Thread: Kombucha vs. Water Kefir page

DinoHunter is online now Senior Member

Kombucha vs. Water Kefir

Shop Now
    I want to start making my own but cant decide between making the Kombucha or making Water Kefir.

Can anyone tell me how they differ Taste & nutritionally? Which is better as a pro-biotic?
    Im going to be going for surgery in a few months and will be wanting to re-flora/repair my gut after the **** load of antibiotics and stuff im sure ill be given.
    I figure something like this would be better overall than taking pro-biotic tablets. plus I can continue to make it long term.

Ive had Kombucha (yum) before but not the water kefir.
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Cierra View Post
    I didn't know you could make kefir out of water!
    Yup, Look for Water kefir grains, there clear/crystalline looking.

Quote Originally Posted by Cierra View Post
    I haven't been able to find the specific mushroom in order to make kombucha for myself,
    You want to look for a Scoby or kombucha scoby.
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

Liquid is offline Junior Member
    Hello DinoHunter, did you end up experimenting with making any or both of water kefir and kombucha? I'm also in the same boat right now deciding which one to start making myself. I was pretty close to investing in a continuous brewing system for kombucha but then started reading on water kefir being more diverse in probiotic species, and it seems cheaper to make.

Paysan is offline Senior Member
    And don't ignore resistant starch, as found in green bananas and cold cooked potatoes.Tatertot found after a mono diet during the potato hack, that his gut diversity actually improved, as shown by lab tests. Potatoes are easy come by as well.;-)

I went with the Kombucha.
    Havent been doing it for a while though & just got back to it a few weeks ago so still brewing the first proper batch for a while. (takes about 2 weeks here due to cold kitchen)
    I double ferment so the second (usally with berrys or ginger) ferment makes a lovely fizzy drink.

Im now looking at adding Ginger beer to my Brewing corner

Paleo Princess is offline Junior Member
    I am not sure which is better. I do buy ginger kombucha at the health food store. If you are going in for surgery I would start taking probiotics now. Then after you are finished with the antibiotics start taking 35 million or higher of the probiotics.Make sure it is live culture (kept in the fridge.)

Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleo Princess View Post
    If you are going in for surgery I
    Original post was from 2 years ago....
    Last edited by DinoHunter; 08-23-2015 at 02:58 AM.