Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you all do on dairy? page 5

Lumifer is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I'm fully lactose-tolerant, but I rarely drink milk. I do make kefir, though, and drink it every other day. By the way, spiking kefir with heavy cream improves it considerably :-) I also periodically eat other dairy stuff (sour cream, yogurt, a variety of cheeses) and don't have any problems with them.

Fiveholts714 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 0Angel0 View Post
    I finished my first Whole30 a few days ago and last night I started reintroducing dairy. I had 1.5 cups of raw milk and 2T raw cream (OMG good!) but later I noticed some typical lactose intolerance symptoms esp nausea. It could have been from a crazy week, busy day, and poor sleep the night before though. Prior to the whole 30 I've never noticed any issues with dairy although I haven't had plain ol milk in ages.

I started with milk as it's been forever since I've had any and I wanted to see how I'd do. Milk I can take or leave but the raw cream was freakin amazing! I'm going to give the milk a few more tries just to see if I tolerate it well or not then move onto the types I'd include semi-regularly like yogurt and cheese. I think I'll stick to mostly raw from now on if all goes well since luckily here in So Cal it's pretty easy to get and far superior to pasturized, obviously.

I'm curious as to how well others do on dairy, how often you have it, and what kind?
    I'm certainly no expert, but nausea sounds like a terrible side effect. Maybe dairy isn't for you. I've heard some people can do aged cheese, just not fresh milk or cheese. I do fine with dairy. Good luck to you!

Rocco Hill is offline Senior Member
    I used to drink milk by the gallon - no longer.

Now I have a moderate amount of greek yoghurt. If I have too much I notice my sinuses feel weird.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    I never really drink milk- the occasional whole milk latte is about it. I switched from heavy cream to coconut in my coffee. Oddly, I prefer coconut milk? Random. I cook with butter all the time, and do use some cheese as a flavoring.

I eat a lot less dairy these days, and I don't really know why. I guess it is because I generally like it with something- cheese and crackers or cream and sugar in my coffee.

I feel like I do fine on it. I just haven't had an appetite for it lately.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

0Angel0 is offline Senior Member
    I love coconut milk and coconut cream just not in my coffee. Although I do like the occasional afternoon iced coffee with coconut milk and cinnamon in it. When it's hot I'd rather drink it black with a drop of liquid sucralose, just enough to take the edge off the blackness. I know I know! I just haven't read a single study that supports it being as bad as everyone makes it out to be, I hate all the stevia brands I've tried, and I consider it part of the 20%. I should try a tsp of xylitol/erythritol instead I suppose. Cream in my coffee is like a dessert to me now.

Cheese was the one thing I thought I was going to miss the most on a Whole30 but since I've finished I've had an oz and a half in eggs just to try out raw cheese and that's it. I'll probably still use it occasionally but not 2-3 times a week like before. The only dairy that upset my stomach was the raw milk I tried. As a whole I've always enjoyed all forms of dairy but it doesn't really appeal to me anymore. Weird how that happened!

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Why not just use sugar in your coffee? I hate any artificial sweetener. I use honey, maple syrup and sugar. I've also made creamer with dates and coconut milk.

I really hate the taste of artificial sweeteners.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    i never liked the mouthfeel of milk but perhaps a smaller serving might suit you better? is it possible there was "something" in that batch that got to you? raw milk is very hard to get here, so i don't know anybody who drinks it.

i do just fine now with grass-fed organic cream and cheese. discovering the local cream was a revelation -- i was always ambivalent about the supermarket stuff. i still only have it maybe once or twice per week, with fruit.

supermarket cheese made me binge -- badly. now i can go for weeks without eating any, and when i do it's a small serving. my b/f just confessed to tossing out some brie that had been lurking for months, lol.

i was off yogurt for awhile, but had some the other day as part of the uddd trial. i used to try it as a meal and that didn't work well, so now have it after i eat, with some cocoa and berries stirred in. killah good and a little goes a long way.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Sugar, even in small amounts, doesn't agree with me. It causes cravings. Plus I'm still trying to lose the last few pounds so I avoid it. I've been LCHF for about 14 months now and being in ketosis just feels right for my body. I too hate the taste of most artificial sweeteners. I like xylitol and erythritol in the occasional dessert but they're nasty in coffee. Otherwise, IMO, they're perfectly acceptable sweeteners for those who can't tolerate sugars. I hesitate to call them artificial as they're naturally found in a variety of plants. Extracting and concentrating them is unnatural but the same is done to maple syrup. Those are the only two sugar alcohols I'd use though.

Other than a drop of sucralose in my coffee I don't eat sweet tasting things on a daily basis anymore. I realize it's an artificial substance but in an otherwise totally Primal low carb diet for me it's fine.

Quote Originally Posted by noodletoy View Post
    i never liked the mouthfeel of milk but perhaps a smaller serving might suit you better? is it possible there was "something" in that batch that got to you? raw milk is very hard to get here, so i don't know anybody who drinks it.

i do just fine now with grass-fed organic cream and cheese. discovering the local cream was a revelation -- i was always ambivalent about the supermarket stuff. i still only have it maybe once or twice per week, with fruit.

supermarket cheese made me binge -- badly. now i can go for weeks without eating any, and when i do it's a small serving. my b/f just confessed to tossing out some brie that had been lurking for months, lol.

i was off yogurt for awhile, but had some the other day as part of the uddd trial. i used to try it as a meal and that didn't work well, so now have it after i eat, with some cocoa and berries stirred in. killah good and a little goes a long way.
    It could have been an off batch but it was from Organic Pastures which is apparently a pretty good dairy. You could be right though as I've never had a reaction like that to milk before, even the junky grocery store stuff. And any dairy I do from now on will be grass fed raw or at the very least minimally pasteurized like Kerrygold. I love yogurt but the only problem with that is I only like it sweetened. For that reason I limit it or use it as a sour cream sub. Berries and cream or coconut cream on the other hand are wonderful! No added sweetener needed.

Badkty22 is offline Senior Member
    Before I went primal and discovered the joy that is regular bowel movements, I had a period of time where I cut out dairy. Dr. Google told me that a dairy allergy (different than lactose intolerance somehow) can cause constipation. So I spent some time pouring almond milk over my high-fiber cereal every day, and spreading my "double-fiber"(!) bread with some weird non-dairy buttery spread...yeah, it wasn't a dairy allergy. Thank goodness, because I do enjoy dairy, including milk. I usually have milk, cheese, greek yogurt, sour cream, butter, and heavy cream on hand. I just watch my daily overall dairy intake, because it is easy for me to overeat, and dairy is very calorific. Is that a word? Spell check isn't yelling at me so I guess it is.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast