Thread: re: friendships page

Karo is offline Junior Member

Question re: friendships

Primal Fuel
    Kinda an off-topic question: where do you meet "normal" people these days who could potentially become your friends? We live in a large metropolitan area and people are either too busy, too neurotic or are so plugged into social-media that it is difficult to create meaningful relationships with them.

Fantazmic is offline Member
    join a club where you will meet a wide variety of people with common interest

eg we joined a garden club

but there are heaps of clubs out there where you can meet lovely people

Mike in Virginia is offline Senior Member
    meetup.com has thousands of meetup groups throughout the country, focusing on many different interests (e.g., photography, hiking, singles, travel, languages, dancing...). I made many friends through a political group and a singles group in my area. It's worth searching the site to see if there any groups in your area that interest you. It's free unless you want to start your own group; group owners have to pay some amount to maintain the group's page on the site.

Note: I am not affiliated with that site in any way. I was just in a couple of groups in the past and found them enjoyable.
    Live your life and love your life. It's the only one you get.

wiltondeportes Guest
    This might sound cheesy, but one of the best ways truly is volunteering. You're going to meet people that you match up with pretty strongly in at least one area. If you're not happy, depressed, not working, etc... At least make yourself a little useful for someone else. You might find a purpose while you're doing it. All that may not describe you, but the same goes for anyone else reading.

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    do you have children ???? Plunket/preschool/school are a great way to meet parents - However if like me you moved to a new area - way after your childrens schooling, I actually agree with Wilton. DH joined Lions, and also the local golf club, and I have meet a few people that way. BUT my father always says - do not take 5 minutes to make a freind - take your time and you will know after a while whether thay are worth it.

and just as an aside "Don't make someone a priority if they only make you an option !"
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

magicmerl is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wiltondeportes View Post
    This might sound cheesy, but one of the best ways truly is volunteering. You're going to meet people that you match up with pretty strongly in at least one area. If you're not happy, depressed, not working, etc... At least make yourself a little useful for someone else. You might find a purpose while you're doing it. All that may not describe you, but the same goes for anyone else reading.
    +1
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    yes, it's easy to meet other parents if you have children. whether or not you and those parents have anything in common is another thing. lol the only thing most of my son's friend's parents have in common with me is the fact that they have a child who likes my child and goes to the same school. otherwise, there's not a whole lot of commonality.

in my own case, i just hew to my interests. Meet-up is great. Another thing is follow-up. If you like someone, you need to show/tell them that you like them and want to spend time with them by inviting them to similar or related things, or just tea/coffee, or whatever. Even random stuff. Seriously, I just do that.

And if they aren't interested in me (that's what "too busy" often means), then that's cool. But some people are, and so they'll follow the invite and follow up as well.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Honestly, the best way to making friends is not to go out with the intention of doing so, but to discover what you are truly passionate about in life. Once you start to pursue your real interests, you will meet people. Friendships will naturally evolve because you'll be joined by something that you both love.

People complain that London is hard to make friends in, but I never had that problem because I am passionate about lots of things and pursue knowledge and experience.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat