Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Macadamia Cacao Nib Crunchies page

TanyaV is offline Senior Member

Macadamia Cacao Nib Crunchies

Primal Fuel
    I came up with this recipe last year and it continues to be a favorite in our house. You can use any nut or combination of nuts that you like really, but macs are the best! This can be eaten as a snack in bar form or you can break it up, add milk of choice and enjoy like a cereal.

Paleo Macadamia Cacao Nib Crunchies | FEED THE CLAN

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    These look tasty. Where do you buy your macadamia nuts? I haven't found an affordable source. I'll probably make the recipe with walnuts since we still have some we collected in the fall.

I get my raw macadamia nuts from either Winco or Organic Roots Market (formerly Sprouts Natural Market) in their bulk sections for around $11/lb. Not sure if you have either of those up North? Cashews make a very affordable substitute and they aren't too terrible in their O6 levels. I can get the raw cashew pieces for $3/lb at Winco!

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    Thanks Tanya, sounds like you have much more affordable options than we have in our small town. I'll have to stick with the walnuts we foraged.

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Aw I thought it looked promising until the "1 cup almond meal" and the baking at 325 degrees

Do you have a viable substitute?

Yeah, I've never been sure about the health issues after heating almond meal. Mark's post here - The Many Uses of Almond Meal | Mark's Daily Apple didn't make it seem as though heating it is much of an issue. It is one of his older posts (2008 I think) so it might be older data.

I've made them like this before if you want to give them a try. They were really good as well:

3 cups of crushed raw Macadamia nuts
    1/2 cup of raw cacao nibs
    1/2 cup of chia seeds
    1 cup of unsweetened shredded coconut
    1 cup of shelled hemp seeds
    2 TBSP ground cinnamon
    1/2 cup of melted extra virgin coconut oil
    1/4 cup of raw honey
    2 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat your oven to 325 degrees F. Mix together your dry ingredients in a large bowl. Add in the wet ingredients until thoroughly combined. Spread the mixture evenly over a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake for approximately 15-20 minutes so it’s nice and browned. Let cool on the counter for about 20 minutes, then move to the fridge for another 30 minutes or so. Store in the fridge in an airtight container.
    Last edited by TanyaV; 03-24-2013 at 06:14 PM.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    You formed them into large pieces a person could pick up and nibble off. Now that I've seen the photo I'll have to make them.

Ally415 is offline Senior Member
    sakura girl are you worried about the heat? You could just not bake them. The texture might be soft though.
    what do you think TanyaV?

These look really good thanks for sharing I'm a huge macadamia fan
    My Health and Nutrition Blog
    @ VIBRANTE
    http://viibrante.wordpress.com/

You could definitely try just not baking them. Just spread evenly in the pan and stick it in the fridge. In fact, if I try that soon with some cashews that I have I'll let you know. You won't get the yummy toasted nut flavor, but I'm sure it will still be good.

Another tip: If you use a really thick honey, you should melt it a bit by placing the container in a warm bowl of water. It will help with the mixing

patski is offline Senior Member
    I wonder if you baked them at a lower temp but for longer?

Three cups of mac nuts – WOW! I'm Canadian, so as usual we get screwed on uh, everything.

But healthcare.
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast