Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: beginner here....weird question page 3

Drumroll is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaHorse View Post
    Grass fed chicken? Can't be, chickens naturally eat insects, worms, etc, not grass. Geese eat grass.
    Chickens will nibble at the grass in small amounts. Admittedly, this is not grass-fed in the sense that cows or sheep would be, but they DO eat it.

The better term here, for both pigs and chickens (and the eggs from the chickens) raised in the field is "pastured" however.

The Rebooted Body is offline Senior Member
    Pigs don't eat only grass, so it's pretty hard to find a grass fed pig.

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Rebooted Body View Post
    Pigs don't eat only grass, so it's pretty hard to find a grass fed pig.
    I think people are confusing "grass fed" with "pastured". Pigs eat freakin' anything. So do chickens You just want pigs and chickens that live naturally and happily (in a pasture!) and aren't given antibiotics, hormones, or force fed only GMO soy and grains.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    And NO you do not trim the fat off the bacon. You cook it full fat, then collect every last drop of the rendered liquid fat, and use THAT too cook all your other meat and veggies.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Angieh is offline Senior Member
    Yes, it's much more accurate to say free range or pasture range than grass fed, which only really applies to beef. Free range chickens left to eat what they can scavenge eat mainly grubs, bugs, etc. Free range/pastured pigs forage (often in the woods, not in the pasture) wild nuts, fruits, etc. and sometimes are given fruits and vegetables as supplements from the farmer. Here's a link to a pretty typical pastured pig farm O'Brien's Family Farm - Pasture Raised Pork Free Range Pigs

As far as eating bacon and being primal/paleo goes, moderation is key. It's sort of become primal schtick to go hog wild (pardon the pun) on bacon, and bacon is showing up in everything from t-shirts to perfume these days. But someone who is truly knowledgable in primal/paleo way of eating will tell you to limit bacon. I eat it once a month or every 6 weeks or so. In fact, I cooked some today and will eat it mixed with my brussel sprouts and grassfed burger bowl for lunch tomorrow. But you really should not be eating a ton of bacon anyway. Eggs, beef, fish, chicken are the best way to go. I eat tons of venison as well because I have a free source (dad and brother hunt), so if you have access to that, go for it. Eat the bacon in moderation, and you'll be fine.

Here's what Melissa and Dallas from Whole9 have to say about bacon: The Bacon Manifesto | Whole9 | Let us change your life.

And here is a good source for your occasional bacon splurge (also from Melissa and Dallas): Whole30 Approved Bacon is Here | Whole9 | Let us change your life.

Drumroll is online now Senior Member
    "Free range" as used in the US is also fairly inaccurate. For example, the USDA allows for the use of the term even when the "range" that is offered to the animals is no bigger than the animal itself and the practices used in raising the animal do not encourage the animal to ever utilize said "range" in any way, even discourage it in several cases. I hate how misleading that makes it, but that's the USDA for ya.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ndChance View Post
    I would personally advise you to eat half as much bacon but splurge on the grass-fed, or find a cheaper meat (beef, chicken). Or eat more eggs--organic eggs are only $4ish a dozen here. Animal products are only as healthy as the animal they came from. Grain-fed cows get e.coli, mistreated animals have high levels of stress leading to constant cortisol/adrenaline secretion which stores in their tissue, affects the immune system, etc. Of course, lots of people here don't think factory-farmed meat is bad for you. The decision is ultimately up to you.
    I think the cortisol/adrenaline in the tissue thing is a vegan propaganda myth, but on the whole, I agree with this post. Less bacon, but better bacon. I'm a huge proponent of meeting your meat.

patski is offline Senior Member
    primalcanadian,

Try and find the best quality bacon you can. I'm outside of Toronto, but I buy bacon from Willowgrove Hill Farms - Welcome

I can find it in a local grocery store, but fire off an email to them. They do ship, and it's some of the best bacon I've ever had!

If factory farmed meat is all you can afford, so be it. Eat fish when you can (tuna, salmon) but don't sweat it. I buy grass-fed when I can, but I also buy big roasts, and purchasing those grass-fed is NOT cheap! I buy mostly ground grass-fed beef/lamb, and osso bucco (cross-cut veal/beef shank) when I can. Cheap cut, you cook the snot out of it in a crock pot, and it's extremely delicious!

Eat eggs if you can tolerate them (I cannot, and I miss eggs!) and high-fat dairy again, if you can tolerate it.

"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good" are wise words to live by when going paleo!
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

sjmc is online now Senior Member
    Is Canadian bacon (as in, bacon in Canada) the same thing as what Americans call "Canadian bacon"? I guess it doesn't matter, because if yes then there's nothing to get rid of, and if no then there's nothing left. So I'm just curious, Canadians.

frenchie79 is offline Member
    there are plenty of farms around Quebec City. I lived there for 10 years.

Direct du producteur : adresses pour acheter biologique | Manger Paleo
    Fermes d'élevage | equiterre.org - Pour des choix écologiques, équitables et solidaires

you could also look for ads in kijiji, or google

Aliments de sante Laurier had meat last time I was there...
    5'7'' 130 lbs, primal since August 2011

My journal:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread78819.html

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast