Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A dilemma... page

ksubeks is offline Junior Member

A dilemma...

Shop Now
    Hey there! I've been fully researching the primal lifestyle for several months after seeing my brothers success. I've been making notes, saving recipes and getting everything ready to make the switch to primal in July. I'm currently using Medifast in an attempt to lose 100 pounds by July. I started on Christmas Day and am 45 pounds down so far. I'm so anxious to go primal yet fear that I won't have as much weight loss success if I start before I've lost this weight with Medifast. However, I'm sure starting now and eating real, organic foods would be better than the processed soy products I'm having now. The nice thing about Medifast is that it's a structured plan that has allowed me to curb my carb addiction and diminish the cravings. I worry that without the structure I'll be tempted for cheating and potential binge eating, as I've done in the past.

So, my question for all of you is should I continue Medifast until I've reached my 100 lb goal, or make the switch now? I've decided that an 80/20 primal lifestyle is what I want to implement for my life, but getting this weight off as quickly as possible is also important. If I do make the switch now, I thought about not allowing myself the "cheat meals" until I've reached my goal just so I don't tempt myself, which may actually help in the weight loss.

Any input or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you so much!

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I may stand alone on this and so be it. IMO, being morbidly obese screws so much with one's health and one's mind that if Medifast is working for you, go ahead and wait until July. It's only three or four months. When you switch, don't concentrate on the fun stuff. Yes, dark chocolate, nuts, nut butters, and wine are all considered primal, but you will gain weight if you indulge in them too much.

As to the other parts of Primal, start getting used to them now. Occasionally lift heavy things, move slowly for long periods of time, avoid as many poisons as possible, occasionally sprint, get out in the sun, play, use your brain.

Also, one thing you might do is to use this time to source healthy foods. Local and online sources of non-factory meats, wild fish, and organic veggies. This drove me crazy when I first started as I live in what may perhaps be the least health conscious city in the country. LOL.

Like I said, I might be alone in this, but I generally won't fix what's working. Stay happy, stay healthy, and good luck!
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

s-piper is offline Senior Member
    I agree with Joanie.

Primal is about more than how you eat, so you can start the other stuff now and keep eating the Medifast foods until you reach your goal of that's what you want to do. When you switch to Primal eating, add the fun stuff like dark chocolate, red wine and even 80/20 last.
    80/20 is your ultimate goal for your lifestyle, but if you're coming of a strict eating plan that is heavily soy-based it's quite a shift. I don't know anything about Medifast, so I'm just going by what you've said.
    I'd plan on having a transition period were you start off with low sugar whole foods like non-starchy vegetables and meats, then add fruit, sweet potatoes, etc. and then Primal treats once you're used to this way of eating and know now it effects your body.
    Last edited by s-piper; 03-24-2013 at 04:34 AM.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    The nice thing about Medifast is that it's a structured plan that has allowed me to curb my carb addiction and diminish the cravings. I worry that without the structure I'll be tempted for cheating and potential binge eating, as I've done in the past.
    Medifast is not going to teach you to deal with binges and cheating. It's critical to learn how to eat and deal with binges and cheating. And I don't think being in a rush to lose weight is the best mindset for LIFELONG weightloss.

The other part of fat loss, IMO, is re-nourishing your body with whole foods. You have to get all of that fixed too. I don't know, if it was me, I'd switch to primal today and be OK with slower weightloss, knowing what I know now. But I also get wanting to acheive a goal. But the day you realize food doesn't control you anymore is honestly better than weight loss. The day you realize that you can have a treat like a cupcake and NOT derail yourself and not want 6 more and go and enjoy your meat and veggie dinner is a powerful day. But I don't think you can get there until you are nourished and caring for your body.

Plus, soy is just bad.

I predict what will happen is you will lose the medifast weight, go primal, likely have a gain and then if you stay with it, start losing. Your body will be starving for nutrition. Plus I think you can get fatigue from try to eat with austerity. You really do need to learn how to accomodate cravings, and the sooner the better. Please realize you may gain in the transition, but don't be discouraged or feel the need to do weird hacks. Just reset your timeline and feed yourself.

FWIW, altogether,,, are you a carb addict? Or are you a sugar addict? If you are a Sugar addict, try a Whole 30. It absolutely opened my eyes as to why I craved sugar- it was boredom, emotion and habit and once I eliminated it for 30 days, I was able to actually enjoy those foods again and continue to but in moderation (you know, the the lady who has half a piece of cake once a month). "Carbs", ie fruits and starches really don't matter (I eat them as desired). And gluten.... ahh, grains, I figured out that they are what gives me back pain (random).

The thing is that if we are/were fat, we were eating unsustainably and have to find a new life that works for us (Is it realistic to avoid carbs for the next 30 years?, Is it realistic to eat 8 times a day? Is it realistic to NEVER eat X or Y?). The problem is that this takes time and experimentation that is not always supportive of our short term fat loss goals.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Kool is offline Senior Member
    Yeah Medi-Fast dependence is not really good for the long term.
    Finding your own way of eating is the best.
    Remember, it's a lifestyle change, not a diet.
    How much calories are you eating so far? Macro ratios?
    Exercise plan?

otzi Guest
    I started on Christmas Day and am 45 pounds down so far. I'm so anxious to go primal yet fear that I won't have as much weight loss success if I start before I've lost this weight with Medifast. However, I'm sure starting now and eating real, organic foods would be better than the processed soy products I'm having now. The nice thing about Medifast is that it's a structured plan that has allowed me to curb my carb addiction and diminish the cravings.
    Just my opinion: Keep doing the Medifast until you have lost all the weight you want to lose OR until you hit a stall that lasts 2-3 weeks, then switch to primal.

I could imagine a stall from Medifast being hard to break with more of it, so that's what I'd do.

I think that at some point, like 100 pounds overweight, drastic measures are needed just to get the fat out as quickly as possible, then you can begin to heal. It's not just about looks at that weight, it's about insulin/leptin sensitivity, visceral fat, and bone/joint damage.

Good luck!

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    what happens in july?

you're almost 1/2 way to your goal, why not start transitioning now? you're currently on a crash diet, losing weight in buckets, yes, but starving yourself and purposefully malnourishing yourself with krap soy products. my understanding is people who lose weight super-fast on these things, or with lap-band, wind up with quite a lot of excess skin, because the body doesn't have time to deal with it. it never goes away. you're not just losing fat, muscle too.

you're not teaching yourself to make good choices or learning how different foods affect you. you're in a self-imposed soy prison instead of eating in the real world.

i agree that being obese is a serious health condition, but i don't understand why you need to wait to start implementing positive changes.
    Last edited by noodletoy; 03-24-2013 at 09:35 AM.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

0Angel0 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by noodletoy View Post
    my understanding is people who lose weight super-fast on these things, or with lap-band, wind up with quite a lot of excess skin, because the body doesn't have time to deal with it. it never goes away. you're not just losing fat, muscle too.
    This. The Meidfast forums are full of people complaining about loose skin. I lost 108 lbs doing a Primal/Paleo version of Atkins and have no loose skin anywhere. And I'm 34. Not old but no spring chicken 21 yr old anymore.

Medifast was one of the diets I tried while on my way up to being over 100 lbs overweight. Of course I lost weight fast, I only had about 25-30lbs to lose when I did it, but it did nothing good for my body. All it was was a crash diet that allowed me to keep my regular dates with the (fake) sugar monster. Every 2-3 hours of sweet liquid powdered food romance! Yum! Ultimately it kept my sugar and carb cravings alive which was detrimental long term. Big waste of time, health, and money IMO. I'd quit it ASAP and eat real food.

sacredgrooves is offline Junior Member
    I just came off Medifast a couple weeks ago. I spent two months, dropped almost 40 lbs so I credit it for getting me out of the walking heart attack mode, but as mentioned the food is really not good for you. I had an eye towards Primal since starting Medifast and I made my "Lean and Green" meals Primal, did my reading for a couple months and when nearing the "transition" phase of Medifast realized there is no way I can do their transition as they wanted to reintroduce foods I am done with. I took some flak on the MF boards for questioning their "religion" on transition, but I can tell you in two weeks of Primal my muscles have hardened up noticeably and I am down another 6 lbs in two weeks. I refuse to live with the fear they expressed.

I agree with above posters, eating those fake candy bars and laboratory foods are not the way to long term health. I ran across a blog that took 5-6 of the typical MF meals and broke down what each chemical or ingredient reacts in our body. I switched to Primal the very next day and have not looked back. The first couple days were unnerving because I wasn't sure what to eat and was afraid of regaining, but I received some sage and simple advice; eat when you are hungry and make sure it is a Primal meal and you will have no worries. Best of luck!

ksubeks is offline Junior Member
    Thank you all for your input. I've decided to go ahead and switch to primal. I intend to be pretty strict until I've reached my desired weight. I'll plan on eating meat and veggies with a little dairy and nuts for snacks. I'll wait to add berries and dark chocolate until I'm at my goal. Does that seem like a good plan? Any recommendations?

Also, I'm looking forward to the physical aspect of the primal lifestyle. Can you suggest a good schedule for exercise? How much weight training, cardio or walking?

Thank you so much!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast