Thread: New & need help! page

.jerico. is offline Junior Member

New & need help!

Primal Fuel
    Hello,
    I started eating primal/LC back in May of 2012. I included some beans and potatoes as I was breastfeeding and didn't want to dip too low in carbs. I also needed time to adjust to the new way of eating. Giving up sugar was hard and its still a struggle.

After losing ~15 pounds or so, I essentially weigh the same as I did last October. Anytime I saught advice most people said not to worry about it as I was still nursing. Well, I am no longer nursing but still am not losing weight. Here is where I need help... in 2 ways.

I am visiting the doctor soon since I haven't had a check up in a long time (and also have a lump on my back that needs to be checked out). But are there any questions I should ask or any blood tests to be done to determine if there could be something affecting my weight loss?

And, what else could be preventing me from losing weight? (Sleep is most likely a culprit but I need to start losing weight!) I have 25 pounds of pregnancy weight to lose and while I can hide in the winter, I can't in the summer. I need to get back into my clothes!

I'm 5'4'' and weigh 175. Prepregnancy weight was 150, which is a decent weight for me.
    Last edited by .jerico.; 03-24-2013 at 12:57 PM.

Annieh is online now Senior Member
    Hi Jerico. You certainly have your hands full with a busy lifestyle and likely broken sleep.

To get the full benefits of primal though it's best if you follow the diet close to 95/100% (ie no sugar, grains processed seed oils and other packaged products - just real foods like meat eggs veges some fruit nuts and dairy) and also include exercise such as weights, walking and the occasional hardout sprint.

This takes some planning and effort which is easier said than done when one is already busy and tired, but if you can pull it off you will have more energy and focus to apply to your parenting and homeschooling so it will be worth it. Good Luck.

.jerico. is offline Junior Member
    Thank you!
    I have started running/walking some and lifting some weights a few time per week.

I was eating things like: eggs and butter for breakfast with coffee, cream, and a little bit of sweetener (my reason for getting up, mind you). a salad with tuna and greek or italian dressing for lunch, chicken or meat and veggies with butter for dinner. I had cut out nuts to try to lose some weight and I will add those in as I'm not sure they were a staller for me.

I do feel pretty decent eating this way but not amazing (not sure that's possible in my season of life :P) Baby is still hit or miss on sleeping but has improved the last few weeks.

happymomma is offline Junior Member

baby weight

I'm new to this site and primal living but I just wanted to comment on the weight loss after breastfeeding. Even though your baby is no longer nursing your body will continue to be on the ready to provide milk in case of sickness or famine. This can cause very small hormonal fluctuations that help your body to hold onto fat stores that it thinks it might need. The time that this lasts is different for all women. From what I've read the best way to combat this is a primal/paleo diet, heavy weight lifting/interval training, and keeping your fat and calorie counts a high.

So that's part of what led me to this site! Good luck!

Hedonist2 is offline Senior Member
    Exercise: If you are actively parenting a baby, you are getting a lot of the exercise that your grandmothers have gotten for millions of years. Don't get talked into a hardcore exercise program. Mark had a recent post about this, which I can't find, but here are my thoughts. Adequate sleep and rest are probably more important than exercise, and probably hard to get.

Experiment with your diet. Find what works for you. That might be strict primal, or it might not.
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedonist2 View Post
    Exercise: If you are actively parenting a baby, you are getting a lot of the exercise that your grandmothers have gotten for millions of years. Don't get talked into a hardcore exercise program. Mark had a recent post about this, which I can't find, but here are my thoughts. Adequate sleep and rest are probably more important than exercise, and probably hard to get.

Experiment with your diet. Find what works for you. That might be strict primal, or it might not.
    I have to agree. Everything else will be an uphill battle if you are overtired and overstressed. Easier said than done, I know.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes