Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: beginner here....weird question page 2

0Angel0 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    If you can't afford bacon from pastured pigs I would limit it but when you do eat it definitely don't get rid of the fat!

2ndChance is offline Senior Member
    Whole Foods sells organic (grain-fed, presumably) chicken really cheap. Trader Joe's is an option, too. Not sure what you have by you. Obviously the best option would be to find a local farm where you know exactly how the animal you're eating was treated/fed, but at least the organic seal guarantees that the animal didn't eat GMOs, gummy worms, ground meat, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndChance View Post
    Whole Foods sells organic (grain-fed, presumably) chicken really cheap. Trader Joe's is an option, too. Not sure what you have by you. Obviously the best option would be to find a local farm where you know exactly how the animal you're eating was treated/fed, but at least the organic seal guarantees that the animal didn't eat GMOs, gummy worms, ground meat, etc.
    thanks for the suggestions. I am in Québec city, Canada and we do not have whole foods and farms are far away. How much do you pay your chicken if you do not mind me asking.

Quote Originally Posted by primalcanadian View Post
    thanks for the suggestions. I am in Québec city, Canada and we do not have whole foods and farms are far away. How much do you pay your chicken if you do not mind me asking.
    I've been off animal products for the past couple months as an experiment (it is much cheaper and I don't feel any worse, better if anything). Whole Foods had 10 packs (I think it was 10) of organic chicken wings for like $3.00 US, not sure how much the whole organic chickens were, maybe $10?

I personally think you're better off eating no meat than low-quality meat, but that's just my opinion. I only eat organic and it's a lot easier and cheaper to get organic veggies, fruit, nuts than it is to get meat that meets my standards. If you live in a large metropolitan area I'm sure you can find somewhere that sells quality meat, just because there must be more demand for it than just you. Just keep poking around. Even my local grocery store sells organic eggs, so you can almost certainly find those, though.
    Last edited by 2ndChance; 03-24-2013 at 02:41 PM.

there was a study done by a tv program in my area about the organic label...and the conclusion is...not really more organic than normal food... weird, but I'll have a look around.

there was a study done by a tv program in my area about the organic label...and the conclusion is...not really more organic than normal food... weird, but I'll have a look around.
    Yeah, I have heard the USDA organic seal is pretty easy to get (not sure what the Canadian equivalent is) but there are a few other organic seals you can look for, off the top of my head Quality Assurance International, Oregon Tilth, etc.

The USDA seal has a lot of bureaucracy behind it ... so big farmers can get it and it doesn't require that high of standards, whereas smaller farms may be practicing just as healthy (or better practices) but not have the resources to apply for it and maintain the seal.

My vote is farmers markets where you can talk to the farmer about how things were raised. Or sometimes local farms have meat delivery!

OP, I Googled "grass fed meat Quebec" and found a few things, you could do the same, not sure if this helps--

Grass fed beef and natural lamb in Quebec

SeaHorse is offline Senior Member
    for the grain fed, i thought about chicken...and it's almost the double price here if I find grass fed..
    Grass fed chicken? Can't be, chickens naturally eat insects, worms, etc, not grass. Geese eat grass.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    You can limit the amount of fat you get from grain-fed bacon by simply limiting the amount of bacon you eat overall. No need to cut the fat off the bacon which leaves almost nothing anyway.

Bacon, even grass-fed shouldn't be the centerpiece of your diet to begin with. And this coming from a guy who could certifiably be called a bacon addict if he let himself go on it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast