Thread: Veggies...who can tell me?!? page

goinggrok is offline Senior Member

Veggies...who can tell me?!?

Primal Fuel
    What is the scoop on hydroponically grown veggies?

Good? Bad?

I was talking with the woman at our market, they have a booth, with the most good looking veggies and I found out they are grown hydroponically. She was telling me that the feed the roots with nutrients with the water, similar to dirt, but in fact better as the root absorbs it completely.

What's the primal take and your opinions?

peril is offline Senior Member
    It's analogous to feeding yourself supplements instead of whole food. Can you be sure that the nutrients provided in the water are all a plant needs to reach its full potential as human nourishment?
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Gladmorning is offline Senior Member
    There is nothing non primal about this. Growing hydroponically is just as awesome as growing in dirt, as long as their aren't putting crap in the water. In fact, this method is used in many city gardens because you don't HAVE to have dirt. Most people will have a giant fish tank or something of the sort and recycle that water into the plants.
    The process is simple: Free your mind, and your ass will follow.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    From Wiki (may be true, may not be true): Hydroponics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hydroponics is a subset of hydroculture and is a method of growing plants using mineral nutrient solutions, in water, without soil. Terrestrial plants may be grown with their roots in the mineral nutrient solution only or in an inert medium, such as perlite, gravel, mineral wool, expanded clay or coconut husk.

Researchers discovered in the 18th century that plants absorb essential mineral nutrients as inorganic ions in water. In natural conditions, soil acts as a mineral nutrient reservoir but the soil itself is not essential to plant growth. When the mineral nutrients in the soil dissolve in water, plant roots are able to absorb them. When the required mineral nutrients are introduced into a plant's water supply artificially, soil is no longer required for the plant to thrive. Almost any terrestrial plant will grow with hydroponics. Hydroponics is also a standard technique in biology research and teaching.
    Sounds like an efficient way to grow food without having to worry about what happened to the soil prior to owning it. I have no issue with hydroponics. Others may disagree.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.