Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: beginner here....weird question page

beginner here....weird question

Primal Fuel
    Hi there,

Do you guys cut the fat of the bacon strip before cooking it? I read on the forum that if you buy grain fed meat, you need to cut the fat and stuff.....i can't get grass fed here because it's really more expensive and I'm a student...

thanks for your help.

j3nn is offline Senior Member
    That wouldn't leave very much bacon if you cut the fat off. O_O bac-un
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. - Samuel Adams

2ndChance is offline Senior Member
    I would personally advise you to eat half as much bacon but splurge on the grass-fed, or find a cheaper meat (beef, chicken). Or eat more eggs--organic eggs are only $4ish a dozen here. Animal products are only as healthy as the animal they came from. Grain-fed cows get e.coli, mistreated animals have high levels of stress leading to constant cortisol/adrenaline secretion which stores in their tissue, affects the immune system, etc. Of course, lots of people here don't think factory-farmed meat is bad for you. The decision is ultimately up to you.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Oh hell no. It's the best part. I wouldn't worry about it unless you're eating like 2 pounds of bacon a day. In which case, stop it.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Chanda is offline Member
    No, you don't cut the fat off the bacon. You can find uncured bacon at Walmart. They have two brands, Hormel and something else, that I can't remember the name of right now. It might not be from grass-fed hogs, but at least the nitrite level is lower. Don't sweat the small stuff, just do the best you can with what you can find and afford.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ndChance View Post
    I would personally advise you to eat half as much bacon but splurge on the grass-fed, or find a cheaper meat (beef, chicken). Or eat more eggs--organic eggs are only $4ish a dozen here. Animal products are only as healthy as the animal they came from. Grain-fed cows get e.coli, mistreated animals have high levels of stress leading to constant cortisol/adrenaline secretion which stores in their tissue, affects the immune system, etc. Of course, lots of people here don't think factory-farmed meat is bad for you. The decision is ultimately up to you.
    Pigs aren't ruminants dude. They'll starve on grass only diets.
    Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    Pigs aren't ruminants dude. They'll starve on grass only diets.
    Yeah, I wasn't sure about that. I used to buy Applegate Organic Bacon. Definitely way better than the low-quality cheap stuff.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primalcanadian View Post
    Hi there,

Do you guys cut the fat of the bacon strip before cooking it? I read on the forum that if you buy grain fed meat, you need to cut the fat and stuff.....i can't get grass fed here because it's really more expensive and I'm a student...

thanks for your help.
    LOL.... NOOOoooooo. Do not mutilate your bacon! Forget the worries about eating grain fed.... that pales in comparison to reprimands for trying to create reduced fat bacon.

Organic grain fed > bacon that doesn't say what the pigs were fed (because it was gummy worms and sprinkles)

for the grain fed, i thought about chicken...and it's almost the double price here if I find grass fed..

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast