Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Severe plateau help page

primnewbie2011 is offline Junior Member

Severe plateau help

Shop Now
    Hi

I need primal some expert advice.

I have been primal for about 2 years. Before primal, I weighed 180lbs (5'11). Going paleo/primal, I went down to 170lbs in the first month. I still had weight to lose, but could never go any lower. Recently, I was traveling a lot and had to eAt out more than normal. I gained 5 lbs. the problem is, no matter how strict I am, I cannot lose this extra weight. Ive been trying fir 5 months. If I cut out all fruit , grains, legumes I can slowly creep down to 173. Whenever my weight it gets to around 173, it always then Jumps back to 175. So basically now my weight is between 173-177. If I eat out and still avoid sugars, breads and stay moderately paleo, I will balloon to 177. Is this related to high sodium content in restaurant food? In my lighter days I would make 'primal desserts', but recently stopped those as well. I do drink lots of coffee with trivia - my only indulgence.

I haven't tried IF seriously yet, so that might be next. Any ideas or tips to explore

skline2 is offline Senior Member
    I was having problems going below 182 recently (at 5'9") even though several years ago I was 170 on primal. This time on primal my one big difference was coffee. I never drank it when I was at 170. So, for the last couple of weeks I have cut back on coffee to two or 3 days a week instead of 7. The weight has started falling off. I've noticed that for me I'm not as hungry when not drinking coffee which has allowed me to get back to IFing. Coffee was really seemed to make me hungry by lunch time.

Annlee is offline Senior Member
    I'd drop the sweetener. Even if it has no calories (wonderful theory), if it triggers an insulin response your fst cells won't release their stores. Insulin's major function is to manage enrgy sources ~ and that includes entry into/exit from storage.

Great advice, thanks for your comments.

So I can drop the truvia and cut back on the coffee and see what happens. Although, I switched to truvia from splenda because i thought stevia was a little more primal ...

Does anyone have an opinion of tea (indian style) versus coffee? or should back on both?

The only other difference in my actions from a year ago is that I tend to walk less given the nature of my job. before i had to walk 1 mile a day to and from a train, and now i do not need to. I compensated for this by eating a little less, but this seems to not have worked!

2ndChance is offline Senior Member
    I agree with dropping the stevia. Restaurant food is SO much different than food prepared at home. It's designed to be as cheap as possible for the restaurant, designed to taste good and make you want to eat more, you really don't know what's in it--could be anything, "natural flavors," lots of synthetic ingredients, cooked in GMO soybean oil... of course, sometimes eating out is unavoidable, but when you can, you should cook your own food--that's the only way to know exactly how it was prepared and what's in it. Another thing, worrying about a couple pounds is silly. Grok never once stepped on a scale, never based his happiness on the number that said how much he weighed. The important thing is to accept yourself the way you are. Sure, it would be nice if you could reach your "goal weight" but remember, in the grand scheme, being healthy is far more important than being thin. Could be that your body is just more comfortable at 175, but then again, restaurant food could definitely be contributing to the weight gain--with no ingredient list, there could be ANYTHING in it. Remember restaurants have a profit motive. Their goal is to get you to spend more money, and there are lots of ingredients that can spur increased hunger (artificial sweeteners, MSG, etc) and the restaurants would benefit from including them, so they probably DO include them. Prepare your own food whenever possible, make restaurant-eating something you only do when you absolutely have to, and you will be better off.

Edit--Just saw your most recent post. I love tea. I haven't had coffee since maybe December, green tea with lemon in the morning is all I need.
    Last edited by 2ndChance; 03-24-2013 at 06:18 PM.

The Rebooted Body is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primnewbie2011 View Post
    Hi

I need primal some expert advice.

I have been primal for about 2 years. Before primal, I weighed 180lbs (5'11). Going paleo/primal, I went down to 170lbs in the first month. I still had weight to lose, but could never go any lower. Recently, I was traveling a lot and had to eAt out more than normal. I gained 5 lbs. the problem is, no matter how strict I am, I cannot lose this extra weight. Ive been trying fir 5 months. If I cut out all fruit , grains, legumes I can slowly creep down to 173. Whenever my weight it gets to around 173, it always then Jumps back to 175. So basically now my weight is between 173-177. If I eat out and still avoid sugars, breads and stay moderately paleo, I will balloon to 177. Is this related to high sodium content in restaurant food? In my lighter days I would make 'primal desserts', but recently stopped those as well. I do drink lots of coffee with trivia - my only indulgence.

I haven't tried IF seriously yet, so that might be next. Any ideas or tips to explore
    What is your goal weight or what do you think you should be able to get down to?

My other question would be: what are you doing for activity? Are you walking a lot? Sprinting? Lifting?

Truvia, by the way, is not Stevia.

Hi

Weight goal is 170lbs. I was there about 7 months ago. Even at 170 I'm not ripped by any stretch, but feel very good.

I admit my activity is not super high. I play racket ball 1x per week, do one 2mile run at most. I used to do a session of p90x on top of that once per week, but have slacked recently. Do you think that's enough? In the summer I plan to pick it up more.

How much sleep (in a pitch black room) do you get per night?

Not that much - it varies between 6.5 and 7.5 hrs a nite.

Quote Originally Posted by primnewbie2011 View Post
    Not that much - it varies between 6.5 and 7.5 hrs a nite.
    You need between 8 and 9, in total darkness. If you're not getting that, you can't complain about a little belly fat. Especially if your awake time is stressful at all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast