Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on this Gary Taubes answer.. page

FrankOcean is offline Senior Member

Thoughts on this Gary Taubes answer..

So I was reading a Q&A with Gary Taubes and someone ask the following:

"I have been living on a low carb diet since being diagnosed with T2 diabetes 6 years ago. I have lost over 160 lbs and have the disease in very tight control with a usual A1c at 5% or close to it. I am still 30 lbs overweight at 5 ft tall & cannot lose any more no matter how low I cut carbs. I see no way around counting calories to lose these last pounds but my calorie needs are so low that I am intensly hungry all the time which is defeating me. What do you suggest"

Gary's answer.

"All I can do here is speculate, as I have no clinical experience treating people with carbohydrate-restricted diets, I'm just an investigative reporter with a somewhat obsessive interest in the subject. That said, between 1956 and 1972, the British physician Robert Kemp prescribed carbohydrate-restricted diets to almost 1,500 patients. He concluded that a small proportion, particularly the most obese and those who had been obese the longest, often failed to lose weight on the diets even though they faithfully followed them. It is possible that if you were heavy for a long time, your fat tissue has accumulated chronic damage and so you're just stuck with those 30 pounds, and little or nothing you can do will change that."

"Another possibility -- and this is really speculation, because as I've said I'm not a doctor -- is that the diet actually works best when it is a high calorie diet with a lot of fat. The idea is that we consciously or subconsciously try to restrict calories on the diet and so our body still thinks it's in starvation mode, even with the absence of carbohydrates, and holds on to the fat. I have no idea if this is the case -- it's the kind of thing that, in an ideal world, would be studied by obesity researchers."

Thoughts? because the idea of holding extra fat sounds depressing to me.

cheapo is offline Senior Member
    Sorry, this is a tangent, but "Starvation mode"?
    I read GCBC and Taubes debunks the "thrifty gene" hypothesis. Isn't the idea of a starvation mode dependent on the thrifty gene hypothesis?
    Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Suki is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cheapo View Post
    I read GCBC and Taubes debunks the "thrifty gene" hypothesis. Isn't the idea of a starvation mode dependent on the thrifty gene hypothesis?
    The person who PROPOSED the thrifty gene hypothesis (Neel) debunked the the thrifty gene hypothesis...

Quote Originally Posted by cheapo View Post
    I was wondering the same thing,that's why Im asking ...but it seems that if this is the case, the cheat day lingo or refill, makes sense..if not, im screwed with unwanted fat for the rest of my life, no matter what I do.

tooround is offline Senior Member
    My take is not very scientific (I'm not a doc either) but ... if you were stranded on a desert island with nothing to eat, you'd lose that fat! So there has to be some way ...

Thyroid? other hormonal imbalances? There's got to be something else afoot here.
    Last edited by tooround; 05-04-2010 at 02:35 PM. Reason: and I can't type either

Suki is offline Senior Member
    There's no info as to sex / age / exercise so all I can do here is speculate but I think it has more to do with genetics and where we store fat. If you're a woman storing fat in your butt and hips, it's going to be incredibly difficult to get off those last few lbs (if you had more than a few lbs to lose in the first place, those last few lbs might be somewhere closer to 30). Sparse blood vessels in the butt / hip / thigh area prevent proper circulation in the region making it very difficult to mobilize that fat. I'd speculate that you need to put on more muscle before that fat is going to go anywhere.

If diet is responsible for 80% of weight loss, it's possible that those remaining 30 lbs fall into the 20% that is remedied by exercise or not remedied at all.

EGYnutrition is offline Senior Member
    I think he was trying to non-scientifically refer to leptin resistance. Which can be reversed.

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

ZoŽ is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EGYnutrition View Post
    I think he was trying to non-scientifically refer to leptin resistance. Which can be reversed.
    But we DON"T know that leptin resistance can be reversed... we can only speculate that avoiding neolithic agents of disease helps.

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    There's a lot of stuff out there about "stubborn fat," you should look into it. I am in the same boat as you, but only ~5 pounds left to lose. No diet in the world (zero carb + caloric deficit + IF) seems to fix it.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Ever try the opposite?..Like Gary speculate's at the end of the answer?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast