Thread: Hi everybody I have an estrogen question page

SledDog is offline Junior Member

Hi everybody I have an estrogen question

Shop Now
    My wife and I are new to PB. I just read Marks book, then one by Gary Taubes, "Why We Get Fat and What to do about it". Both are very congruis. In the Taubes book he references an experiment where female rats were spayed, removing estrogen from their system. The results were very fat rats from the lack of estrogen. My wife is in her third year away from breast cancer. (Cat scans show a refreshing lack of cats so far) According to current thought, breast cancer is most likely to occur in people that are 1, overweight, 2 smoke, and 3 take estrogen (Hormone Replacement Therapy). She did all three. One of the treatments is to feed her a prescription that suppresses all estrogen. We are both early '60's.

So the question we have is; is PB going to be effective in weight loss for her given her lack of estrogen?

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Congrats to you wife and her successful triumph over cancer!

I can't comment on the effects of or on estrogen, except to link to this article at Paleo for Women.

What I will contribute though, is that weight loss as a side effect of optimal eating and optimal health, is more desirable than weight loss for its own sake and with no regard for optimal nutrition and lifestyle. So transitioning to a diet of high quality whole foods, and a lifestyle of good sleep, good movement, good fun, lower toxins and lower stress can ONLY be beneficial. Maybe the desired weight loss will happen, maybe it won't. But there's no harm in trying!
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

nburgraff is offline Member
    Do you know what kind of perscription it is? The reason I ask is because estrogen is synthesized from cholesterol, which is converted into pregnenalone, then DHEA, then Androstenedione, Then eventually to estrogen in the ovaries in the presence of aromatase, so depending on which part of the cycle is being inhibited could have different effects.

sorry for the hormonal talk, but i figured that it would make more sense if i explained the process a little. Congrats on clearing the breast cancer!!!! That is amazing

SledDog is offline Junior Member
    Everyone, Thanks for the response. Mark, the prescription is Anastrozole, a generic forArimidex. The article I referenced that prompted my question talked about female rats that were surgically spayed. The results were no estrogen levels in the rats which as a result got really obese except on a near starvation regimine. Everything they ate was directed into fat cells rather that directed into energy because of the lack of estrogen. Gary Taube references 'partitioning' of the fat cells we eat and with the rats lack of estrogen, it was all partitioned into fat storage for some reason.

I agree 100% with you Sandra about lifestyle vs diet. There is a local crossfit gym that specialized in type of exercise regemines Mark espouses along with a local practitioner (Chiropractor) who has lived the PB life for some time who will be talking about the eating part of the program. He uses Marks book as a text.

So we are convinced about the worth of the PB philosophy, but are still confused about the post menepausal and prescription based absence of estrogen.