Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: How do you all do on dairy? page 7

miniGrokette is offline Member

Cheese but not milk for me

I've never actually liked or craved milk. When I was a kid and ate cereal, I would put just enough milk to make the cereal wet. That being said, I LOVE all cheeses, butter, and sometimes a splash of heavy cream in my coffee. Even though I still eat cheese regularly (usually cottage cheese, brie, or mascarpone) if I drink milk my stomach really hurts and gets all gurgly. I can't explain it.

I've always wanted to try eliminating all dairy just to see what happens. Like another poster said, I don't think I would quit eating dairy altogether unless I found a really compelling reason. I would reduce my intake though.
    Last edited by miniGrokette; 07-17-2013 at 08:31 PM.

Silvergirl is offline Senior Member
    I did whole 30 also and found I couldn't have it again, but mainly it just showed me I always had a problem. My eczema cleared up and my constant sinus congestion. I had had it for so long I had never given it a second thought. After blood testing it showed I am almost off the charts allergic to dairy and casein.
    Starting Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, goal weight in November 2012.
    Now 95lbs and holding.
    Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

miniGrokette is offline Member
    Had you never had your blood tested before, or was this a result of eliminating dairy and then reintroducing it? I don't even know if that can happen, just curious.

Silvergirl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by miniGrokette View Post
    Had you never had your blood tested before, or was this a result of eliminating dairy and then reintroducing it? I don't even know if that can happen, just curious.
    No I had never had a food allergy test done. It was only after I had eliminated it that I saw symptoms I had since I was a child disappear. Around the same time I did the allergy test which totally confirmed the results.
    Starting Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, goal weight in November 2012.
    Now 95lbs and holding.
    Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I love all forms of dairy. But I am trying to get rid of ongoing inflammation. I recently read that one of the "functions" of milk is to keep the gut more permeable so that infants can absorb antibodies from mothers milk through the gut.

It seems like a stretch to me, since babies guts seal up around 6 months of age (I think) and many are still primarily taking milk at that time.

Anyone know if that is true?
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Bifcus is offline Senior Member
    Dairy made my Lymphocytic Colitis much worse, so I gave it up. Even 'may contain traces' was too much for me. Now I have got the colitis effectively cured, I find I have been able to experiment without being ill.

But I remain scared of being tied to the bathroom again, so I can't imagine it ever being more than a very occasional treat.

Mutton is offline Senior Member
    I seem to tolerate sheep and goats cheese and yoghurt very well, but not ordinary milk. Not even butter... I think I have a casein problem; I haven't been game to try A2 milk though. Partly because I'm not sure that I have any reason to. I would be more interested in cream I guess, if that could be found? Theres some discussion of casein on this forum if anyone is interested A2 or A1 beta casein; legitimate or marketing ploy? - PaleoHacks.com

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    I do better without it, but gosh I love good cheese. Once a week we get the grass-fed new zealand cheese from Trader Joe's and enjoy every amazing bite. I figure all the anti-inflammatory food and toxin avoidance makes up for it. Live in the country, have well water, I try to take it easy - so a little cheese just has to be invited sometimes, right?!

Dairy made my Lymphocytic Colitis much worse, so I gave it up. Even 'may contain traces' was too much for me. Now I have got the colitis effectively cured, I find I have been able to experiment without being ill.
    Darn you and your beacon of hope! My IBS still rears its head sometimes. Maybe it IS the dairy. *kicks a rock*

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    I have a histamine intolerance. But man, if I could go back to any authentic Swiss cheese and some good old sheep ricotta....

I also sneak a lot of samples at TJ's and WF's because the pieces are small and because, well darn it, cheese is delicious.

dkJames is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I personally do very fine on fermented dairy (yogurt, kefir, cheeses) and dairy fat (butter, heavy cream, etc) provided that it is raw milk based and pastured.

I do not so good on milk. Past one small glass, I have some bloating and become gassy. Some I am not very lactose tolerant. But I do not care at all about milk, I am a grown-up damn it!

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast