Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Non organic... page 3

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I guess you live on an unlimited food budget. I don't pay $6 a pound for chicken.

You said to buy everything organic and only buy 1/3 the meat. Organic produce costs twice as much here, hence purchase less than half as much food. Perhaps your arithmetic works different from normal arithmetic.

2ndChance is offline Senior Member
    It's important to avoid farmed fish, though... not sure if that's what the Chinese grocers sell but my bet is that it is... I know this thread is about justifying not eating organic, but the truth is, quality food costs more :/ As my nutrition professor said, though, it's "pay now or pay later" for meds... (especially true when you consider things like this-- Health Risks Associated with Consuming Farm-Raised Salmon)

Edit-- eKatherine, I am definitely not on an unlimited budget... I don't know what your situation is, for all I know you're trying to feed a family of 10, but if you sit down and plan out your food purchases you might be able to find a way to revamp your spending/eating to incorporate organic meats. I'm not trying to be condescending, I've just read so much about nutrition that I can't eat certain things anymore because of what I know about them.
    Last edited by 2ndChance; 03-24-2013 at 04:48 PM.

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Well...my grocer is 99 Ranch, which I think is pretty respectable. They label which fishes are wild-caught and which are farmed. I usually buy the wild-caught ones from Canada. Not sure if there are any problems there.

Most of the time I can find something wild-caught for as little as $3/lb.

Quote Originally Posted by sakura_girl View Post
    Well...my grocer is 99 Ranch, which I think is pretty respectable. They label which fishes are wild-caught and which are farmed. I usually buy the wild-caught ones from Canada. Not sure if there are any problems there.

Most of the time I can find something wild-caught for as little as $3/lb.
    That's good to hear that they label, and that's a seriously good deal considering my local health food store charges something like 14$ a lb. for wild salmon...

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Haha, sometimes the marketing markups get ridiculous...

Future_PB_Dr is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    At least I have a grasp of reality, instead of going to a paleo forum and telling people who don't need to lose weight that they should go on a starvation diet.

Truth. You can't handle it.
    I have no bias here, but I will come to 2ndchances defense. Katherine, it is coming off that you don't quite grasp 2ndchances original piece of advice, and are attacking them for it. 2ndchance simply suggested less organic meat, not less calories/protein.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    2ndChance's original advice is to cut meat down to a third, because we don't need as much protein as we are eating, then make up the difference by buying all organic vegetables instead of the regular ones. That would either more than double my food budget or cut the volume of food purchased to less than half.

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    2ndChance's original advice is to cut meat down to a third, because we don't need as much protein as we are eating, then make up the difference by buying all organic vegetables instead of the regular ones. That would either more than double my food budget or cut the volume of food purchased to less than half.
    The difference between organic and non-organic meat is huge. It's pretty big when it comes to veggies/fruits, too, but SERIOUSLY huge when it comes to meat. I'm sure you could find a way to revamp your spending/eating to eat organic meat instead of meat from animals who were treated like dirt and fed things you wouldn't let anywhere near you or your family's plate.

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Some of our beef is 100% grass fed. Some is not. ALL of it is pastured and ethically raised on family farms. ALL of it is antibiotic and hormone free. You have to do the best you can with the budget and resources at your disposal.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Wildrose is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I would suggest making sure you get good fish, like tinned salmon and sardines. Lots of omega-3's there to counteract the omega-6's in the factory meat. If you can't afford grass fed, you can't afford it. Although I would like to point out that grass fed beef doesn't have to be organic.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast