Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question for VLC-ers page

FireFinder is offline Senior Member

Question for VLC-ers

Shop Now
    For those of you who eat very low carb- i.e.: no fruit, starch, limited nuts..... how did you determine this was the path for you? I realize everyone is different and needs to eat in a way that suits them. I also realize primal eating is not inherently low carb.

How did you find your VLC way?

Also, what is your exercise program like?

janie is offline Senior Member
    When I first started losing weight eating LC, I was following the Atkins plan which in the first 2 weeks is VLC, allowing for 25 net carbs from their long vegetable list (25 net carbs is actually quite a bit of vegetables). This was in addition to the protein and fats allowed.

As you move thru that program you add back other foods: low carb fruits, nuts, additional vegetables, etc. etc. I found that keeping the carbs to the beginning level got me off to a great start. Interestingly, I was able to slowly increase carb intake over time and can now eat higher carb foods that I couldn't eat at all in the beginning w/o stalling or gaining.

In the beginning my exercise was walking only. In addition to weighing too much, I had health issues that interfered with more strenuous exercise. After getting to my weight goal, I've added in a lifting program at a gym and actually wish I'd started it sooner. When you lose weight, part of it is muscle, but lifting sooner might have helped me preserve more muscle.

If you are doing it for health reasons and not weight loss, I have had huge health benefits but it is hard to say if they were a result of eating LC or merely from the weight loss I had.

Kool is offline Senior Member
    When I first read (more like crazily indulged) primal articles, I believed it was a low carb diet (not to some people I realize)
    So I ate mostly fats, meat, and little fruits and some vegetables.
    The weight loss was easy, at 3 pounds the first week (water weight) and it stayed off!
    After staying away from carbs, I did not crave them so I continued my ways.
    I prefer to use up my daily calories on delicious chunks of meat than bland rice or toast.
    Though, I have started to include carb refeeds and I eat a sweet potato or indulge in some Pho with rice noodles.

My exercise regime is 3x heavy lifting, 2-3x cardio (either 3 mile jogs or long walks) and a rest day.
    I currently average about 30-50 grams of carbs a day but I'm petite so this would not be ok for people taller.

s-piper is offline Senior Member
    In the past year my father lost 70lbs and, according to his doctor, reversed his diabetes with a no sugar, no starch diet.
    So he's really been a walking talking testimonial, especially since I have PCOS and IR.

Unicorn is offline Senior Member
    I found it through the leptin reset, and then through other threads here in MDA. AFter initial adjustment, it is the most effective way I have found to bust through the carb cravings and binging. Now when I do 'cheat', I can do it moderately without a complete blowout.

I exercise 3-6 days a week, depending on other stuff. I alternate interval cardio with weights. Other activities include walking, yoga, and playground play with the kids.

252dlp is offline Senior Member
    For me, it keeps the cravings for other things away. I am able to eat less because the higher fat keeps me satiated longer. I tried reducing portion sizes, but was hungry just a little while later. I tried eating larger meals, but was still hungry sooner than I should have been. I have always loved the sweet taste, but it DOES trigger a binge reflex. That's a faulty mechanism somewhere in my thought process, but it's hard to overcome. With VLC I don't have cravings at all, which is sweet (pun intended) relief. I can eat 1 or 2 squares of Lindt 90% cocoa bar without wanting to eat more. It's amazing to me actually.

Right now, I have a severe dread factor for exercise, so I'm doing whatever it is I feel like doing that gets me moving. I'm walking, playing Wii games...anything that is somewhat fun. I'm also trying to do Mark's essential moves at least a couple of times a week and trying to incorporate some sprints.
    Last edited by 252dlp; 03-25-2013 at 09:44 AM. Reason: fix typos

My current diary: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread100765.html
    My original diary: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread77760.html

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 252dlp View Post
    Right now, I have a severe dread factor for exercise, so I'm doing whatever it is I feel like doing that gets me moving.
    What is it about exercise that triggers this and what does it trigger?

Artbuc is offline Senior Member
    For me, it keeps the cravings for other things away. I am able to eat less because the higher fat keep me satiated longer. I tried reducing portion sizes, but was hungry just a little while later. I tried eating larger meals, but was still hungry sooner than I should have been. I have always loved the sweet taste, but it DOES trigger a binge reflex. That's a faulty mechanism somewhere in my thought process, but it's hard to oversome. With VLC I don't have cravings at all, which is sweet (pun intended) relief. I can eat 1 or 2 squares of Lindt 90% cocoa bar without wanting to eat more. It's amazing to me actually.
    This describes me perfectly. Nice to know I am not alone on this planet! Two (on occasion 4) squares of Lindt 90 every morning as a post-breakfast treat.

252dlp is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    What is it about exercise that triggers this and what does it trigger?
    I'm not entirely sure--maybe another faulty thought process, lol. At one time I LOVED it--everything about it. Loved cardio, and loved lifting weights. And, maybe that's it...I think I OVER exercised for a number of years. Then I had major surgery a few years ago and was laid up for one reason or another (all physical) for a couple of years. Maybe it's just plain laziness... Edited to add: though I DO think once I get past this I will enjoy it again...I just need to get moving.

My current diary: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread100765.html
    My original diary: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread77760.html

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I'm not entirely sure--maybe another faulty thought process, lol. At one time I LOVED it--everything about it. Loved cardio, and loved lifting weights. And, maybe that's it...I think I OVER exercised for a number of years. Then I had major surgery a few years ago and was laid up for one reason or another (all physical) for a couple of years. Maybe it's just plain laziness... Edited to add: though I DO think once I get past this I will enjoy it again...I just need to get moving.
    I think moving is the most important thing. Long slow walks are greatly underrated. The body will tell you when it wants to speed up or otherwise do something more strenuous.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast