Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: a question for those of you who've done the insanity workout... page 2

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I'm always amazed how many people are on this forum asking questions about the Beachbody programs when they are clearly not aimed at supporting the needs of the vast majority on here.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Palfrey View Post
    I'm always amazed how many people are on this forum asking questions about the Beachbody programs when they are clearly not aimed at supporting the needs of the vast majority on here.
    Infomercials man. If its on tv people just get hypnotized by it.

breetbree is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Infomercials man. If its on tv people just get hypnotized by it.
    it's actually because one of my good buddies recently lost a lot of weight and got in great shape using it. i'm just wondering about changing up the strength aspect of it and nutrition...

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    I think they are good workouts, as is P-90X. They are novel, entertaining, scalable and challenging. They get people moving and you don't need a gym.

I'm loathe to criticize anything that gets people moving in a nation of couch potatoes.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    I think they are good workouts, as is P-90X. They are novel, entertaining, scalable and challenging. They get people moving and you don't need a gym.

I'm loathe to criticize anything that gets people moving in a nation of couch potatoes.
    They are good workouts for people who can handle them. But not everybody can, and not everyone has the judgment to make that decision.

Injuries can really set a person back. In the world of dieting, people who tie together diet and exercise will often give up on their eating plan when they get injured. I prefer to make slow progress rather than risk injury and possible permanent sidelining from fitness.

But not everybody can, and not everyone has the judgment to make that decision.
    Are you saying that harder workouts should not be available because people get hurt? Ultimately, it's your own responsibility to work out safely. In terms of movements that can injure you, P-90X is really pretty safe unless you overload the weight (again, you make that mistake- he doesn't tell you how much to lift). Insanity gets a little risky with the high impact moves, again, use your judgment. My wrist started hurting, so I stopped. I made it through 1.5 cycles.

I feel like Insanity is targeted to people already in shape, and P-90X also has a precursor that he recommends for beginners.

Slow progress makes sense for fitness, but sometimes you plateau and need something fresh. At some point, taking a walk, doing some sprints and doing body weight exercises may get old. You might not have access to a gym. The Beachbody stuff gives you alternatives.

I also think that the person who tries to keep up with Shaun T and gets hurt on their first day of Insanity is the same one that shows up at the gym and tries to dead lift too much weight before learning form, that ends up with a blown out knee from adding mileage too fast on running etc. etc. etc.

Yeah, my wrist started to hurt. And when I did the PB body weight, my hip got sore. When I ran, I had lower back issues. My hip gets a little sore with my current class. Horseback riding hurts my back. You do need to tolerate some aches and pain in life if you want to be active.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    Ultimately, it's your own responsibility to work out safely.
    There is truth to that. But at the same time, there are plenty of people out there with no background to make this judgment who get attracted by the marketing. The marketing is targeting people like that.

There is truth to that. But at the same time, there are plenty of people out there with no background to make this judgment who get attracted by the marketing. The marketing is targeting people like that.
    I don't know.... I guess he sold the product to me, at the time I was a chronic cardio person being treated for back pain. I saw the value of more diversity and felt that the workout would be harder than the typical DVD that didn't push me at all. I have two other friends who bought it- one is a chiropracter, former gymnast, very fit. The other has a lot of experience with the TaeBo stuff. I also know some Beach Body coaches and for the most part, they have solid backgrounds in fitness.

On the website, they have a section of selections for beginners (does not include Insanity) and advanced (includes Insanity).

I think Beachbody is a company that makes money, for sure, but also sells an effective product. The marketing can be a turn off, and super overwhelming. Maybe the disclaimers should be a little more clear, but what other business markets their products with giant warnings discouraging you... except cigarettes.

I think Profs. Palfrey, Neckhammer and eKatherine all make some interesting and valid points.

But this thread brings to mind some I recall from a few months ago, where the subject of exercise levels were broached in a way which seems contrary to the spirit (if not the letter) of the whole Primal thing. In those threads, the OP (sorry, I didn't feel like searching to find the exact poster) noted that in order to achieve her goals, she needed to do what most here would consider excessive exercise - even beyond what one finds in the various Beachbody programs referenced on this thread. She had done everything recommended on this site and in the book, but that didn't quite get her where she needed to be.

I think people looking into Insanity, etc, tend to be in that boat - and I tend to be sympathetic to them. For many people, the sorts of exercises typically recommended here work very well. But for others, it just isn't enough. Of course, there is a whole thread for athletes; and I tend to think that the sort of person who needs more than some slow moving and an occasional sprint, plus a few days of lifting tends to fall into the athlete category (even if they don't formally compete). If the OP falls into that category, then Insanity is probably a good fit for her.

There is something else to consider in this regard, too. Although she doesn't get into this, if the OP has lost a significant amount of weight previously, and is now trying to regain some of that weight loss, the sort of exercise routine suggested by Primal philosophy might not be adequate, anyway. Emerging research seems to be indicating that there is a significant metabolic slowdown after major weight loss - which slowdown might not be reversible. This is emerging research, of course. Still, it seems to be indicating that the amount of exercise needed to keep up a weight loss, that is, the maintenance amount, is at least as great, or even greater, than what was needed to achieve the weight loss in the first place! (NOTE: This seems to be further exacerbated by following a low-fat, high carb diet, which adds as much as a 400/day calorie deficit to the picture! Primal would probably fall somewhere in between the low glycemic, which is decent, and low-carb, high-fat diet, which is best for that, but has other associated issues, such as high levels of cortisol). That being the case, something as extreme as Insanity or P90x might be required for people to maintain or re-acquire a significant weight loss.

I would simply recommend that she make sure to add some pullups. The first version of Insanity has none. I think he rectified that in the second version, but I'm not sure.

In terms of the marketing, I think those are valid points (although perhaps for different reasons). Nor would the fact that we should be responsible consumers completely mitigate the responsibility a company like Beachbody should have in making sure not to over-exaggerate their claims. That doesn't mean it's not a good program, though - it just might mean that it's not a good program for some people (which it certainly isn't - for some, perhaps many, people).

Prof. Magnolia is right that we ought to be aware of what we can and can't do. I think the fact that so many have difficulties here speaks to a generally poor state of public education on the subject, rather than to individual failures of personal responsibility. Still, if you are just now getting off the couch, you ought to at least know that Insanity is not yet for you!

ecole66 is offline Senior Member
    the biggest problem I see with these programs and their marketing is that it makes overweight and out of shape people believe that you have to do this crazy amount of "cardio" to be thin and healthy. If I believed I had to flop around and sweat like crazy for an hour a day to lose wight and be healthy I would be a big fat sloth.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast