Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: a question for those of you who've done the insanity workout... page 4

zilog is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    In a nutshell it was just too much volume, jumping, impact etc. to make it a sustainable long term workout.
    This is what makes Insanity (and everything like it) sound like a poor program to me. Exercise is all about consistency, whether it's lifting 2/3 times per week or going for a run/swim every morning. I don't see what doing one 60 day program is going to do for you in the long-term. It seems very popular amongst the get-fit-quick crowd, but I've yet to see anybody who's done it end up looking like the guy from the infomercial.

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by breetbree View Post
    haha thanks mr vigilante! I actually added in a strength day today, as it was also my first day of insanity. all I had to do was the fit test. it still made me sweat a lot and my legs were a little sore at the end but that went away quickly. the only upper body thing I had to do for that was push up jacks, so about an hour after of having my post workout nutrition, I did pull ups, chin ups, dips, and push ups, then had more whey protein for hopefully quicker recovery. the strength session only was an added 30 minutes of upper body exercises. so far i'm feeling pretty good
    Everyone is different but the fit test is nothing compared to the actual workouts. You are probably going to have to considerably bump up your carb intake if you plan on doing 6 sessions a week in addition to strength training. Not to mention your strength training sessions aren't going to be super productive after an Insanity workout (or vice versa). People always bitch about over exercising on this forum when 99% of the people are far... far from over training. Insanity isn't over exercising. The actual workout portion is less than 30 minutes. If you do decide to add in strength, basically running 2-a-day routine, I would space it out as far as you could. After Max Interval Plyo, you will be absolutely dead and not want to do anything for awhile . Basically it comes down to how your body is reacting to the program. Give it a try, if it doesn't work, uh, stop the strength portion...
    "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

MrVigilante is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fernaldo View Post
    People always bitch about over exercising on this forum when 99% of the people are far... far from over training. Insanity isn't over exercising. The actual workout portion is less than 30 minutes. If you do decide to add in strength, basically running 2-a-day routine, I would space it out as far as you could. After Max Interval Plyo, you will be absolutely dead and not want to do anything for awhile
    Interesting data you must have about the 99%.

I don't know, if you're doing insanity "correctly" you should be around max heart rate almost the entire time. 30-45 minutes of that 5-6 days a week for two months is the very definition of chronic cardio. When I was done I was well conditioned... at doing lots of jumps in a half hour's time. Didn't really have much practical use or benefit to my particular life activities considering the effort put in. I got my body fat % and muscle tone exactly where I wanted it with much less effort/frequency and more interesting workouts.

Bottom line for most people when you mix heavy endurance training and strength training the strength mostly gets cancelled out. I just don't see the point to adding strength workouts to it in terms of return one is likely to get based on time investment. I don't know anybody who hasn't done 2 a day programs longterm without suffering overtraining symptoms, either just stressing the body hence getting no results, if not actual physical injury.

But to each their own I guess.

breetbree is offline Senior Member
    i've only been on the program since monday, but aren't having too difficult of a time with the dvd workout and added strength workouts. i haven't really bumped up my carbs that much, either. i do the dvd early morning, and the strength at noon or some time around 2 or 3 p.m. i feel fine for the most part, just my legs (mostly calves) are a little sore. i don't plan to really do the same thing long term. after i complete the 60 day program, i'll pull out a dvd a few times each week. probably plyo because that's one of my fitness goals, is being able to have better cardio conditioning and jumping capabilities. why do you think the strength gets "cancelled out" by me doing the endurance work also?

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zilog View Post
    It seems very popular amongst the get-fit-quick crowd...
    The get-fit-quick crowd is a huge market.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234