Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Loose Skin and Primal Eating page 2

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    my understanding is that "loose skin" is a result of crash dieting. your body doesn't have time to "retract" it. yes, it's an organ, but it's not infinitely elastic.

the daughter of a friend had gastric bypass last year. she weighed 400 pounds or so. yes, very big. at the beginning, she was losing 10-15 pounds per month. at the 6-month mark, she was noticeably smaller, but still had a giant tire around her lower abdomen, which i suspect will require surgery to remove. a surgery most insurance plans won't cover, even while they will pay for the bypass. feh.

eat right and keep moving.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by noodletoy View Post
    my understanding is that "loose skin" is a result of crash dieting. your body doesn't have time to "retract" it. yes, it's an organ, but it's not infinitely elastic.

This is what I understand as well. If you eat healthy and exercise, you likely won't lose super quickly. But you will give your skin a chance to keep up and shrink as the rest of you does. I've lost 20lbs, all my stretch marks are from my 2 pregnancies.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    A lot of dieters say loose skin is a result of dieting too fast. I'm not sure whether there is truth to that or just an excuse they use not to lose weight. I suspect that time is the biggest factor. Whether you take 6 months, a year, or 2 years to lose the weight, your skin will probably be the same at the 5 year mark.

I have seen some videos on youtube about this, including a rather graphic tummy tuck operation, where the surgeon tightened up the patient's abdominal fascia by sewing a seam up it, because her "abdominal muscles had become loose from pregnancy".

It looked to me like he was tightening up her visceral fat. I've been pregnant and I don't seem to have a large abdominal musculature, though it would have appeared that way when I was fat.

It is clear that often the "loose skin" you see in these videos would not be nearly so loose if it didn't have 2 or more inches of fat. People do surgery instead of losing weight because they think it's the easy way out.

I think those giant scars that are left by tuck operations are a result of the thickness of the remaining fat in the area. If the patients had lost down to their ideal weight, they would probably have much finer scars.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Zinc, sufficient A and C and gelatin/bone broth with help with skin health/elasticity.

There is also laser cosmetic therapy that can help.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    I'm having trouble with flab as I lose. My fat used to be really firm, and now a lot of areas are wrinkly and like jello. I a lot of my old firmness was water retention and as I have lost fat, my skin has not shrunk. I think a lot boils down to genetics and age.

I have seen before and afters on the skin surgeries, and it looks like a lot of them are performed on people that could still lose weight. Like they normally have say gone from 300 to 175, and could still lose another 30-40 lbs., but I imagine the skin and flab just gets in the way and starts to drive you nuts- things like skin hanging over the knees, lower abs that cover your crotch. It looks like a lot of these people are probably in a lot of discomfort. The surgery in no way renders them bikini ready though.

My plan is to carry on and keep losing. I am getting ready to up my working out to work on increasing my muscle mass.

I don't think its an easy way out at all. The surgery looks painful and expensive, with pretty unimpressive results in terms of being "bikini ready".

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    I don't think its an easy way out at all. The surgery looks painful and expensive, with pretty unimpressive results in terms of being "bikini ready".
    I don't think it's an easy way out either. But they just see losing the weight, or at least the rest of the weight, as impossible.

A lot of these are the people who elected for bariatric surgery because they thought it would be easier than losing weight. I see people on weight loss forums like that, saying that if they can't make this diet work, they will have to have surgery. But they seem to be using the surgery as a fall-back. I mean, people who keep eating desserts, candy, and soda around the clock and then say that the surgery will solve their problems.

I'm firming up, but the skin on my belly has taken on an odd texture. The old stretch marks and the regular skin seem to be doing something different. But as I've said, if I've got the figure for a bikini, I will wear one and probably look better than half or three quarters of the 25 year olds on the beach. I will look better than when I was young and flabby skinny-fat.

My upper arms? Not so much. We'll see after I lose all the weight how much more they will tighten up.
    Last edited by eKatherine; 03-25-2013 at 09:21 AM.

0Angel0 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mandypandy2246 View Post
    Wow .. Angel do you have any before and after pictures? I'd love to see! Also, did you have any stretch marks from weight gain? My belly is covered.
    When I'm 100% firmly where I want to be I do plan to post pictures. I think it might be cathartic. Right now I'm finding that as my body shrinks in my head I know I look better but there's a part of me that still feels humongous and self conscious. I certainly feel so much better but all it takes is one glimpse of a fat picture and i feel like that girl all over again. This was the first time (and only time!!) I've never been that overweight and lost so much so I'm not sure if that's normal or how to deal with it just yet. :/

I do have some stretch marks but nothing major IMO. Thighs, sides of hips, lower back right above my butt, and I noticed two light ones recently on each side of my lower stomach. I can weigh 200 lbs at 5.7 1/2 and still have a flat stomach. That's not where I gain my weight first. I showed my bf and he said he never noticed them. IDK if he's lying to make me feel better or not. Probably is! Strangely when I got my period at 12 1/2 is when I started getting stretch marks on the sides of my hips. I wasn't even close to being overweight. Maybe this is common, not sure, but I've noticed that women of all sizes have them in that particular spot.

0Angel0 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Zinc, sufficient A and C and gelatin/bone broth with help with skin health/elasticity.
    This! I've been big into the bone broth for the past year. I have a mug full almost every day. Recently I've started adding gelatin to my hot drinks as it's totally tasteless just in case something changes in my skin now that I'm on the home stretch.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12