Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: A dilemma... page 3

ksubeks is offline Junior Member
    Shop Now
    On Medifast I was eating around 900 calories a day. So this will be a drastic difference I'm sure. I'll definitely try and limit the cheese and sodium. I'm in a good habit of drinking at least 100 oz of water a day because I'm always worried of sodium bloat.

I'll work on preparing some bigger primal meals that I can take for lunch to avoid the need for snacking. I'm so used to eating small every 2 hours with Medifast.

I like the idea of eating berries. My brothers favorite primal treat is fresh berries with whipped cream. I was just worried it might be too many carbs, but having a little everyday is a good plan. And healthy antioxidants, right?!

I'll start tracking just to give myself a good idea of how much I'm eating and if I need to adjust something. I'm so used to fruits and carrots being a no-no n Medifast that I was nervous putting carrots in my lunch today. Sad.

I am definitely an emotional eater and when I'm not on Medifast with the structure, I had tendencies to binge to feed my emotions (as well as if I felt I was being deprived). It's something I've identified and am working on being aware of. I find that as long as I don't allow myself a taste of something like cake or a cookie, I can avoid the temptation. I worry about getting the taste in my mouth and then spiraling. That's why I think it's best if I avoid all of that temptation until I'm at my desired weight. Then I'll have to learn to manage the 80/20 lifestyle without binging. As you said before, Magnolia, I'm too young to say I'm never going to have cake or chips again, but I need to be able to do it without making myself miserable.

I have goals of losing, and with Medifast it was feasible to get to the big 100 pound mark by July (with another 15-25 lbs to get to my ideal weight), but as someone previously mentioned, I'd probably be saggy at the end. I think as long as the weight still comes off, and I feel healthy and strong, I'm ok going slower. I obviously don't expect to come out of this without some battle scars (saggy skin) but I'd like to minimize it as much as possible.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    On Medifast I was eating around 900 calories a day. So this will be a drastic difference I'm sure. I'll definitely try and limit the cheese and sodium. I'm in a good habit of drinking at least 100 oz of water a day because I'm always worried of sodium bloat.
    Oh god, I'm so glad you started primal.

Just IMO, 900 calories a day is not right and pretty much is a good illustration as to why so many people regain. You have a lot of healing to do, physically and mentally. That you are worried about carrots makes me super sad and angry at the whole weight loss industry. It's very sad that they want you to eat chemicals, yet fear fruit and carrots.

Look at it this way- fruit, vegetables and meats did not make you fat. Very likely processed food are what made you fat. Nothing BUT NOTHING makes me twitchier than when people try and sell fake foods while making people scared of real, whole foods.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    You don't need to worry about "sodium bloat" and drink enormous quantities of water to wash it away. Drinking more water does not speed up weight loss. Drink water when you're thirsty and you'll be fine.

workinprogress is offline Senior Member
    It's my understanding that most Berries don't have enough total sugar to be much of a problem. Your likely to get more sugar from store bought whipped cream.

I try to cook as much as much as possible so that I know whats in my food. I have a pressure cooker that I have fallen in love with. I cook a lot of soups in it. Make stocks in it. It has allowed me to cook up large quantities of things that I can then use throughout the week. Also own a crock pot, and some really old cast iron pans.
    Just keep plugging away at it, patience and consistency will get you were you want to go every time.

2ndChance is offline Senior Member
    You might have lost weight on 900 cals of processed soy a day, but that definitely isn't healthy. This is about more than your waistline; it's about your health. Dairy is a huge binge trigger for me (highly insulinogenic)--you might want to eat your berries without the cream. I eat frozen raspberries/blueberries right out of the freezer--yum! They taste good on their own! (And consider this-- Antioxidant activity of blueberry fruit ... [Free Radic Biol Med. 2009] - PubMed - NCBI)

If you liked MediFast's structure, find a way to incorporate the same kind of structure into your primal eating plan. The good thing about eating real food is your body will start to detox (gotta unload all the toxic chemicals from the MediFast "food") and you'll be more in tune with its hunger/satiety signals.

sacredgrooves is online now Junior Member
    When I left Medifast, I felt like I escaped prison and was not sure which way to run lol. I am still aiming to shed another 10 lbs or so, but my calorie intake is closer to 1500 than the 800-1000 on MF (I am 6'2 198 lbs). I achieved the extra by adding some "healthy" fats like coconut oil to coffee and cooking etc and adding more meat. Bison has been my best friend and I have probably had it 40-50 times in the last 3 months. Keep reading this forum, search any keyword you have an interest in, and ask questions. It is simple and so much more satisfying. I am not interested in only being an 80/20 Primal eater at this moment, my goal is 95-100% until this is well entrenched in my psyche. You can do this, and be much healthier as well!

0Angel0 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ksubeks View Post
    I am definitely an emotional eater and when I'm not on Medifast with the structure, I had tendencies to binge to feed my emotions (as well as if I felt I was being deprived).
    For me structure is the thing most lacking in a Primal or Paleo eating plan. I found Atkins first then a month or so later Primal and it's been a combination of the two for me that worked. Following the Atkins steps and recommendations and choosing only Primal or Paleo approved foods is the best of both worlds. Structure and healthy foods. Whole9 has nice meal plan templates if you want to go that route although for me going low carb high fat is what worked. I wouldn't have done it any other way.

You don't necessarily have to do lower carb but it might be a good safety net for you coming off Medifast. I know I'd be tempted to dive right into fruit and the starchier veggies because I felt so deprived on medifast and my sugar and carb cravings were never conquered. When you cut out junk and processed food eating low carb high fat while still watching calories and eating real nourishing food is completely doable.

Whichever way you go good luck and I'm so glad you decided to ditch those nasty powder packets!

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 0Angel0 View Post
    I know I'd be tempted to dive right into fruit and the starchier veggies because I felt so deprived on medifast and my sugar and carb cravings were never conquered.
    While sugar or carb cravings can be a problem, it's also true that the desire to gorge on fruit and vegetables may have to do with a real physiological need of the body after being deprived of such things.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    I know I'd be tempted to dive right into fruit and the starchier veggies because I felt so deprived on medifast and my sugar and carb cravings were never conquered.
    There is a difference.

When I did Whole 30, I just gave myself permission to eat fruit. No other sugar (no chocolate, no sugar in my coffee, no sugar cured bacon). But I could have all the fruits and starches (sweet potatoes, carrots) I wanted. Whole 30 broke a plateau and lost something like 8lbs in a month which is amazing for me. And yeah, I did eat a lot of fruit at times.

If you are losing weight on medifast at 900 calories a day it has exactly NOTHING to do with avoiding fruit, carbs or anything else and everything to do with calorie restriction.

I don't know, I don't count eating fruit (or starchy veggies) as satisfying an "unhealthy" craving for sugar. Usually it's a response to a need for some energy or a desire for something "fresh". It's more like "hey, you need more gas in your tank". An unhealthy sugar craving to me is "OMG I NEED CANDY NOW" (that never happens anymore) or thinking for 3 days about a piece of cake (it happens on occasion- paleo mug cake does the trick). I generally want fruit more on the morning after I work out, or after a day when I don't eat a lot of carbs.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

0Angel0 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    While sugar or carb cravings can be a problem, it's also true that the desire to gorge on fruit and vegetables may have to do with a real physiological need of the body after being deprived of such things.
    Oh I completely agree! After a stint on Medifast one's body absolutely needs nutrition but not necessarily carbs. Initially for me too many calories from carbs or sugar, even from whole natural foods, just made me crave more and more. Now I've learned to recognize my body's need for nourishment vs carb induced cravings. It took a while though and right off Medifast no way I could tell the difference. Now I'm perfectly able to listen to my body but that wasn't the case when I first started losing weight and was fat but undernourished. If those cravings never lead beyond an apple or some berries everyday that's great. For me, and I suspect I'm not alone, they don't stop there in the beginning. It's just a matter of choosing highly nutritious food with the least amount of carbs for some people. At least at first as your body is healing.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast