Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: a question for those of you who've done the insanity workout... page 3

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Having done Insanity.... it is not that bad. It really isn't that crazy or insane or "XTREME". I'm sure our fore-fathers did far more on a farm, LOL. The intense part runs like 25 minutes with breaks. If you aren't in shape, you can't go at it with the intensity of the people on TV. You have a long warm up with like 10 minutes of stretching, maybe a few of that doing shit like jumping jacks. Then you cool down and stretch for 5. Honestly... it may run for 50 minutes on the DVD. 5 of that is a warning, 10 is the warm up, 25 is the work out, 5 is the cool down and 5 is an infomercial for nutrient shakes.

It's not much harder than running a 5K.

It's kind of "extreme" next to say, "Sweating To The Oldies".

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

breetbree is offline Senior Member
    i think insanity would be good for me. as philosopher dan was saying, some people just hit plateaus. i don't like thinking of my whole fitness routine, i always tend to find something wrong with it for some reason. i did a bit of p90x before and thought it was great because i felt like a great workout and it's completely and thoroughly planned out and right there on the dvd for me to do. i just like the fact that it's a challenge, it's laid out plain and simple for anyone to follow, and i've heard good things about it from a few people i actually know who did it. i looked at the workout schedule, googled those individual programs and marked which days i plan on doing my pull ups and whatnot. almost every week i'm adding in 1-3 strength days, so very soon i'll be able to tell you guys how that works out!

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    I did Insanity and Asylum quite awhile ago. It's great for conditioning. You will be pretty gassed after these workouts. If I were you, I would just do the program and then switch over to a strength training program after and incorporate some HIIT to maintain conditioning. I just started doing this recently, I normally just lift and do barbell complexes but I recently added 2-3 insanity routines a week. Man, I forget how good you feel after those workouts. I'm pissed because I can't find my damn Asylum DVDs. the speed and agility workout is fun.
    "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

glad to hear you enjoyed it, fernaldo! asylum looks like fun, i may check into it after insanity

MrVigilante is offline Junior Member
    I've done Insanity, the workouts are tough but like others have said, if you're already fit they'll be challenging but not "insane". The most challenging aspect for me was doing it the entire 60 days, especially when I was dead tired/exhausted physically towards the last few weeks (but I did it). Having done many of the beachbody programs and similar things before getting more into the primal lifestyle, my hindsight opinion is that they are not really healthy longterm and are basically overexercising. I did lose weight on insanity, but I've actually gotten the results I thought I'd get from it in body composition on primal philosophy (heavy lifts a few times a week, occasional sprints). That said, I totally get when you've got the bug to challenge yourself and complete a program like that, and as long as you give your body a well deserved break for a couple weeks after and only do these programs 1 or maybe 2 times a year, there are definitely far worse ways you could spend your time. There is something to be said for finishing a structured program/challenge that a general lifestyle approach doesn't quite have. So yeah, work out smart and don't overdo it, listen to your body and pull back on the intensity/frequency when you're done, and I think you'll enjoy the challenge and accomplishment.

very good points, mr vigilante. would you consider having 2-3 strength workouts each week overdoing it while doing insanity? i plan on finishing the dvd workout then moving onto strength a few minutes after. then having my post workout nutrition.

Goldust is offline Junior Member
    I purchased Insanity for my wife some time ago as she likes these types of workouts. She finished Insanity and while she liked it she said that she would almost certainly never do the whole routine again from start to finish. She does occasionally pulls out a random dvd from time to time for variety.

In a nutshell it was just too much volume, jumping, impact etc. to make it a sustainable long term workout. Also if you are interested in building strength, Insanity probably isn't a good choice. It may be good for cardio/endurance but with this kind of volume/reps you aren't going to make any meaningful strength gains.

so where is everyone's stand point on if i should add in extra strength days? i'm thinking about doing it, i just don't know if i'll be able to lose fat and build muscle both well, while doing insanity... it should be at my house tomorrow around 11-12. thanks, and happy easter, everyone!

MrVigilante is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by breetbree View Post
    so where is everyone's stand point on if i should add in extra strength days? i'm thinking about doing it, i just don't know if i'll be able to lose fat and build muscle both well, while doing insanity... it should be at my house tomorrow around 11-12. thanks, and happy easter, everyone!
    Well, like I said, in regards to the program, I believe it's overexercising out of the box. So if it were me, I definitely wouldn't add strength on top of it. Lots of people get the strength workouts by doing a P90x/Insanity hybrid, which is basically the 3 days of strength from P90x and insanity on the days in-between. That sounds like a more reasonable compromise to me, but I still think it would be overdoing it for most people.

Couple of other points I'll make: Insanity is an intense cardio workout, but it's not really great from a program design perspective. I believe Beachbody is a good company, but they are master marketers, don't forget that. From primal lifestyle perspective it's chronic cardio. In my own research, I've come across some analysis of it and other workout programs by some of the exercise research organizations in the past and it came dead last for how well it's designed, and it really feels that way when doing it. None of the days really feel different, save for the "recovery" day, it's all just similar high intensity cardio and all runs together as one big blob of high heart rate stuff. I would bet money that you could mix up all the days of the program randomly and still get the same results.

It really sounds like you've got the bug though. I've been there, where the excitement and enthusiasm and desire to get results pushes you to try to do as much as possible in as little time as possible. I learned my lesson from some overtraining injuries (mild, luckily) and now feel better and got much better results pulling back a lot. It's counter-intuitive to that drive to achieve, but it's how it works. I've said my peace, hopefully you figure out what works best for you. Good luck, and if you're hell bent to learn the overtraining lesson the hard way, hopefully it's learnt fast...

haha thanks mr vigilante! I actually added in a strength day today, as it was also my first day of insanity. all I had to do was the fit test. it still made me sweat a lot and my legs were a little sore at the end but that went away quickly. the only upper body thing I had to do for that was push up jacks, so about an hour after of having my post workout nutrition, I did pull ups, chin ups, dips, and push ups, then had more whey protein for hopefully quicker recovery. the strength session only was an added 30 minutes of upper body exercises. so far i'm feeling pretty good

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast