Thread: Question about daily total calorie intake page

BuckG71 is offline Junior Member

Question about daily total calorie intake

I just started eating Primally 10 days ago and I love it - I feel great! I never counted calories before, but I suspect that I was eating 3,500+ calories per day on average (including obscene amounts of bread, pasta and sweets). Since changing my diet ten days ago i have been counting calories with FitDay, and my average calorie intake is somewhere in the low 2,000's. I'm not really trying to limit my calories, I just don't feel the need to eat more - I'm not hungry as much. FitDay says that for my age, height and weight (38, 6'3", 280) and activity level (moderate) I burn an estimated 3,700 calories per day. Over the past 10 days I've lost close to 10 lbs without really even trying. I've eliminated junk food and simple carbs and have limited total carbs to no more than 120 gm/day but I haven't tried to starve myself - I've been eating plenty of eggs, avocado, lean meat and tons of veggies, nuts and fruits. I haven't once felt hungry other than when I was fasting for a half day before getting blood taken. I suspect that as the days go by the pace of weight loss will decrease. But my question is this - as long as I'm eating enough that I feel energetic and satisfied do I need to worry about the rate of weight loss? You hear all the time that after the first week or two you should limit weight loss to 1-2 lbs/wk, but it seems like I'd have to be forcing myself to overeat to stick to that limit. What are the thoughts from the group?

Thanks,
    BG

ChristineCrain is offline Senior Member
    I don't know about calorie limits, but ti doesn't seem like you should be STUFFING yourself just to get the right amount of calories to me. As long as you're eating your meat and veggies, you have energy and you aren't starving then I can't see a problem. My guess is that the weight loss will taper off anyway, that's how it went for me. I lost ten pounds in about a week and a half and since then it comes off much slower.
    ---
    ~Christine

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Totally agree. One thing that happens when you first change up the eating is your body lets go of a bunch of water - you're not burning 1 lb of body fat a day. I lost 7 lb my first week and I started out smaller than you are. Basically, you'll get hungry if you're seriously lacking the nutrition. Once in a while I wake up ravenous at 6 am, but usually I'm not even hungry in the morning. On PB, your body is more "honest" about telling you when you're not getting enough, as opposed to just expecting more carbohydrates.

FrankOcean is offline Senior Member
    Well according to Gary Taubes calories dont matter, as long as you eat very low carb.

According to others they do.

My take, I listen to Griff, eat until satisfied, then when you become hungry again eat.

That's it.

No need to count calories or anything like that, your body has he's own system all figured it out, listen to him.

Dryden is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankOcean View Post
    No need to count calories or anything like that, your body has he's own system all figured it out, listen to him.
    +1 to this. When you're hungry, eat. When you're not hungry, don't eat. And when you're tired, take a nap.

Somehow Grok, - and all his ancestors 2.5 million years before him, - managed to do OK without any nutrition labels or FitDay accounts as guides. Michael Pollan is right. We've allowed nutritionism and industrialism to take over where simple animal instinct should tell us what and when to eat.

Tarlach is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankOcean View Post
    Well according to Gary Taubes calories dont matter, as long as you eat very low carb.

According to others they do.
    That's because there are two ways to lose weight:
    • Starvation/caloric restriction - Where you eat less calories than you burn by tring to force yourself to eat less and burn more. You are fighting against natural reactions to restrict expenditure on less calories and you often lose muscle mass with body fat as your body fights to retain energy as a safety measure.
    or
    • By turning off fat storage and raising metabolism. Probably still due to caloric deficit by massively raising calories used in processes like futile cycling. This is what eating lots of fat and very low carb does. The other ways to enhance this are IF, strength training, etc.

By eating low carb and restricting calories, you are just doing the first one and likely won't get any of the benefits of a raised metabolism, because survival systems take priority.

As a lot of us keep saying, you need to eat until satiated.

I'm quite happy to agree with Taubes and say - It's not about how much you eat, but what and when. If you eat enough fat and low enough carbs you can eat as much as you physically can force in and still lose weight. I've seen it happen.
    The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)