Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Non organic... page 4

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    For me, the most important thing about primal was learning the difference between factory meats and pastured meats. I already ate more seafood than a lot of people, so I really didn't take a hit there. Factory eggs have been increasing in price lately, so when I first started eating at least organic/cage free eggs, I was paying twice what factory eggs cost; now it's only 50% more.

Yes, it's expensive to transition from CAFO to pastured, but to me it was worth it. Chicken and pork, which used to be some of the cheapest source of protein for me are the two meats with the biggest price hike, so I just eat less of them.

Pastured half'n'half is twice as expensive as nondairy creamer, and 25% more expensive than factory. But this one is important to me as I don't want to have hormones or pus in my milk. Butter went up about 60%, but a pound of butter lasts a long time, so no big.

I kicked and screamed (mentally) about how much I was paying for food, and then one day a switch just flipped. I no longer saw non-factory raised food as expensive, it's just that factory food is so cheap.

I don't have a lot of money, but I live a pretty simple life. A 20 year old car (that I love), so my insurance is low. No paying for TV - I only watch what streams for free online (that's $90/month back in my pocket). I don't have a cell phone because I don't need one. Actually, I'm even thinking about ditching the land line and just doing free google phone. And since mostly giving up wheat, I probably save about $100/month in pizza delivery.

However, if I were a student, or had a big family, or just flat out couldn't afford it, I'd make due. I'd probably switch more toward fish than mammals. But as long as I have a choice, I'm going to eat animals that aren't treated like garbage and aren't shot up with hormones. It's good for my health.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

qqemokitty is offline Senior Member
    Buy what you can afford. Eating conventional meat and produce is still better than eating mcdonalds and hot pockets washed down with soda.

youll be ok. im actually switching back to conventional meat and produce right now to save some money. sometimes we need to compromise.

Forgotmylastusername is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    It is a vegan myth based on wishful thinking that people need hardly any protein to survive. I've never seen it recommended before that people should just cut way back on all their food though.
    1g per pound of lbm rule is the myth. I have no need to be excreting excess urea because I'm eating double or triple my protein requirements.

lmoya83 is offline Senior Member
    Thanks everyone for your feedback I am going to stick with conventional!

Thanks guys!

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Forgotmylastusername View Post
    1g per pound of lbm rule is the myth. I have no need to be excreting excess urea because I'm eating double or triple my protein requirements.
    I eat less than this, around .7g/lb of lbm. I do think standard recommendations of up to 1.5g/lb of bodyweight are far too high. But I have seen vegan recommendations of 35g total for a day. Or less.

Zach is offline Banned
    Seriously if you cant afford to buy organic/free range/grass fed, etc then you need to prioritize your spending. There really is no excuse. Live simpler, sell off stuff your dont use or need, eliminate unnecessary bills. You only get one body and one life, you would think people would be more interested in keeping their body in good condition.

Also i agree that on average, people are consuming way more animal products then they need. The average adult will only need a minimal amount to cover bases as ling as they are getting enough fuel from the other macros. Seriously, look at breastmilk. Breastmilk is fueling a child that will double its size in months and that child only needs %10~ of its calories from protein. Why on earth would adults who are not still growing need 30%+? If you are on a diet or trying to gain a lot of lean mass then maybe you would need more. Also people forget that there are amino acids in all foods and they all add up.

kitoi is offline Senior Member
    I've been eating primarily pastured meats but I don't purchase those outrageously priced cuts. I stick to organs, they damn near give them away. Kidneys $1, liver $2, heart $2, spleen $1, trotters $1, pig ears free, pig head $5, pig tongue $2, beef tongue $4. If/when I buy muscle meats I get tough cuts that are some what reasonable. Tried a grass fed ribeye once, sure it great but that didn't justify the cost.

As for veggies I don't go outta my way to get organic, usually get whatever is cheapest. Occasionally organic is very competitive an the big chains.

0Angel0 is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by lmoya83 View Post
    Thanks everyone for your feedback I am going to stick with conventional!

Thanks guys!
    If you eat conventional meat go with the lean cuts and buy quality fats to add to it. Grass fed butter, pastured pork lard, grass fed beef tallow, etc. Those are relatively inexpensive and you can buy them online easily if you can't find them local. I do think if you do some prioritizing you'll find it can be done. At least buying some occasionally to support naturally raised meat product. Speaking with your wallet, if you will, as often as you can would be a good thing. For me the nutritional difference vs price difference is the hardest sell. I'm more than willing to pay the higher price to avoid supporting the suffering of the animals in the factory farming industry though. Just do what you can, that's the most important thing.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234