Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long does it take to notice a negative reaction to a food? page

How long does it take to notice a negative reaction to a food?

Shop Now
    Sorry if this seems like a dumb question: How long does it take for you to notice your body's negative response to a particular food? I'm asking because I had tacos for the first time in several months yesterday... yes, non-primal tacos with crunchy corn shells. I was very hungry and they were delicious. I'm not going to pretend they weren't. HOWEVER, I had heartburn that started immediately after dinner and lasted for many hours. The pain was all in the belly, which is where I tend to get heartburn (not in the throat). It sucked. It made me never want to eat tacos again. (I know, I know: I should have made a shell-less taco salad.)

I'm assuming this is my body telling me that I can no longer eat corn taco shells, even rarely. But then again, sometimes the reaction isn't immediate. Say you have an episode of diarrhea one morning. Do you assume that's from whatever you had from dinner the night before? Or could it be from lunch? How do you establish the link between a particular negative reaction and a particular food you'd eaten, so you know what not to eat again?

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Most things that bother me bother me by the next day, though there are some things that only bother me if I do them over several days.

If I ate a meal of tortilla chips or shells, I'd have horrible constipation the next day. Eating wheat affects me within about 8 hours, mostly joint pain and flu-like symptoms. So when I ate something that had bread hidden in it for lunch one day, I was feeling very sick by bedtime. Same with oats but not quite so bad. Dairy (casein) causes pain in the feet and swelling in the ankles within a few hours. Wine hurts the next day (if at all, some types are okay). There are a few more, but you get the idea.

By eating clean most of the time, an unknown episode is probably limited to one or two possibilities. Then it's just the process of elimination.
    Last edited by eKatherine; 03-24-2013 at 07:41 PM.

WeldingHank is online now Senior Member
    From wheat:gas within 20mins, diarrhea within 2 hours.
    From dairy: acne next morning.

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    By eating clean most of the time, an unknown episode is probably limited to one or two possibilities. Then it's just the process of elimination.
    This makes sense, as I've sometimes wondered about this question too.

But you still might not know what actual ingredient you are reacting to - for example it might be your corn, but then again it could be some hidden oil or something like that.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Annieh View Post
    This makes sense, as I've sometimes wondered about this question too.

But you still might not know what actual ingredient you are reacting to - for example it might be your corn, but then again it could be some hidden oil or something like that.
    Once you add something to the list of stuff you react to, it's no longer a mystery. We often eat at a Chinese/Japanese restaurant that uses soy oil. I order sashimi and bring my own gf soy sauce. My boyfriend eats whatever and reacts. The symptoms of eating soy oil are pretty reproducible, so if we eat somewhere else that fries in soy oil, he will have the same symptoms.

Some years back I came to the conclusion that drinking coffee was making me sick. I decided it was the dairy I was putting in it, so after eliminating it for a few days I had coffee with almond milk. I got sick again. It was the coffee.

Primal123 is offline Senior Member
    I react anywhere from immediately to several hours later. I have never figured out why there is a difference but it varies. How do i know what is causing the reaction? Over time it has been process of elimination. It took me forever to figure out I am allergic to onions. I am currently thinking I may be allergic to cayenne peppers or another food that was in the same dish I ate the day I had the allergic reaction. Both are currently off my list of foods I eat just to be safe.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Probably depends on your sensitivity and how fast your digestion is
    Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    Some years back I came to the conclusion that drinking coffee was making me sick. I decided it was the dairy I was putting in it, so after eliminating it for a few days I had coffee with almond milk. I got sick again. It was the coffee.
    for years i thought i was lactose-intolerant. once i gave up the krap grains i always ate with the cheese, et voila! issue resolved.

agree with the others that once your diet is dialed in, it's easy to pinpoint marauders.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Thanks for the responses... I could do strict Paleo (in case cheese and not corn was the problem) for a bit and then try adding back things one at a time and pay careful attention to how I feel. Is that what you guys did? I guess I shouldn't have been surprised by the taco thing. I didn't have any issues with tacos pre-Primal, but this forum is full of people who can now no longer eat X food they previously thought was delicious either because it makes them sick or now tastes gross to them.

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    it may have been the corn, it may have been the rancid industrial soybean oil they used to fry the tortillas. in a former life i was a fiend for chips. now i can smell the rotten oil and it makes my stomach turn.

i don't know how long you've been eating this way (Jan?) or how strict you are normally, but the fact that dinner made you feel gross would be a giant red light to me to keep away from junk oils and junk grains. cause and effect, yes? don't worry right now about adding foods back or what you can't imagine going without. just stay clean. eventually, you stop thinking about ever eating most of those foods.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast