Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Taking Control page 2

eggsforalice is offline Member
    Shop Now

DAY 13

Unlucky 13.

Just kidding. I actually have a bit of a soft spot for number 13, it has such a bad rep it doesn't deserve.

I've continued my 30 day primal journey today, with a much larger calorie intake - but still sticking well and truly to my principles.

Meals:
    B- 2 fried eggs and 1 slice middle bacon
    S- handful pecans
    L- 2 lamb chops, 1/2 avocado, a few mushies
    S- protein shake made with 1 scoop whey protein isolate, 1/2 cup mixed berries, water and ice.
    S- around 4ish i started munching on pistachios, and was not able to stop! successfully devoured at least 1/2 a large family packet before dinner :{( (that's a moustache.) oh well. it could be worse.
    D- roast pork with apple sauce (no sugar added), sweet potatoes, onion, pumpkin and broccoli.

I let myself go today with the calories, but I kind of feel I needed it. I was very low in energy this arvo and really craving food. I'll be back to the 1200 mark tomorrow. As I've mentioned before, I think it's good for your metabolism and body to mix up the intake each day, and not be too strict on yourself 24/7. This is a lifestyle, it's not meant to feel like your denying yourself anything your mind and body is crying out for.

Otherwise I've been in a happy mood all day Only one day of holiday left!

- A

I tried to write this last night, but my internet disconnected before I could post it:

I started thinking tonight, how I would have acted, had I consumed this amount of calories say five years ago. I probably wouldn't have let myself do it, to begin with. I was one for the starvation method to maintain a very low body weight for my mesomorphic body type. I spent about 2 years with anorexia nervosa. I lost my period, had abnormal hair growth in some areas, while was shedding hair from my head. I had very low energy levels constantly, and actually invited the light-headed, dizzy feeling that came with very low blood sugar levels. I was in my last two years of high school at the time, and so would sit in class, unable to focus, and drinking copious amounts of water. This meant i visited to the bathroom very often during class (i did it for the exercise as well). I'd look at myself in the mirror and critique every aspect. A typical day would involve: a morning run (if I had the energy), followed by breakfast of maybe a tablespoon of fruit free, gluten free muesli, with a bit of yoghurt and some blueberries. Lunch was generally a small portion of sliced ham (the really thin packaged stuff) and a bit of salad, maybe a slice of cheese if I was feeling 'naughty'. School took up most of the day, which was very good, as it distracted me from my constant hunger pains. I usually had some sort of school sport training in the afternoon which would go for a couple of hours. Following that I might go for a run (if i hadn't been in the morning). The run was usually about 4-5km. Dinner was a very small serving of whatever meat the dining hall was serving up for us boarders, and some salad. I'd always leave something on my plate (just to show I had the willpower...) I'd judge others for what they ate in my head, telling myself they're fat, and they've got no willpower. Or if they were skinny, I'd be super jealous they could eat that much without gaining a kilo. My life revolved around this self-absorbed longing to be "perfect".

How ridiculous!

I think it's very normal to want to look good. For me, like for most who are not blessed with brilliant genes, or have not been a little overweight in the past (for me it was a year or so at around 15, when my body stopped growing taller, but I kept eating as much as I was + I put on about 5 kilos when I had glandular fever and ate and slept for about a month) it's a bit of a battle to maintain a constant lower BMI.

For now, I'll keep trying to lose my bulky upper arms and the excess fat that I seem to accumulate pretty evenly all over (a pain, because I can NEVER hide it), but I'll never revert back to that psychological pit I was in before, where weight-loss was all consuming and my total value depended on it. No wonder I suffered major depression on and off following gaining weight during what were for me very stressful final exams (knowing I needed a pretty high final mark to get into medicine).

I'm probably in the best place psychologically I've been for a long time, although I have had bouts of depression (I was back on antidepressants end of last year for a few months) I'm generally pretty good these days.

Eating this way is and exercising is vital for me to avoid stress/depression triggers, or bang them on the head if they do come.

Hence, this challenge.

That's about all I feel like sharing for now

- A

Haha yes, very true..

I'm contemplating trying IF next week - I'll start tomorrow, as it will be a lot easier to do when I'm back at uni. I've done the skipping dinner thing before, which has worked very well to speed up my weight- loss in the past. I know that I need to be very careful about it though, perhaps not make it everyday, but every second day or so, so as not to put my body into starvation mode. I need high energy levels with the amount of study I'm expected to do for uni, not to mention the training I'll be doing now hockey season has officially begun (first game thursday!)

I just had squid for lunch at this gorgeous little cafe. It is an absolutely beautiful day here today, it'll be a great afternoon for a hit of golf (9 holes) with my dad

DAY 14

Back on track

Calories 900-1000 and carbs a meagre 14.

Meals:
    B- 2 fried eggs
    L- 5 pieces spicy squid
    S- 1/2 avocado guacamole (lemon + salt and pepper)
    D- 3 lamb chops and broccoli

Thanks to my pistachio overeating yesterday, I naturally felt the need to eat less today. I have felt a bit grumpy on and off throughout the day. It could be a hangover type thing from a higher carb day yesterday perhaps; or just coincidence.

I didn't hit up the gym, but did play 9 holes of golf this arvo, so a nice bit of slow walking around the course. I wasn't too bad with my hitting, considering I haven't picked up a club for about 3 months!

I'm looking forward to starting my IF'ing tomorrow.

- A

The day of the big IF I've had a hearty breakfast of eggs and bacon so far, and 2 coffees (with a bit of full fat fresh cream). I think garlic prawns and 1/2 avocado guacamole will be on the plate for lunch, and following that, nothing until breakfast tomorrow. I'm kind of excited to try this out again, and see how it goes and how I feel. It's all a bit of an experiment really. I definitely think you do need to be in the right frame of mind to do it though. I can't see myself missing meals when I'm stressed out. I need that routine, and that constant source of energy. Anyway I'll keep this updated on how I go!

DAY 15

I have reached the 1/2 way point!

My body is thanking me for the last 15 days of good nutrition. I feel absolutely incredible, and am excited at the prospect of another 15 days eating strictly this way I have no longing to go back to eating crap. If I'm hungry, at this point, I'm craving good, real, unprocessed foods.

I haven't weighed myself, I actually didn't weigh myself to begin with, but am relying more on how my clothes are fitting and how I look in the mirror. All very positive at this stage.

Meals today:
    B- 2 fried eggs, 1 slice middle bacon
    L- 10 garlic prawns, 1/2 avocado and 10 macadamias (approx.)
    D- nil.

hunger levels are low, energy levels were pretty high most of the day, but I must admit they have hit a bit of a low now. I feel quite tired after the drive back. I've unpacked most of my things, but have stalled a bit now. I'll do the rest in a while.

- A

Morning update- Had bacon and eggs for breakfast + a coffee (with cream), was no more or less hungry than I normally am when I wake up. I slept well last night, and have lots of energy this morning. Will definitely be IF'ing again soon!

DAY 16

It's been a rather semi-productive day. I've been learning all about skin, but, very, very slowly. For some reason, it seems to be taking me ages to get anywhere with my study these days. It tends to be like this during the term no matter how hard I try to be diligent and keep up with the workload. Still, I'm going to keep trying with my study timetables and what not, at least it keeps my stress levels down a bit. GO TO HELL CORTISOL!!

I'm worried already about the looming STUVAC and exam period. I have been one to go to pieces in the past. End of last year, for example, I lost my sh** completely, turned into an utter loony. I had the craziest studying hours, but just didn't stop. I ate like a pig as well; McDonalds runs, chips, icecream, chocolate (the bad kind)... everything and anything. I must have put on about 7kg in a month. And it wasn't easy to lose either... I just did it mindlessly, I guess to overt stress, but it didn't work too well. Just made me more and more stressed. Somehow I managed to do pretty brilliantly in the exams though- which makes me think, despite my crazy methods, and the hurt I'm doing to my body, this method works if I want good results.

BALANCE.

This time around, ^that is what I'm aiming for. I'm more than happy with a pass in my exams, if it means not putting my body through endless stress, and avoiding that extra 7kg. I can definitely do without it!

SO- the plan is... to do as much prep. work as I can possibly do, and be as bloody organised as I can be. I'm sure the adrenalin will kick in about 3 weeks out and that's when I'll really have to be careful and stick to routine eating. I'm putting in the ground work now, so by this time it shouldn't have to think about what I'm eating each day, I'll just do it.

Does anyone have tips on how to avoid stress binge-eating? I'd love to hear them!!

Meals today:
    B- 2 fried eggs and bacon + coffee (with cream)
    S- pecans and almonds (10 of each)
    L- grilled chicken with paprika and 1/2 avocado mashed with lemon juice
    D- porterhouse steak (180g) + 1/2 tomato, 1/2 onion

Cals around 1200 (would have netted lower), carb 24

I had my first hockey fitness training for the season this afternoon. I feel about average fitness compared to everyone else in the team. It's a good starting point I think.

- A

I'm on to day 17. It always gives me a real sense of satisfaction when I can cross of another day on my little motivation, 30 day challenge board I've got going on. The night before I started this, I stayed up virtually all night looking up quotes and making a pretty motivation wall. I found some stickers of farm animals (not sure why I had these) looking very cute (little did they know they're my source of inspiration for what I'll be eating.. ) One of my favourite quotes up there is "you live longer once you realise any time spent unhappy is wasted" I'm not sure who said that, but it's very true, and I have to remind myself of it everyday. Another goal of mine, which I've decided to add to this challenge, is, for the next 14 days, to focus on "cleaning up" my thoughts. I'm going to use CBT methods I've mastered in the past, and get back to recording my thoughts and challenging them/nullifying the bad ones, or turning them into something more positive. I'm getting sick of my inner voice bagging on me all the time. "Thoughts become things" as they say..

I won't be recording my thoughts here, but may give a few examples each day of some of the ones I've written down.

Back to paleo- I'm going to try another IF tonight. I have a hockey game at around 7:00-7:30, so I won't be eating dinner beforehand, and by the time it finishes, it'll be a bit later than I like to eat (I don't sleep well if I eat too late). I'll try to keep my calorie intake reasonably high this morning, as I'll need the fuel for the game.

So far I have (again!) eaten bacon and eggs for breaky, I plan on having a mid morning snack of a few nuts, and it looks like I might be going out for lunch, so I'll be choosing wisely

- A

DAY 17

I went shopping today! And it wasn't an entirely enjoyable experience. Does anyone else hate changing rooms with a burning passion?! I DO. I'm going along happy about my body, my weight, myself, and then BOOM that fake lighting and those incredibly close up mirrors- that just stare at you from every which angle, kick you fair and square in the gut and make me feel like absolute cr*p! I'm between sizes at the moment, which is such a frustrating thing. The 10's will do up, but are just too tight to wear, and the 12's hang off me, but will stay up. Ahhh where is size 11 when you need it?! Maybe I should start sewing my own clothes. Grandma would be proud.

I've been grumpy on and off today. It's probably because I haven't had a good dose of exercise yet (the worlds cheapest AD). I'm playing hockey in an hour. Our first game! I'm very excited, and may or may not be listening to the gladiator soundtrack right now... YES I'm a dork.

I was thinking heaps about mixing up my diet a bit more, now that I am into the 2nd half of this challenge. I want to still stay true to primal/paleo principles, but add in a little more leniency, not necessarily with the calories/carb count, but with what I'm eating.

I ate an apple today. I barely ever eat apples. I get scared I'm going to crave sugar. It went down really well today. I didn't crave anything afterwards, but later on i had dark chocolate (70%). That's right. I totally indulged, and feel fantastic about it too.

So here's a round up of what I've eaten today:
    B- eggs and bacon + coffee with full cream
    L- 100g (or less) of chicken and a little tomato and cucumber (it was a chickpea salad, but I dodged the chickpeas. NOT.A.FAN)
    S- 1 Fuji Apple
    S- 60g of 70% dark chocolate.

cals- 951 (will net less after hockey!)
    carbs- 51

-A

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast