Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: A dilemma... page 2

2ndChance is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I didn't read this whole thread, I don't really know what MediFast is, but one thing is clear here: you respond well to structure. There are SO many ways to approach primal living that I think you could create a plan for yourself where cheating wasn't allowed, certain foods at certain times, find a way to incorporate the elements of MediFast that have been working for you while eliminating things like processed soy (yuck). It's fun (IMO anyway) to sit down and come up with a diet plan, a list of what you're going to eat and when, what things are allowed and what aren't. The goal isn't only weight loss but also better health, and eating primally will help you towards that for sure. I personally think berries and dark chocolate are better for you than dairy, but I don't want to get into a debate over it with other posters. My main takeaway from my year and a half or so of trying different variations of primal has been to do what feels right. Exercise when you feel like exercising, don't force yourself (I say that because I've ended up with knee injuries from too much elliptical-ing, but if you're looking to lose weight you may have to push yourself beyond what "feels good"), work on getting in tune with your body's wants, eating only when hungry... I'm a big fan of yoga myself, which you might want to look into (lots of good books on it at the library) as a way to relieve stress, increase flexibility, and be generally healthier. Try to get the highest quality meats you can, lots of veggies, don't be afraid to eat, just make sure you're eating the right stuff and you will keep seeing results. Good luck!

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    Medifast is not going to teach you to deal with binges and cheating.
    The other part of fat loss, IMO, is re-nourishing your body with whole foods.
    Plus, soy is just bad.
    This^^^

Quote Originally Posted by ksubeks View Post
    Thank you all for your input. I've decided to go ahead and switch to primal. I intend to be pretty strict until I've reached my desired weight. I'll plan on eating meat and veggies with a little dairy and nuts for snacks. I'll wait to add berries and dark chocolate until I'm at my goal. Does that seem like a good plan? Any recommendations?

Also, I'm looking forward to the physical aspect of the primal lifestyle. Can you suggest a good schedule for exercise? How much weight training, cardio or walking?

Thank you so much!
    Sounds like a good plan. For exercise you can download Mark's PB Fitness Guide for free. It is an excellent program that can be scaled to any level of athleticism.

Welcome to the tribe.

thewildirishgirl is offline Junior Member
    When I switched from Weightwatchers to Primal, I did strict primal for a month. It was a really good experience for me and helped me switch off a lot of my cravings. As someone who has successfully switched to this lifestyle and seen steady and substantial weight loss, my advice is to be kind and patient with yourself. I had intense carb flu for three weeks. THREE WEEKS! I felt like I had morning sickness again! After those three weeks, my weight loss went through the roof and my energy level sky-rocketed. Don't over think the exercise. I was used to doing intense chronic cardio my whole life to just maintain my weight, but that's not necessary on primal. You need to stay active and invest in some strength training (especially if you're interested in looking good naked), but find things you love to do and focus on that for a while. Trust in the process and good luck

Artbuc is offline Senior Member
    Thank you all for your input. I've decided to go ahead and switch to primal. I intend to be pretty strict until I've reached my desired weight. I'll plan on eating meat and veggies with a little dairy and nuts for snacks. I'll wait to add berries and dark chocolate until I'm at my goal. Does that seem like a good plan? Any recommendations?

Also, I'm looking forward to the physical aspect of the primal lifestyle. Can you suggest a good schedule for exercise? How much weight training, cardio or walking?

Thank you so much!
    Two squares of Lindt 90% is just 120 cals. If you feel deprived, you may eventually binge. Treat yourself to a square or two everyday.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Honestly, I'd try and go ahead and NOT restrict your carbs to VLC at first (ie, eat some berries, other fruits, starches) and really listen to your body. If you are worried about sugar binges, try a Whole 30 for the first month. I feel like the more diversity of foods you can eat, the better off you are for long term success.

A lot of people do well VLC (ketosis) and a lot of people do not. You may be craving half a bakery one day and maybe that banana or sweet potato stops that craving. VLC did nothing for me but make me way overeat nuts and crave sweet and not be able to exercise.

If after a couple of months, you find that you can't handle the carbs (and I don't mean like 300 grams of carbs, I mean something closer to 100 grams), then move on to very low carb. I mean, I know it seems weird, but you actually CAN lose weight and gain control of your eating while eating a minimally restrictive diet, once you ditch grains, bad oils and processed foods.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    If after a couple of months, you find that you can't handle the carbs (and I don't mean like 300 grams of carbs, I mean something closer to 100 grams), then move on to very low carb. I mean, I know it seems weird, but you actually CAN lose weight and gain control of your eating while eating a minimally restrictive diet, once you ditch grains, bad oils and processed foods.
    I definitely have found this to be true. I have never restricted carbs, except for one failed attempt to use VLC to manage my appetite. Still, my appetite for sweets has steadily decreased over the the last 8 months as my diet has become increasingly primal. I very rarely eat nuts straight, because they pack an amazing calorie wallop and minimizing O6 is a priority for me. I also never found very dark chocolate to be a satisfying substitute for sweet. A cup of chai or mint tea with 2tsp honey works much better for me.

I think the suggestion to replicate the Medifast structure with primal foods is a excellent one. I eat 4-6oz berries and 4oz yogurt almost every day for breakfast and 300-500 calories worth of dinner leftovers for lunch. Dinner is a lot more random, but the repetitive rhythm of breakfast and lunch is very helpful to me.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

noodletoy is online now Senior Member

Thank you so much!
    WELL DONE!!!!

you will know what works best for you. will you need to be hard-score strict and avoid "indulgences"? i never had a sweet tooth so don't ever miss chocolate and such, simply because i never really ate it before. harder for me was eliminating grains and the cravings they drove. for that, i had to go vlc: no fruit, no berries, not even yogurt at the start. nuts are not an out-of-hand snack, but a garnish on salads or veggies, maybe once per week.

am only saying what worked for me. find your groove.

eat animal proteins and lots of veggies. if certain starches or fruits fit in your game-plan, then by all means enjoy. just focus on a wide variety of whole foods. the whole 30 challenge up top is a great one.

as for activity, just get moving for now. go for walks, park at the very far end of the parking lot, take the stairs, etc. mark just had a great post about quick resistance exercises that take 10 minutes.

stay on board and best of luck. you'll be so happy to have taken pro-active measures fro your health and life. congrats.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

ksubeks is offline Junior Member
    I feel like I'm already over the carb and sweet addiction because of Medifast. However I might find that now that I'm not eating all those bars I'll start having a sweet tooth. I feel a little overwhelmed today wondering if I'm doing things right. Would you guys mind giving your input on my first few meals? Also, should I be tracking my calories, proteins or carbs? I didn't think we needed to but then I notice some people in the forums talking about tracking. I'm so confused...

Anyway, breakfast was bacon egg muffins I made in the oven - 2 slices of bacon mixed with 2 scrambled eggs and baked.

I have some raw veggies and lettuce wraps for lunch using 2 slices each of organic ham and turkey lunch meat with 2 slices of provolone (I love cheese). For snacks I brought some pistachios, 2 boiled eggs and a turkey snack stick in case I get hungry.

Yay or nay?

Again, I REALLY appreciate all the feedback. I kind of feel that I need my hand held through this transition. I'm so worried of doing it wrong and gaining weight.

Btw, I'm a 33 year old female with about 75 pounds to lose (already lost 70 from where I started at a year and a half ago). Don't know if that makes a difference for how much I need to be I taking.

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    some like to track, others don't. entirely up to you.

how many cals are you eating now per day? if it's very low, your weight may blip up, but don't let that freak you out. your body will start to realize it's getting real food and even itself out.

your foods look fine, just be careful with the cheese and the processed meats. they're full of sodium and cheese can be a real problem for weight loss, especially with women.

try transitioning yourself to eating sufficiently big meals so you don't need to snack during the day. this may take awhile if you're used to consuming very low-cal.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    I think you just need to get going. See how today works, everyone is different. Personally, I'd not eat the cheese or nuts, and add in some fruit. Other people would eat more fat. Etc.

Tracking is helpful to see what you need to adjust over time, plus gives you an idea of calories.

If you want something sweet, try some fruit with a touch of fat and see what happens (say a bowl of berries with a dollop of whip cream). If that makes you want a case of Little Debbies, you just learned something. If it satisfies you, now you know how to handle a sweets craving.

Ongoing, if your sweet tooth is unmanageable, I totally recommend a Whole 30 which will teach you why you eat sweets. When my only choice was fruit or nothing, I figured out pretty quickly that my sweet tooth was driven by habit and emotion. Like I wanted sweets 2 x a day every day. Now I do want sweets occasionally, but more like maybe once a week ( I eat fruit daily), and it is a different kind of want. Things like daily dark chocolate made me unable to get to the bottom of my habit.

And congrats on your weightloss to date. I know goals are important, but every time you make the decision to eat healthy foods, you are helping your body. I know you are really focused on your date and goal, but realize that if you do primal right, and figure out what you need, all the sudden eating in a way that supports weightloss will be effortless and make you feel great. It takes some experimenting and can be frustrating. I look at the scale and have lost about 12 lbs since September. Not a huge loss, and it's been frustrating, but I realize that I genuinely eat foods I love and enjoy, feel nourished and healthy, and do not feel deprived. I know that a year from now, I'll be happy eating this way, smaller and even healthier.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast