Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: But I don't like vegetables..... page

melcaste is offline Junior Member

Unhappy But I don't like vegetables.....

Shop Now
    Hello!
    I am a new PBer and so far things are pretty smooth sailing, with one problem, I don't like many veggies. I like broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, raw mushrooms, peas, carrots and potatoes, sometimes aspargus. I have a problem with what I call "squishy foods," and most veggies once cooked are squishy. Not to mentoin the fact that some of them just taste awful.
    Does anyone have any ideas about how to prepare or "hide" some vegetables to make them bearable? Any tricks to liking them more? Any suggestions on maybe sweeter or better tasting veggies that I may have never tried? I would like to include more of them in my diet, which now mostly consists of meat, friuts and nuts with a bit of dairy. Basically everything but the veggies! I get them in every once in a while, but I know there is more and better out there!
    Please help! I'll take any ideas or suggestions!

Thanks!
    Mel

tooround is offline Senior Member
    I just plain prefer my vegetables raw. Eat up the things you like and experiment with new things once in a while. Almost anything tastes good sauteed in butter Do you like garlic?

I have a friend who spins spinach into her breakfast shake, she says you can't taste it.

Fatkid is offline Senior Member
    I eat 99% of my veggies raw... the only exception being occasionally sauteing with some meat...but even then it's more for the flavor transfer than to cook the veggie (i.e. peppers with meat)... ... ... personally as I find the longer I have been primal the more my tastes change, as such I just make it a point to every so often try a veggie that I 'didn't like' as a kid... or have never heard of before... sometimes I'm surprised...sometimes not so much

ZoŽ is offline Senior Member
    After you've been primal for a few weeks and you eat veggies that are cooked right and smothered in animal fat (bacon fat is the best!) I bet you will start to enjoy them considerably more.

Jokaman70 is offline Senior Member
    You're anti-vegetable-ness pales in comparison to mine. The only vege's I like are potatoes, corn, peas, carrots, pickles (vege?), and green beans (vege?). I can do tomatoes but only if they're in a sauce. Everything else, everything, I loath.

Which leaves what? Carrots. And even those are one of the more "sugary" vege's. Oh, and I like most fruits. Go figure seeing as how we're only encouraged to eat those in strict moderation. For me to stay healthy it looks like my diet's going to be very, very boring.
    I began this Primal journey on December 30th, 2009 and in that time I've lost over 125 LBS.

free3337 is offline Member
    i'd firstly recommend just getting over it :|

there's some veggie recipes here, and elsewhere of course, that might meet your interest. http://www.scdrecipe.com/recipes/

for example,
    Pumpkin brownies
    ĺ cup mashed pumpkin or other squash, canned or steamed
    1 cup almond butter
    1 egg
    1/3 cup honey
    1 tsp baking soda
    Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Mix well. Pour into a greased 8 x 8 in pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Can add spices, chopped nuts, cocoa? etc..

the above tasted like light soft brownies to me.

just eat some prepared veggies and focus on all the good tasting parts about it. force yourself to find some niceness to it then focus on that to the exclusion of all the negatives. do that long enough, often enough, and i think you'll just come to associate veggies with pleasantness.

also perhaps consider gorging more offal to compensate for lack of veggies.

Griff is offline Senior Member
    As you detox from carbs, you will find that your tastes change. Veggies will begin to taste good over time.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

strom is offline Senior Member
    what are good animal fat (preferably shmaltz) recipes for vegetables?

Jokaman70 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by free3337 View Post
    i'd firstly recommend just getting over it :|

just eat some prepared veggies and focus on all the good tasting parts about it. force yourself to find some niceness to it then focus on that to the exclusion of all the negatives. do that long enough, often enough, and i think you'll just come to associate veggies with pleasantness.

also perhaps consider gorging more offal to compensate for lack of veggies.
    That's MUCH easier said than done. Seriously, if I bite into something and discover that there's an onion in it, it takes every bit of me to stop myself from throwing up on the spot. The same goes for almost every other vege I've tried. It ain't easy, at 29 years old, to try new things.

And as for offal...well, that's another story. I've never tried it before. I think I tried liver once as a child and I remember hating it.
    I began this Primal journey on December 30th, 2009 and in that time I've lost over 125 LBS.

cheapo is offline Senior Member
    My wife reacts to onions the way you do. She says she's allergic, but I'd say she's more intolerant than allergic FWIW. She finds the taste DISGUSTING and if she eats some (due to being unable to detect the taste in a particular item), she will still suffer with gas and digestive discomfort. So there's that.

As far as other veggies go: if they're mushy, they're overcooked. Some people like 'em mushy. You obviously do not, so there's no reason to prepare them that way.

Stir frys, esp. with meat in the same pan, are a good way to get some flavour into veggies and stir frying makes it easy to avoid overcooking. Garlic, a dash of sesame oil for flavour, fish sauce and whatever other spices you fancy will make a tasty, quick meal. Try cutting the veggies in different ways. For instance I much prefer julienned carrots to slices. Done right, the whole stir fry can have a nice "meaty" consistency.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast