Thread: Strengthening the core/lower back page

abbsman is offline Junior Member

Strengthening the core/lower back

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hey Guys,

Nick here.

Had a couple questions about lower back pain.

About five years ago i had injured my lower left back using a curling machine and since the incident i have constantly been re-injuring my back. When it is re-injured it usually takes about 6 weeks to return to normal and has an affect on my day to day life.

Recently (this is kind of embarressing) it has even begun to affect my intimate life with my girlfriend and that is even causing me pain.

I realize that if i don't fix this now (I am 21) it is going to be a lot worse by the time i am 40.

I have started doing some stretches, using a foam roller and reading a few books

Would love to hear if anyone had similar experiences and how they solved them.

Thanks

Nick

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    is the injury muscular or disc related?
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

Muscular

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Six weeks of pain that is very recurrent doesn't add up to simply being muscular in most cases. At the very least it usually has an element of sprain (ligament or joint capsule) involvement. Anyway, step one should be a chiropractic eval. But, beyond that this is the routine I've been using after the joints and biomechanics have been addressed to develop better core strength:

Foundation: Redefine Your Core, Conquer Back Pain, and Move with Confidence: Eric Goodman, Peter Park, Lance Armstrong: 9781609611002: Amazon.com: Books

Simple set of 5-10 exercises (beginner, intermediate, and advanced) that is done in 30-40 minutes over the course of six weeks.

Oh, as to if I've had such experience and how i fixed it.... yes I had a herniated disc at the age of 15. Chiropractic treatment helped me to avoid the suggested laminectomy surgery and get back to competing. 20 years later and my spine is still in tact!

I've been doing the above core work that I linked for a few weeks and really like it. From a function and strength standpoint the program just makes sense...but, I had addressed my underlying disc, joint, and nerve dysfunctions long before doing this exercise program.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 03-23-2013 at 06:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Six weeks of pain that is very recurrent doesn't add up to simply being muscular in most cases. At the very least it usually has an element of sprain (ligament or joint capsule) involvement. Anyway, step one should be a chiropractic eval. But, beyond that this is the routine I've been using after the joints and biomechanics have been addressed to develop better core strength:

Foundation: Redefine Your Core, Conquer Back Pain, and Move with Confidence: Eric Goodman, Peter Park, Lance Armstrong: 9781609611002: Amazon.com: Books

Simple set of 5-10 exercises (beginner, intermediate, and advanced) that is done in 30-40 minutes over the course of six weeks.
    Thanks Neck, just ordered the book. I should get a proper evaluation and am gonna take a look at some chiros this week

-Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post

Thanks Neck, just ordered the book. I should get a proper evaluation and am gonna take a look at some chiros this week

-Nick

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by abbsman View Post

-Nick
    Definitely take care of that back! I've been there.... no reason you can't kick this and have a strong spine permanently. Good luck.

Iron Will is offline Senior Member
    I agree with Neck that the first thing you should do is talk to a chiropractor or physical therapist. The second thing you should do is talk to a certified kettle bell instructor. Please make sure they are certified and taught proper technique. I've been certified by Agatsu and have seen so many trainers out there teach bad technique that it blows my mind. The best thing that you can do for you back is to swing Kettle bells. I've had back pain my entire life and the only thing that keeps it at bay are swings.

Learn proper technique and kettle bells will change your life.

dwkdnvr is offline Member
    Bit of a late reply, but another thanks for the pointer to the Foundation Training material. I picked up the Kindle book, and then quickly followed with the downloadable videos. Very good stuff, and consistent with the Primal philosophy of rectifying problems introduced by artificial modern environments. I'm a bit surprised it hasn't achieved a somewhat higher profile around here.
    The interview with Mercola is long, but I thought is was well worth watching. It's linked from the main Foundation Training site.

diene is offline Senior Member
    I've been doing these just by watching the videos they have on Youtube. Well, I was doing them for a while, but I've been slacking lately. I really need to buy the video with the complete exercises and start doing them. Oh, if only I had an extra 5 hours a week to workout.