Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How long does it take to notice a negative reaction to a food? page 2

EagleRiverDee is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    According to my doctor, it can take up to 3 days. When I did an anti-inflammatory diet to figure out what foods I had allergies to, I had to cut every food that is a known allergen out of my diet and then after 3 weeks (to completely purge my body of it) I was allowed to put 1 food group back in every 3 days. And you have to watch for even subtle things. Hives or a migraine are obvious but a slightly upset stomach or mild headache isn't so obvious.
    High Weight: 225
    Weight at start of Primal: 189
    Current Weight: 174
    Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Yep, sometimes a few minutes, sometimes a few days. A snicker's bar with trans-fats and all the rest? My skin almost immediately feels oily and gross. Possible boils within hours, hydrogenated soybean oil = Lucifer. Dairy has a more cumulative effect, zits within days if I eat too much too often - but I can get away with a bit. Wheat, my joints hurt the next morning and it takes a few days to get rid of the pain.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Immediately, lasting up to 5-24 hours, depending on if I also exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by noodletoy View Post

i don't know how long you've been eating this way (Jan?) or how strict you are normally, but the fact that dinner made you feel gross would be a giant red light to me to keep away from junk oils and junk grains. cause and effect, yes? don't worry right now about adding foods back or what you can't imagine going without. just stay clean. eventually, you stop thinking about ever eating most of those foods.
    Yeah, I've been doing this since January. Lost 10 lbs pretty quickly, but now my weight has remained steady (5'6" female, 152 lbs) for the past month. I've been noticing other benefits, though -- like my face is clearing up, and my energy level is even throughout the day. No "OMG I have to eat something RIGHT THIS SECOND" jittery panic from not eating for a few hours. So I'm going to stay on this train... and stay the hell away from taco shells. Whether it was the corn or the oil, my body is not a fan. I've been able to eat small amounts of white rice without a problem. That's sort of borderline primal, right? Still learning...

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    I assume you ate out. Therefore you probably have no idea what was in the taco's or what their cooking method was. It could be a whole variety of things your body objected to.

The body's responses vary widely depending on what it's objecting to. In general, before PB I either didn't pay attention, couldn't tell, or my body had quit responding. And it was slowly just shutting down.

Actually, we ate at home. (I was intending to make a taco salad and let my non-Primal husband eat the store-bought shells.) So at least there wasn't any mystery cooking oil involved.

AMonkey is offline Senior Member
    Depends on the food. If I drink milk I get cramps within 5 minutes. Same with wheat.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I never eat anything "Mexican" out. The sauces and fillings may be thickened with flour, and everything is fried in the same fryolator together. Everything is cross-contaminated with gluten but vegetable salad with cheese. Seasoning mixes often contain gluten, too. So grilled meat is a no-no. The last time I went to a "Mexican" restaurant with a group, the menu was bragging about their "secret seasoning blend". Sure. Spare me. If it's got secret ingredients, it's contaminated with gluten and who knows what else. How can they do that to their patrons?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12