Thread: butter page

David is offline Senior Member

butter

I thought about purchasing a container of pumpkin butter at Super Supplements. Do you know if this is a good PB butter?
    The cost was around 19 dollars for a 16 oz. container. Ouch!

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Pumpkin seed butter, I assume? It might be high in PUFAs and Omega 6 and not a good idea to use every single day, but probably all right.

buffalo is offline Junior Member
    Pumpkin seeds have a 7-10 gram omega 3 to 20 gram omega 6 ratio. So one of the few seeds with a significant source of omega 3, but still relatively high in omega 6. Not sure what the make-up of the omega 3 is though, wonder if it's mostly short chain, or if there is any long chain DHA or EPA in there?

$19 for 16 oz is expensive. You should be able to find even an organic source of pumpkin seed butter for significantly cheaper. If I'm going to spend some money on a good nut butter, I always go for the macadamia nut butter. Low in omega 6, and easily the best tasting of the nuts. It's a win-win. I find pumpkin seed butter pretty low on the "nut taste totem pole".

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    It's not going to be DHA or EPA, it will be ALA which has a downright terrible conversion to HUFAs. I think that ALA blocks the absorption of LA if they're consumed together but you're going to want a 1:1 ratio which is a far cry from what's found in any nut other than macadamia, and I think that in general just limiting linoleic acid in and of itself is the wisest choice.

I second macadamias. Also nut butters tend to be roasted and roasting PUFAs is bad news.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

avocado is offline Senior Member
    Pumpkin butter is usually made with sugar and pumpkin flesh, like apple butter. Do you mean pumpkin butter or pumpkin seed butter? I must admit I've never seen pumpkin butter sold in gallon jars.

say_rahhh is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by buffalo View Post
    "nut taste totem pole".
    Oh jeezus, if I said *that* around my friends, everyone would piss themselves.
    Because if you didn't know, of that is life made: only of moments; Don't lose the now.
    ~Borges