Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: A dilemma... page 4

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I totally agree. Yesterday I craved an orange. I had 3 blood oranges and 3 cuties, and I had had enough. I lost weight overnight.

0Angel0 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    There is a difference.

When I did Whole 30, I just gave myself permission to eat fruit. No other sugar (no chocolate, no sugar in my coffee, no sugar cured bacon). But I could have all the fruits and starches (sweet potatoes, carrots) I wanted. Whole 30 broke a plateau and lost something like 8lbs in a month which is amazing for me. And yeah, I did eat a lot of fruit at times.
    I just finished a Whole30 and lost 11 lbs...amazing for me as a slow loser. Esp being so close to goal. The only fruit I ate was 1/2-1 cup berries with coconut cream a few times a week. I did it low carb and didn't lack for nutrients. Some people can lose while eating all sorts of carbs from natural sources. I'm not one of them.

If you are losing weight on medifast at 900 calories a day it has exactly NOTHING to do with avoiding fruit, carbs or anything else and everything to do with calorie restriction.
    I know because I've done Medifast. When I did it the keto sticks always turned a color even eating up to 100g a day. It was the stupidly low calories that drove me into ketosis. There's no magic to it.

I don't know, I don't count eating fruit (or starchy veggies) as satisfying an "unhealthy" craving for sugar. Usually it's a response to a need for some energy or a desire for something "fresh". It's more like "hey, you need more gas in your tank". An unhealthy sugar craving to me is "OMG I NEED CANDY NOW" (that never happens anymore) or thinking for 3 days about a piece of cake (it happens on occasion- paleo mug cake does the trick). I generally want fruit more on the morning after I work out, or after a day when I don't eat a lot of carbs.
    I don't experience intense cravings anymore but when I did feeding them never worked. It only made things worse. Some people have their sugar dragon is a firm choke hold and are totally in control but others are the ones in the choke hold! If this is you you know who you are! If you've never had intense sweet cravings that practically ran your life you won't understand what I'm talking about. I have and I'm free of them and I'm not doing anything to jeopardize that. I don't have to. There are plenty of healthy natural whole foods that nourish my body without releasing the sugar dragon.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    . At least at first as your body is healing.
    Yeah, and you'll want some weird stuff. When I first started primal after YEARS of being a vegetarian, I remember standing at my counter eating most of a roast chicken, skin and all. Today, I would never eat that much chicken. But I just needed it. It really may take eating a bunch of bananas or 6 apples or 2 cartons of berries to get what is wrong, righted.

Last year, I just ate and wanted animal fat- fatty beef, fatty pork, fatty chicken. These days, I want leaner cuts and the fat is not as desirable. I assume I got what I needed when I was binging on fatty meat.

The thing for me that probably led to the weightloss was that I tended to balance things- so when I was eating that whole chicken, I was not also having sweet potatoes. It was a calorie balance. I'd say right now, I'm in a protein phase, and beginning to want more fats. (I lowered fats to accomodate more proteins and carbs). For whatever reason I'm not wanting as many carbs right now.

It definitely required me to be OK with what my body was telling me to get to this point. It is a leap of faith to eat a chicken or three bananas. But I find as I go along, it gets less extreme.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

If you've never had intense sweet cravings that practically ran your life you won't understand what I'm talking about.
    Oh, I've been there. Bags of snickers, eating sugar until I was sick. I think I am lucky that fruit doesn't have that impact on me.

ksubeks is offline Junior Member
    You guys are so helpful! So, should I plan to eat berries a few times a week or just if I feel I need something sweet? And any other fruit or just stick to the lower carb berries for now? I love cuties, apples, grapes and bananas, but I'm just so afraid of sugar - even in its natural form. Too much negative brainwashing!!

Oh, and where do you guys find cans of coconut milk of making cream? I only was finding coconut water or almond milk.
    Last edited by ksubeks; 03-25-2013 at 11:12 AM.

0Angel0 is offline Senior Member
    My advice would be to stick to the berries initially. They're among the most nutritious fruits anyway so you're not losing out on anything by using them instead of the higher sugar fruits. Don't forget there are tons of other fruits like bell peppers, tomatoes, avocados, zucchini, etc. Just because we think only of high sugar fruit as "fruit" doesn't make that reality. Eat lots of fruits and veggies. Just try to get the most nutritionally dense ones you can find. The biggest nutritional bang for your carb or calorie buck.

Oh, and where do you guys find cans of coconut milk of making cream? I only was finding coconut water or almond milk.
    The area where they have Thai/Chinese foods is often where those hang out, not in the soy/almond milk section.

For the fruit, why not just buy a little assortment- some berries, a couple of bananas, some oranges. There is not a right answer. See how it makes you feel. If you are afraid, if you want a banana, go to the store and buy ONE banana or a pint of berries. And I'd just eat it when you want some. I do try and eat mine with a meal.

And you can't eat what you don't buy. When I did Whole 30, I made sure there was no sugar to be had (except fruit). So... when I craved sweet, sure have a banana.... but if I kept wanting more, my only option was more fruit. I guarantee if I had ice cream or chocolate in my house, I would have failed.

2ndChance is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    Yeah, and you'll want some weird stuff. When I first started primal after YEARS of being a vegetarian, I remember standing at my counter eating most of a roast chicken, skin and all. Today, I would never eat that much chicken. But I just needed it. It really may take eating a bunch of bananas or 6 apples or 2 cartons of berries to get what is wrong, righted.

Last year, I just ate and wanted animal fat- fatty beef, fatty pork, fatty chicken. These days, I want leaner cuts and the fat is not as desirable. I assume I got what I needed when I was binging on fatty meat.

The thing for me that probably led to the weightloss was that I tended to balance things- so when I was eating that whole chicken, I was not also having sweet potatoes. It was a calorie balance. I'd say right now, I'm in a protein phase, and beginning to want more fats. (I lowered fats to accomodate more proteins and carbs). For whatever reason I'm not wanting as many carbs right now.

It definitely required me to be OK with what my body was telling me to get to this point. It is a leap of faith to eat a chicken or three bananas. But I find as I go along, it gets less extreme.
    This is such a good post. So many people turn to fad diets because they feel like they can't trust what their bodies are telling them. They feel like, "I want to eat 3 bananas" but they don't, because the internet told them not to, and then when they go to bed that night they pat themselves on the back for resisting, but then 3 days later they can't take it anymore and end up eating 10 bananas.

As for fruit suggestions, I always keep the following on hand: apples, oranges, a couple types of berries. Sometimes kiwis or bananas, but the apples and oranges are my true fruit staples.

ksubeks is offline Junior Member
    Using the Lose it app, I totaled my protein, carbs, fat and calories so far and am sitting at these totals...

Protein: 86g
    Carbs: 17g
    Fat: 88 g
    Calories: 1194

The fat is probably higher because of cheese. I'll cut back on that. Is everything else ok? It feels high being that I haven't even had supper yet!

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    i eat more carbs and way more fat everyday and my diet is considered vlc here.

i generally am between 20-40 gms carbs and over 100 gms for fat.

i know it's hard, but don't be afraid of real food. it's actually your friend.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast