Thread: B.M.I. question ? page

Tod
    Tod is offline Junior Member

B.M.I. question ?

Shop Now
    ForeWord-Sitting in my doctors office starring at the B.M.I. chart weighing 198 and 5'10 the chart stated I was over weight. Lost 30 pounds by low carb, now at 172, still barely in the normal weight range (still caring a gut) on the B.M.I.chart. Today-Now doing cross fit and lifting weights (5X5's) here is my question should my focus be to lose more weight ? focus totally on bulk muscle? or a combination of both? Feel free to expand on my questions... Thanks
    Raise grass fed bison all natural. trying to gage this comunity to see if their is any intrest?

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    No. BMI-based fat estimates can be way off for people who are not sedentary, and also for those at the top and bottom of the height range. If your doctor wants to have the discussion, suggest that he train one of the office assistants to do caliper measurements.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tod View Post
    ForeWord-Sitting in my doctors office starring at the B.M.I. chart weighing 198 and 5'10 the chart stated I was over weight. Lost 30 pounds by low carb, now at 172, still barely in the normal weight range (still caring a gut) on the B.M.I.chart. Today-Now doing cross fit and lifting weights (5X5's) here is my question should my focus be to lose more weight ? focus totally on bulk muscle? or a combination of both? Feel free to expand on my questions... Thanks
    BMI was really only ever intended as a "quick and dirty" measuring tool to assess the weight status of populations. Applying it to individuals makes no sense, because the skinny fat get a pass, and the muscular get told they need to diet. I'm currently borderline "overweight" and working my butt off to gain.

tl:dr: Forget the chart. Consult the mirror.

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    BMI was really only ever intended as a "quick and dirty" measuring tool to assess the weight status of populations. Applying it to individuals makes no sense, because the skinny fat get a pass, and the muscular get told they need to diet. I'm currently borderline "overweight" and working my butt off to gain.

tl:dr: Forget the chart. Consult the mirror.
    lardass
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

otzi Guest
    I'm 5'10, about 172 also. I got down to 165, then gained 7 pounds while working out/lifting heavy, but my waist size has not increased. So, according to the BMI chart, I'm going in the wrong direction!

I think the BMI chart is useful for a doctor to show an overweight, sedentary person where they are and where they should be, but once you start exercising and lifting, they (BMI Charts) fly out the window.

For you, the best indicator of your health is your waistline. If you start getting sloppy in your diet, you can easily go back to that big metabolic syndrome belly you probably used to have, caused by visceral fat around your liver, kidneys and other organs.

For most men, keeping the visceral fat down to minimal levels is probably the single most important thing they can do.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    BMI is just a way of measuring your weight (adjusted for height). It means nothing at the individual level.

In particular, it discourages you from putting on muscle by telling you you are moving towards 'obese', which is patent nonsense.

I would look at bf% as a better indicator of health.

p.s. A BMI of 23-30 is the 'sweet spot' in terms of lowest mortality....
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    your focus should be on getting healthy, fit and throwing the bmi charts in the trash.

i am only 5'2" and have always been large-breasted, with a small waist and narrow hips. a popsicle stick with boobs, much of my life, lol. when anorexic and wearing size zero jeans, the bmi chart had me at overweight and i got a lecture from my doctor!!!

even now, i weigh 150, but fit in size 4 or 6, and yes, recently got another lecture at a health screening -- from a very obese nurse. gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    I would look at bf% as a better indicator of health.
    Yes, you should look at BMI as a poor man's substitute for measuring body fat. If you know your body fat is in a healthy range, BMI is useless.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related