Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I still have acne! :( page 3

Traveller is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Thanks guys, this is all really helpful.

qqemokitty, I don't wear any makeup at all.

According to my friends, my acne is clearing up, gradually. I think I'll continue my honey cleanse, but with manuka honey.
    And I guess I'll just give it some time.

Gladmorning, where do you find castor oil? Supermarkets, health shops...?

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    You have a hormonal imbalance.

diene is offline Senior Member
    If you've only been primal for one week, then it hasn't been long enough for anything to happen. I used to get this horrible cystic acne mostly on my chin. It pretty much stopped when I went primal. I have only gotten one cystic acne since going primal almost a year ago, and I'm pretty sure that was due to the fact that I fell off the wagon for a few days and ate a bunch of crap (a box of Cheez-Its, a bag of Goldfish, and half a box of animal crackers, to be precise).

Some people are sensitive to dairy and get acne when consuming dairy. Others (me, I think) get it when consuming wheat. It takes time to see the effects of dietary changes so give it at least a month before despairing. If you're going through a really rough time (terrible acne), consider seeing a dermatologist. He or she will probably prescribe you an antibiotic and some kind of topical cream (I got Prascion--it's a sulfur and sulfacetamide-based cream, worked quite well). Antibiotics are obviously not good, but, if you're experiencing really bad, out-of-control breakouts right now, a course of antibiotics can clear things up so you can begin to heal. Just don't make it a habit. It's really not good for you and will stop working anyway once the bacteria adapt. I've only gotten the antibiotics once, and they really helped me at the time.

ozbuckley is offline Senior Member
    I used to have horrible acne on my back and on my face.

For the last 10 months my back acne has completely cleared up and my face acne has reduced by 90%. I'm one of those people who won't be completely satisfied until it is 100% gone.

I've discovered that my acne is connected so some gut issue - bacterial overgrowth, leaky gut, etc. This also has other complications such as Thyroid misfunction (hypothyroid). There is a strong link between SIBO (small intestinal bacterial overgrowth) and Hypothyroidism.

Adding in some starch, ala Perfect Health Diet, has helped I think rather than being super low carb like I was in the past. Healing the gut has been the best thing for me.

WeldingHank is online now Senior Member
    For me, it was dairy. It takes 3 weeks to go away if I indulge again. Give dairy free some time.

heatseeker is offline Senior Member
    A single day of wheat bingeing will make my jaw and neck break out in terrible cystic acne. I don't get it anywhere else on my body. However, I used to have pretty consistent facial breakouts, and it's only after 4 years of primal and using only natural products to cleanse my face that my skin is mostly clear. I think it took a long time to heal whatever was happening in my gut and make my hormones level out. The only reason I'm so certain there's a gut-skin connection is that whenever I do have wheat, the acne reaction is swift and obvious.

Moral of the story: keep going with primal, be patient, and in the meantime be as gentle and kind to your skin as possible with lots of honey and coconut oil.

Traveller is offline Senior Member
    Thanks Heatseeker!
    Should I take more probiotics? In kefir, or greek yoghurt, maybe?

Bosnic is offline Senior Member
    "I've been almost 100% primal for the past week... And I still have acne."

Funny. Who said paleo was a cure for acne? My own acne has gone down some since avoiding grains and high-GI foods, but in no way has it been cured.

Lizzielou is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosnic View Post
    "I've been almost 100% primal for the past week... And I still have acne."

Funny. Who said paleo was a cure for acne? My own acne has gone down some since avoiding grains and high-GI foods, but in no way has it been cured.
    Try re-reading PB, all sorts of claims in there about the wonderful state of your skin and no viral illness's etc. So I don't believe everything I read, nor does Primal eating have to follow through with all those claims to make me think that it's worthwhile, but it would be nice to see some improvement. I can live with the odd spot of acne.

kiks is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I had acne breakouts (i think cystic acne) for years, and in the past 9 months of eating a paleo diet (and cut out dairy), the breakouts have significantly lessened My acne breakouts tended to occur around that time of month...so i mostly attribute it to hormones. But reading some of the posts here about dairy makes me think, i recently have had some dairy here and there, and have seen some cystic acne...so wondering if my body just doesn't like dairy.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast