page

akbreezo is offline Junior Member

Coconut milk crisis!

Primal Fuel
    None of the stores where I live carry Native Forest coconut milk. I have been ordering it from Amazon and now they won't ship it to me here in AK. So I switched to Vitacost and I just received notice that it's discontinued!
    Any other sources for BPA free coconut milk? Aryo-D seems disproportionately expensive.
    Has anyone try coconut milk powder?

Help!

Bree

Ljphalen is offline Member
    Creamed coconut is a good option. It's like dehydrated coconut milk with a hunk of fat attached, you just add hot water and froth it up. A little goes a long way for your buck.

0Angel0 is offline Senior Member
    I haven't found a decently priced coconut milk that isn't full of chemicals. The only one that comes close is Trader Joe's light coconut milk but it's "light". It's just coconut milk and water...but you're paying for a percentage of canned water. I was so happy to find they had coconut cream finally too...until I looked at the ingredients. Sigh.

Recently I started making my own and am never going back to canned. A fraction of the price and so much better. I make in smallish batches and leave it out on the counter. It's fine if used in a few days. For coconut cream I just put it in the fridge. A 2:1 ratio of hot water to coconut, blend the heck out of it, strain, and done. It's faster than making a smoothie! Easy, cheap, and infinitely better than any canned brand anywhere.

heatseeker is offline Senior Member
    WHAT? Native Forest is my jam! Gonna have to check the shelves at the co-op that carries it today, and if it's there, I'm buying it out.

0Angel0, do I buy fresh coconut to do that? I'm assuming not dried? Sorry, dumb question, but I've never done it.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 0Angel0 View Post
    I haven't found a decently priced coconut milk that isn't full of chemicals. The only one that comes close is Trader Joe's light coconut milk but it's "light". It's just coconut milk and water...but you're paying for a percentage of canned water. I was so happy to find they had coconut cream finally too...until I looked at the ingredients. Sigh.

Recently I started making my own and am never going back to canned. A fraction of the price and so much better. I make in smallish batches and leave it out on the counter. It's fine if used in a few days. For coconut cream I just put it in the fridge. A 2:1 ratio of hot water to coconut, blend the heck out of it, strain, and done. It's faster than making a smoothie! Easy, cheap, and infinitely better than any canned brand anywhere.
    Is that ratio by weight or volume?

0Angel0 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by heatseeker View Post
    0Angel0, do I buy fresh coconut to do that? I'm assuming not dried? Sorry, dumb question, but I've never done it.
    I use dried coconut. Just the stuff available from almost everywhere. I don't know how to get that brown "skin" off fresh coconut meat and it'd probably turn the milk an icky color.

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    Is that ratio by weight or volume?
    I use volume. Keeps it simple and fast.

akbreezo is offline Junior Member
    What brand of coconut cream?

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Trader Joe's sells BPA free coconut milk but only in light. You could always just put it in the fridge til the cream hardens and drain the water out. Or drain out half the water and wind up with normal coconut milk.

Or you could buy shredded coconut and process it in a blender with water and make your own.

Honestly, I think the BPA thing is so incredibly overblown, at least with something like coconut milk. BPA could maybe, possibly, kind of be an issue when it's an acidic or heated product and a regular staple. Are you heating all your lunches in a microwave in plastic containers? That could be an issue over years. Do you eat canned tomatoes every day? That could be an issue as well over years. But coconut milk? IMO we're nitpicking too much, here. With all the toxins Americans dump into their bodies every single day and still live long lives in relatively good health, I think we're just becoming too obsessed with everything not 100% perfect as a community.

You could always just switch to regular milk. Milk is superior to coconut milk IMO
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    I'm not a huge fan of Walmart, however... they carry GoldenStar coconut milk, which is PHENOMENAL. It doesn't have any additives at all. I discovered it accidentally, and buy a dozen or so cans at a time to make sure I always have some- lol

Rebecca M. is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    This is a brand that sells in containers, rather than cans.
    It has no BPA, but I'm not sure if it has any additives.

All Natural Coconut Milk from Thailand, Available Online at ImportFood.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast