Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: a question for those of you who've done the insanity workout... page

breetbree is offline Senior Member

a question for those of you who've done the insanity workout...

Primal Fuel
    i'm about to buy beachbody's Insanity Workout within the week. i read a lot that most of it's cardio but there are still strength days. has anyone else who's done insanity added in their own strength routines into insanity's schedule?? i'm talking about maybe adding in one extra strength session each week so it totals 2-3 per week. and i'm talking about pull ups, and more sets of push ups and dips? should i add these in or go through the 2 month program first exactly how it says? thanks in advance! =)

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    It doesn't really replace lifting heavy things, if that's your question. There is a good amount of core work.
    I'd think a routine that includes squats, dead lifts, pull ups and push ups would be complimentary.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

hazmatt is offline Junior Member
    I've done it its tough and the diet is carb grain heavy. I didnt do anything else during the program.

EagleRiverDee is offline Senior Member
    Ignore the diet that comes with the program, obviously. The workout itself is fine but hard on the joints- I ended up having to quit 2/3 of the way through after developing bad knee pain. A lot of people do a P90X/Insanity hybrid so they do more resistance training and less cardio.
    High Weight: 225
    Weight at start of Primal: 189
    Current Weight: 174
    Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

thanks for your guys' input. i'm planning on working around the days the program actually has resistance training incorporated into it. if there's a planned strength day on (let's say tuesday) i'll do it as planned, wait, and if there isn't another all week, do the regular scheduled program but just add pull ups, push ups and dips. how should my diet change since this is such high cardio? along with normally eating primally, and when i'm hungry, should i eat more post-workout because i usually never do high amounts of cardio?? thank you!!

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    Honestly, the "strength" DVD is not much different than the cardio. The moves are a bit different, more push ups, but its not like going and lifting or even doing a full bodyweight routine.

That program hurt my wrists a ton. You spend a lot of time in plank, push up position etc. That said, its fun.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

heatseeker is offline Senior Member
    I did Insanity and it is ALL cardio. Even the more "strength" portions are actually just disguised cardio. I like the P90X/Insanity hybrid that a lot of people have done; I think the mix of the two creates a much more effective workout program than either one alone.

I found Insanity to be really fun! Shaun T is great. WAY better than Tony from P90X (couldn't stand him).

I wouldn't change your diet too much. The most I'd do is throw in an extra sweet potato on cardio days.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
    The workout itself is fine but hard on the joints- I ended up having to quit 2/3 of the way through after developing bad knee pain.
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    That program hurt my wrists a ton. You spend a lot of time in plank, push up position etc.
    In my own mind I am turned off by exercise programs that push the "craziness" of what they are trying to get their clients to accomplish. It makes me feel like they are intended for people who are willing to risk disability to achieve what is on some DVD.

thanks a lot for the tips, everyone! maybe after doing the workout that's strength and cardio, i'll add in my own strength minus the cardio then have my post workout meal. once i finish insanity i may look into p90x. if and when i get and finish p90x, how would you go about making it a hybrid workout? month 1 of p90x, month 1 of insanity, month 2 of p90x, month 2 of insanity and month 3 of p90x to finish it off? thank you all!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    oh and i plan on doing these workouts around 330 or 430 pm. should i eat something before i workout since it's very high cardio? i eat at about 615 am and don't get home from school until 3-430 on most days. i skip lunch at school because it's awful tasting and not even close to primal. so i just do a mini-fast each weekday =)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast