Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Primal living - clutter free - join me page 2

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by OneDeltaTenTango View Post
    A couple of years ago, we dealt with my dad's house where he lived for 35 years before passing away. You don't know what a gift it is to do this when a parent is still alive!
    about 13 years ago, i had to do this when my mom was widowed and moving to a much smaller home. she'd lived in our house for over 20 years and i swear to pete never thrown away anything. it was a NIGHTMARE having her hover over me, telling me she might need "that" "someday". classic hoarding. i only had 5 days to clean out, pack and move her. i finally had to banish her and make her go do other stuff.

it filled TWO dumpsters and she still had more stuff to move than a sane person should, plus made me take stuff for which i had no use, but held sentimental value for her. at the time i was living in a 3-bedroom house so it all fit. when i moved to a loft with almost no storage i went mad with clearing out, giving almost everything away. it felt awesome and so empowering.

a few years later, she lost her marbles and her home. 90% of that s**t went into storage. she couldn't pay the monthly rent and it was eventually sold at auction. POOF!

my b/f teases me constantly about how maniacal i am about reducing clutter and keeping "stuff" to a minimum. both my mom and her mom were hoarders. your stuff winds up owning you. no thanks.

eta: i had a great uncle whom nobody had heard from for awhile and people got nervous. called the police, who had to call the fire department to axe their way into his nightmare hoard of stacks of papers and magazine and just STUFF. he'd been dead several days and it took the cops quite some time to find the body in the warren of belongings. <<shudder>>
    Last edited by noodletoy; 03-24-2013 at 10:05 AM.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Chanda is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by noodletoy View Post

eta: i had a great uncle whom nobody had heard from for awhile and people got nervous. called the police, who had to call the fire department to axe their way into his nightmare hoard of stacks of papers and magazine and just STUFF. he'd been dead several days and it took the cops quite some time to find the body in the warren of belongings. <<shudder>>
    Oh my god, that's horrible. If that doesn't make you cut down on your clutter, I don't know what would.

JennGlob is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OneDeltaTenTango View Post
    A couple of years ago, we dealt with my dad's house where he lived for 35 years before passing away. You don't know what a gift it is to do this when a parent is still alive!
    Oh, I do. I'm glad she can help and is still as normal as we can hope for her mentally. Also, at least we are in no hurry, it will take several more months. We have made enough progress since January to have the first garage sale in April. It will just be the worthless to us stuff. Then lots to charity. While I am glad she is still alive and we get to laugh and go to lunch while doing this, I can tell you if she had already passed, we would have been done in the time it took the charity truck to drive it away. Oh, and the trash man. All that being said, my kids 10 & 12 are learning a valuable lesson about stuff...cause, they are helping too. Really, it has been good for my relationship with my mom, we've spent a long time not being very nice to each other...gives me a chance to be a better daughter. I guess, I am getting rid of physical and emotional clutter..
    Primal since 4/7/2012

Starting weight 140
    Current weigh 126

www.jenniferglobensky.blogspot.com

Jennifer

Chanda is offline Member
    Okay, I got started and threw away ten items (actually more than ten items) of things gone wrong in the fridge. It's a small start, but at least it's a start!

OneDeltaTenTango is online now Senior Member
    This thread is inspiring me to hoe out unworn clothes from the closet today. Thanks!

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by noodletoy View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Chanda View Post
    Oh my god, that's horrible. If that doesn't make you cut down on your clutter, I don't know what would.
    funny thing about my mom's house, is that the living areas were immaculate, but the basement and attic nearly impassable with boxes and bags and just mountains of stuff. boxes and boxes of unworn clothing and shoes, still with price tags!! every "objet" that had ever been part of a decorating scheme. empty fish tanks and stands, a giant console tv from the 60s that i absolutely could not move, etc. krazee, the stuff i found. it's fascinating when she didn't even know what was down there, but was nonetheless too afraid to let it go.

my uncle had died when i was very small and she always used his story as a cautionary tale to make me clean my room!!

i don't know if this sort of thing runs in families, but man, i have stopped that train cold, lol.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12