Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Question for VLC-ers page 2

Ljphalen is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    I eat below 10 grams of carbohydrate almost every day because it keeps my depression and anxiety completely in check, and also seems to quell any obsessive food behaviours (there's not much to obsess about when all you eat is meat, eggs, organs, cheese and spinach).

I really love potatoes, nuts and bananas. I can handle them if I am expending A TON of energy, probably because of glycogen and muscle repair, but who knows?

I've tried to eat more carbohydrates experimentally. Even a few extra grams (say 20g/day) negatively impacts my mood. I get panicky, I start to slide into depression, within a couple of days. I also experience a negative physical response (bloating and farting). Almost-no-carbs takes care of that.

My exercise is mostly at work: lots of walking and lifting heavy boxes and bags (40-80lbs). I haven't found that I need carbohydrates to comfortably support this expenditure.
    Last edited by Ljphalen; 03-25-2013 at 10:43 AM.

Paleobird Guest
    I settled on a VLC lifestyle because of two health problems, epilepsy and cancer(five years ago). The research I did in both these areas led me to the same place. Ketosis works.

But, as Nora Gedgaudas points out in this AHS address, Nora Gedgaudas, if it works so well for so many different types of maladies, why wait until you have one of them before trying it? It's not just for sick people. It is for illness prevention as well.

My exercise consists of a lot of walking and hiking with an occasional LHT set thrown in like some counter pushups while waiting for some tea to heat. I also do some sprints now and then mostly when my dog sees a tasty looking squirrel while we are walking in the park.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    While I'm not VLC, I have understood for about 25+ years that lower carbs than CW suggests is better for me. I had a friend back in the 80s that told me after years of trying everything, his mother (she was in her late 40s at the time) finally lost that last 15 pounds that put her back to her college weight simply by cutting out what he called white starches (bread, cereal, potatoes, rice). He also told me that what the govt recommends as a healthy diet for humans is the same one they recommend to farmers to fatten livestock. He really didn't have to sell it because it made a whole lot of sense to me, and looking back on my lifetime of yoyo-ing, there was a definite correlation between when I was fat (eating lots of carbs) and when I was thin (fewer carbs).
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

OneDeltaTenTango is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    My exercise consists of a lot of walking and hiking with an occasional LHT set thrown in like some counter pushups while waiting for some tea to heat. I also do some sprints now and then mostly when my dog sees a tasty looking squirrel while we are walking in the park.
    Have you ever beaten your dog to the squirrel? If so, how was it?

jmsmall is offline Senior Member
    I'm a doc and think there is probably a bit more science behind true low carb than there is behind the paleo or primal styles. That does NOT mean that Paleo and Primal are in any way "better" or "worse" than true low carb, just not as well TESTED. If you are interested in the science and are reasonably scientifically literate, "The art and science of low carbohydrate living" by Phinney and volek is a good coverage of the subject by two real scientists. Also the eatingacademy.com blog by Dr. Peter Attia has some excellent biochemistry in it. I've been low carb for eight months and have added in nuts, avocados, etc. I'm discovering I might be a chocolate addict, and find it easy to add more and more squares of dark chocolate; I might have to adopt an AA-style attitude (don't even have one.) Fortunately it is easy to eat a lot of delicious food on Low Carb.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    I came to my current one-meal-a-day/VLC way of eating through the fact that I have Asperger's Syndrome. There's very little evidence of VLC diets being used in conjunction with Asperger's or autism, etc., however, it has been used to treat a range of other conditions that often manifest themselves as symptoms of Asperger's and autism. So I decided to try it.

I have found that:

1) I am less jumpy and paranoid than I used to be.
    2) I do much better in social situations than ever before (but still a long way to go!).
    3) I am better able to sleep at nights which is amazing since my overactive autistic brain used to keep me from sleeping well. I'm still a bit of a night owl, but sleep QUALITY is AMAZINGLY better, if not sleep schedule.

My exercise consists of one or two days of heavy lifting a week (depending on schedule), one or two days on the elliptical for two hours (but at a slow walking pace, none of this chronic cardio stuff, so I bring my kindle and read), and one day of primal fitness-esq bodyweight activity including push-ups, prisoner squats, and the like.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    All the arguments for high-fat diets are so logically solid that I do not feel compelled to wait for craptacular science to catch up to it. Even though it has, if you want to believe what's out there. I'm an aspie, too, and life is better when I truly do stay VLC, with a high-carb day tossed in here and there.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

emmie is offline Senior Member
    I discovered that my lifetime of morbid obesity was due to extreme carb sensitivity. I lost the weight, and I also discovered that anything beyond 25g a day will stimulate my appetite and I'll gain. So I remain VLC--which seems to agree with my body, as I feel fine, and all my labs are excellent.

I love low-carb foods, but I eat only low to moderate fat--NOT high fat. I have digestive 'issues' with high fat, and I've read that 'older' women do better in limiting fat (I'm 71).

I do strength training 2-3 days a week, mild cardio another 2 days. Currently, my bad knees are hurting because of some lifting I've done around the house during some remodeling, so I'm not exercising this week to rest the knees.

sroelofs is offline Senior Member
    AS soon as I up carbs I start to crave high carb foods (read cake, sweets, bread). When I eat these my energy disappears and my t\ability to think disappears.

Interestingly, too much protein (read awesome rib eyes) has the same affect. So I've found that I need high fat, moderate protein and low carb. The difference in my energy/thought when I am eating like this, it's chalk and cheese. So Bullet Proof coffee is my friend.

Also, it takes me a couple of weeks of eating this way, with discipline, to see the results. If I indulge in something that has wheat, bad oils or anything artificial (like sweeteners), I regress straight out of my happy place. It then takes me a few weeks to get back. Strange huh?

FireFinder is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    [QUOTE=Ljphalen;1138156]I eat below 10 grams of carbohydrate almost every day because it keeps my depression and anxiety completely in check, and also seems to quell any obsessive food behaviours (there's not much to obsess about when all you eat is meat, eggs, organs, cheese and spinach).

I really love potatoes, nuts and bananas. I can handle them if I am expending A TON of energy, probably because of glycogen and muscle repair, but who knows?

This is so interesting- part of the reason I posted the question was because I am starting to think I get depressed when eating too many carbs (well over 50g/day). I get obsessive and down. I don't know for sure if its' the carbs, but reading that this is the case with you makes me think it's possible for me too.

I've tried to eat more carbohydrates experimentally. Even a few extra grams (say 20g/day) negatively impacts my mood. I get panicky, I start to slide into depression, within a couple of days. I also experience a negative physical response (bloating and farting). Almost-no-carbs takes care of that.

While I eat a primal diet, I've lately (over the last few months) been including lots of fruit, some more starch, and some dairy. And I've been feeling depressed, obsessed, and quite a bit larger. I have gained weight as well- not sure exactly how much, I think at least 10lbs, which I've been trying to drop with sprints, runs, heavy lifting and lots of primal food. I am also wondering if I need to get rid of all but veggies as carb sources.

Anyway, thanks for responding.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast